Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Vision Quest on a SS

2K views 26 replies 10 participants last post by  Padre 
#1 ·
I'm registered to do the Vision Quest on my SS this March, so I'm looking for other SS riders that are planning on doing the VQ as well.
I need to get some more extensive training rides in before the quickly approaching March 4th date.
Shoot me a PM or post on your training schedules and maybe a few of us can hook up for some rides.
If you’ve done the VQ in past on a SS; please feel free to shoot me an idea of what to expect, since this is my first time doing this event (SS or geared).

Cheers-

#2 ·
Burdman said:
I'm registered to do the Vision Quest on my SS this March, so I'm looking for other SS riders that are planning on doing the VQ as well.
I need to get some more extensive training rides in before the quickly approaching March 4th date.
Shoot me a PM or post on your training schedules and maybe a few of us can hook up for some rides.
If you've done the VQ in past on a SS; please feel free to shoot me an idea of what to expect, since this is my first time doing this event (SS or geared).

Cheers-
It's my first time too - maybe my last. :D Sunday I plan to ride the middle third of the VQ, got to at least see it once before the event.
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=155926

#5 ·
VQ on a SS is great...especially if you live in the area and can ride all of the course before hand. I recommend doing the counting coup a few weeks before the event in order to prep yourself. Gear yourself to make most of the climbs on the main divide between b-star and motorway and you'll be able to ride all but horsethief.

Have fun.

B

#8 ·
memories...

Burdman said:
If you've done the VQ in past on a SS; please feel free to shoot me an idea of what to expect, since this is my first time doing this event (SS or geared).
ah yes, the VQ on SS. Here's a brief recap for ya:

It's dark and cold. "Brrrrr" I say to Padre.
"Hey this first climb is really muddy!"
"Man, walking through mud is hard."
"Ok I've been climbing for a day and a half and haven't seen Aid #1 yet."
"Man, walking up hills is hard."
"If I hear 'On your left' one more time I'm gonna scream."
Rudy N. just said 'On your left' and passed me on his MC fixie :(
"This looks like a good place to stop and take a picture. Racing's fun!"
"I can no longer feel my hands, or squeeze a brake lever."
"I swear I just saw a unicorn cross the trail"
"My junior high science teacher was a dick"
"I've made a horrible mistake"
"What's that???? You judges say I'm the first singlespeeder across the finish line??!!" WOW!

turns out I got lost and cut out the last brutal climb on W. Horse Thief and went directly to the finish line, ending my race early. Nice.

good luck to ya.

http://www.warriorssociety.org/Events_And_Results/vision_quest_general_info.html

#9 ·
Very nice Hollywood! :D

You pretty much nailed what I'm expecting for this ride...uh, I mean race. Who am I kidding...I mean ride, b/c I won't be a factor and just need to survive, so there will be no racing.

I'm currently running a 32X18 on my SS, but I'll probably change this to a 32X19 or back to 32X20. Otherwise, I'm sure my knees will be yelling at me somewhere along the main divide just past Beek's place and asking what the "Bleep" I'm doing!

Hollywood said:
ah yes, the VQ on SS. Here's a brief recap for ya:

It's dark and cold. "Brrrrr" I say to Padre.
"Hey this first climb is really muddy!"
"Man, walking through mud is hard."
"Ok I've been climbing for a day and a half and haven't seen Aid #1 yet."
"Man, walking up hills is hard."
"If I hear 'On your left' one more time I'm gonna scream."
"This looks like a good place to stop and take a picture. Racing's fun!"
"I can no longer feel my hands, or squeeze a brake lever."
"I swear I just saw a unicorn cross the trail"
"My junior high science teacher was a dick"
"I've made a horrible mistake"
"What's that???? You judges say I'm the first singlespeeder across the finish line??!!" WOW!

turns out I got lost and cut out the last brutal climb on W. Horse Thief and went directly to the finish line, ending my race early. Nice.

good luck to ya.

http://www.warriorssociety.org/Events_And_Results/vision_quest_general_info.html

#10 · (Edited)
Omg

Hollywood said:
from http://www.warriorssociety.org/voices/

This Rudi.

4. THE GREAT DIVIDE RACE ON A FIXIE Great

The Great Divide Race is a self-supported, solo competition following the 2,465-mile Great Divide Mountain Bike Route. Traversing Montana, Idaho, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico, the route demands over 200,000 feet of climbing along its length. Competitors carry all equipment necessary to negotiate the backcountry, restocking on food and other supplies from the small towns along the route.

In 2005, the first known attempt and finish on a singlespeed bike was accomplished by Issaquah's Kent Peterson. Kent rode a Redline Monocog. In 2006 Rudi Nadler of Tucson will be attempting the race on a full rigid fixed gear mountain bike. You read that right folks … 2,465 miles with no coasting whatsoever! Ye Gods!

Rudy rode a fixed gear in last year's Vision Quest and came in second in the fixed gear class. He was hampered by injuries that after the event put him in the hospital.

To help finance the race, Rudi (who is an accomplished artist - frequently featured in Dirt Rag) is selling handmade prints of his painting "The Prisoner". You can view the print at:

http://www.sock23.com/rudinadler/index.htm

Please help him out if you can.

Go Rudi … Go Rudi … Go Rudi!!!

#11 ·
pacman said:
To help finance the race, Rudi (who is an accomplished artist - frequently featured in Dirt Rag) is selling handmade prints of his painting "The Prisoner". You can view the print at:

http://www.sock23.com/rudinadler/index.htm

Please help him out if you can.

