Thread: VooDoo Bokor?

mtbr member

VooDoo Bokor?

I have a plan. I recently converted my old 2005 Fetish Discipline hardtail to a SS. I like the SS concept but I don't like my Fetish frame. My plan was to replace the Fetish with a VooDoo Bokor. That had a bunch of advantages.

1. I could use most all of my old components so the cost would just be the cost of the frame.
    2. If I decided to change to 650b, I just needed new wheels and a fork.
    3. I don't need to run a chain tensioner with the Bokor.

But flipping through these forums, I don't see a lot of Bokor's. Is there a reason it's not more popular among SS'ers?
    I live with fear and danger every day. And on the weekends she lets me go mountain biking.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012

Re: VooDoo Bokor?

I have enjoyed mine but had issue with the first set of sliders. The second set has been good, but I am keeping an eye on it.

Bad news is that I can't find replacements. BTI the US dealer is not carrying the parts or frames any longer. I likely will be looking to upgrade in the next cpl yeara

I'll load some pics tonight when I get home.

mtbr member

VooDoo Bokor?

That's definitely a concern. Can other sliders, like the Tange ones I see a lot, work?
    I live with fear and danger every day. And on the weekends she lets me go mountain biking.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I had a Voodoo Dambala a long time ago and also had slider problems. A friend of mine rides a Bokor and had no problems at all with the sliders, but he is much smaller than I am. And no, the sliders are not interchangeable with other brands. How about a Surly 1x1 instead?

MMS
    mtbr member
    Just got one going. Loving it! Between work (mostly) and some ill-timed rain...I haven't had it on the trail yet. The bike feels great to me.
    VooDoo Bokor?-bokor2.jpg
    I'm having more FUN than anybody!

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Sorry for the **** picture. I had just installed the fork here; I need to remember to get some trail pics!

The bike really started to click with me once the On-One fork, and ghetto tubless setup went on.

I'll be installing Chris King BB and headset this weekend. Hopefully it will serve me well for a while; I may have a machine shop copy up the sliders I have 'just in case'.

mtbr member
    I can pick up a new frame for $315. Hard to go wrong at that price.

How's it fit? I'm 5' 6" and currently ride a small Yeti ASR-5. My HT is a 16" Fetish Discipline. I'm probably right in between a 15" Bokor and a 17". I'm thinking of going with the 15" because a) the 17" isn't available at that price and b) the stem I have is rather long.

MMS
    mtbr member
    Mine is a 17". I'm 5'9 and had normally ridden 18" frames. The 17" fits great everywhere but stand over clearance. With the 27.5 set up...it hoists the top tube up into "nut touchin'" range. I'm loving the bike...just have a bit of a phobia on quick dismounts.
    I'm having more FUN than anybody!

mtbr member
    I had one a few years ago. It actually burned in a vehicle fire. Since the frame is magnesium, I mean it really burned...

However, It was very light and was a great and easy SS set up. I did not have any issue with the sliders. I rode an 18" and am 5'6" but have a ling torso for my height. It was right for me. While I enjoy a more slack angled geometry most of the time, the Bokor handled great... instinctive and quick without being twitchy.

Good luck with it.

John
    On One Summer Season Single Speed

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pudmunkie View Post
    Sorry for the **** picture. I had just installed the fork here; I need to remember to get some trail pics!

The bike really started to click with me once the On-One fork, and ghetto tubless setup went on.

I'll be installing Chris King BB and headset this weekend. Hopefully it will serve me well for a while; I may have a machine shop copy up the sliders I have 'just in case'.

Is that a 26/29 combo or is the photo just making the front wheel look a lot bigger?

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    It has a 29 up front; I enjoy the Big front wheel

Big Paws on a Puppy!!
    The Bokor is a nice frame for what it is. It's light, it has a ton of clearance, you can run it single speed or geared, it's rare out on the trail, and the headbadge is cool. I have the 26er version and set it up 650B front and rear with a fox fork up front. The bike felt great with a 120mm travel fork and 650b wheels. I've used a Racing Ralph and a WTB Wolverine in the rear and never had any issues with clearance.

There are a few threads out there where folks have complained of misaligned frames or problems with sliders but my frame has been solid in that regard. My main gripe besides the fact that the headtube can't accept a tapered steerer fork is the fact that the paint finish is tissue paper thin and chips really easy. It's black so I just touch it up with a sharpie and you can't tell the difference but I can't state enough that the finish sucks....

I've also read a ton about the steel vs. aluminum frame debate. I honestly can't tell that much difference between the Bokor and my steel frame (On One Inbred) but maybe its because neither is a super highend frame.

I actually just recently disassembled mine partly because I currently only have room for one bike and my 26er is dialed in the way I want it and partly because I'm waiting to see if the major players in the suspension game are going to cater at all to those of us still running frames with 1 and 1/8" straight head tubes. If nothing shakes out by this time next year, I'll either buy an X-Fusion or a White Bros rigid.

Anyways, here's mine......

VooDoo Bokor?-photo-21-.jpg
    ‎"My bicycle masters boardwalk and quagmire with aplomb." - Tom Nuttall