Go Rudi … Go Rudi … Go Rudi!!!
I've got the print on the wall right in front of me. Definitely worth getting (besides helping finance Rudi) - the picture on his website doesn't do it justice.

#12 ·
I had the honor of riding a fair amount of VQ with (ok behind) Rudy. I didn't know about his injuries. This guy not only rocks on that MC of his, but he is a gentleman. He pulled me along the last couple a miles in his draft since he was geared higher than me. At the finish he insisted that I cross the finish before him.

Last year was my first VQ and I did it on my SS. I almost don't want to admit this, but I was geared very low at 32:22. Most of my SS friends laugh at this ratio. Who cares? With the exception of the last 5 miles, there is really no level riding. This gearing enabled me to ride seated and at a slow cadence. My goal was to finish strong, not race. It worked. I actually felt like I had fuel left in the tank at the end without any suffering (except the hike-a-bike).

#13 ·
SScheetz said:
Last year was my first VQ and I did it on my SS. I almost don't want to admit this, but I was geared very low at 32:22. Most of my SS friends laugh at this ratio. Who cares? With the exception of the last 5 miles, there is really no level riding. This gearing enabled me to ride seated and at a slow cadence. My goal was to finish strong, not race. It worked. I actually felt like I had fuel left in the tank at the end without any suffering (except the hike-a-bike).
Ha!
last year was my 2nd VQ and I ran it 32x23 with no shame whatsoever.
Granted, i was pushing 250lbs at the time....

I'll be back at 32x22 this year, or perhaps 32x21.

#14 ·
Padre said:
Ha!

I planning on doing it* fixed this year and am currently running 34:20 (26er). Was wondering if I should add a tooth or two in the back - don't want to spin out too much on the downhill parts. Rode it last year geared with three broken ribs so I don't really have a good base to strat from as far as gearing.

*I'm actually wimping out and doing the Counting Coup this year.

#15 ·
It appears from the responses; dropping it back to the 32X20 is a good idea.
My goal is to climb comfortably and not worry about spinning out.
I've been doing BS, Luge, Harding on the 32X18, so I'm hoping when I change back to a 32X20 for the VQ, it should be pretty nice....at least that's what I'm hoping!

Padre said:
Ha!

#17 ·
DirkSSter said:
get a lighter bike. I didn't realize your bike was so heavy. :rolleyes:

You see...I really was PUSHING around 24 lbs. up the climbs on Main Divide last year. Yep - the vision quest is a really nice hike. ;)
Funny boy Dirk! :D
To get all scientific on you...

My corpse was 245lbs at the time...my bike was 31.5lbs...and my camelback was easily 15lbs. That's a good bit of pushing. ;)

Hey man, I hike more of the main divide than I ride!

#19 ·
FTM said:
I planning on doing it* fixed this year and am currently running 34:20 (26er). Was wondering if I should add a tooth or two in the back - don't want to spin out too much on the downhill parts. Rode it last year geared with three broken ribs so I don't really have a good base to strat from as far as gearing.

*I'm actually wimping out and doing the Counting Coup this year.
i rode the first 40 miles fixed 2 years ago on 26" 34x18 and spun out pretty
hard on the down hills .my buddy calvin ran the same gearing last year fixed
and did very well.but he dominates theVQ in just about every way.

#22 · (Edited)
Scientific training?

Padre said:
Nah...training a bit more scientifically this year. That cuts out fun riding almost entirely for a while. Think of me while you're out there!
This is interesting...I would love to hear what science dictates...because I need all the help I can get. Just think, I can stop riding trails like harding alltogether!

Perhaps a topic for further discussion? PM me your secrets! :D

You will be missed...hope to catch you on another ride.

D

#26 ·
Ride report

It was cold at the start in the canyon, I needed three layers to keep from freezing but I shed the first layer after a mile and another soon after. Lucky me, from the SUV next to me had unloaded a man, his wife, and another woman all singlespeeders. :) He (Skip of Teambasso) is training for the VQ (he may ride geared), the others were along for the ride. It was a nice hard climb, my 34x20 (26" Unit, now riding a Niner) required some standing (so what's new?). For the VQ I'll go lower and comfortably spin - I hope. We kept up a good pace.

The three SS'ers had intended to turn around at a gate by Four Corners. But upon hearing my plans Skip said he would go along for the entire trip and the women would continue up to a memorial spot near the peak. The cross/memorial was for a 48 year-old man who died of a heart attack at that spot. :eek: He had told others to continue on and he would turn around when he felt like it. When they came down he was dead. He was known to this group.

The weather turned out perfect, cool in the shade and warming in the sun. I was told the road up was in fine shape compared to the past. The HJ trail was 99% brushed, one camouflaged stub managed to reach out and snag my arm. I was surprised at some of the rugged gully crossings for an otherwise smooth easy trail. The creek crossings at the bottom were a PITA too, but on the big day wading is an option. At the bottom I got an offer of a shuttle from Skip's house. (My start was late due to family sickness and I took a toll road but police action closed it so I was forced into a detour, crimey!) So we rode out Trabuco Canyon (bumpy) then offroad through hill and dale, tough climbs, seemingly every hill in OC. I began to think that going back over HJ would have been easier. (But I didn't want to face a cold descent). We went through Whiting Ranch where the mountain lion killed Mark Reynolds. I didn't realize how close to development that was. We kept up the pace all the way to his house, no faltering, but I'll sleep well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.