Don't be a sheep
    Sep 2004

Vision Quest gearing?

Anybody know what the top singlespeed riders for the VQ were running for gearing the last few years?

Recovering Weight Weenie
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivet
    Anybody know what the top singlespeed riders for the VQ were running for gearing the last few years?
    Come on now. That's as personal a question as the boxers/briefs issue.

Gearing is effected by riding strength, bike weight, rider weight, rider strength, rider style, etc.

When the record was set on the SS a few years back by local (mtbr lurking) legend, Calvin Mulder, the legend has it he was running 1 gear under 2 to 1...e.g. 34x16.
    For me? That's a big ouchie!

For sure, most SSers at the VQ don't run the folkloric (NorCal influenced) 2 to 1 gear, opting instead for something taller. Since the course involves 11,500' of climbing, it's only reasonable to do so.

I remember one guy rode his stock Monocog last year. Somebody told him the stock gearing would be fine. 38 something. He said his back was on fire before mile 8.

A popular gear for the 26" wheeled riders I know is 34x20, 32x19, etc.

Donkey runs 34x20 on his 29er most of the time.

I run 32x22 on my 29er with no shame. Without that gear, I simply cannot climb those mountains pushing my 250lbs + 30lbs of bike + 20lbs of gear.

My wife on her 1x1 runs 32x20 as does Poacher.

My advice to you, don't try and be tough as far as your gearing goes, be realistic and be ready to climb.....ALOT.

Hope that helps.

edit: Oh yes... regarding the "top ss'ers" last year.. Drewdawg finished first and I believe he runs 34x20...Brian aka Donkey can verify this possibly.

mtbr member

Yeah what the Padre says...

anywhere from 32:18 to 32:20 seems to be alright. Just start stretching now!
    Always preach the Gospel; even if you need to use words.

Don't be a sheep
    Sep 2004

Thanks.

Been running 36-20 for a bit, probably gear down to a 34-20 for the VQ. I've actually done the VQ a couple times a few years back on geared bikes.
    Last edited by Rivet; 12-26-2004 at 08:50 PM.

mtbr member
    calvin set the record at 2x1 36x18 three years ago.two years ago we both ran 34x18
    and were minutes apart at finish.padre and andy have experienced it so as they said anywhere from 32x20 to 36x18 depending on your condition.on a side note i just switched my new 29er to 34x18 the gears had slight wear chain is new i now have a terrible popping sound any ideas thanks.
    Riding single speed is my Crossfit!

SSped
    Jan 2004

Bash Guard

Quote Originally Posted by fixgeardan
    .on a side note i just switched my new 29er to 34x18 the gears had slight wear chain is new i now have a terrible popping sound any ideas thanks.
    Are you running a bash guard? I get popping noise when the pins in the chain hit the bash guard as it goes aroung. usually from the master or speed link area.

Hope that helps

I ran 34x20 the 1st year and 32x20 last year. This year I am planning to run a 34x20.

C ya there.

Don't be a sheep
    Sep 2004

Been there.

Quote Originally Posted by fixgeardan
    on a side note i just switched my new 29er to 34x18 the gears had slight wear chain is new i now have a terrible popping sound any ideas thanks.
    Cog and ring are a bit worn like you said. The chain isn't digging trying to be stretched to fit the worn cog and ring, it'll eventually go away when the chain stretches. If you pedal the bike with the wheel in the air I bet you can watch the front ring try to hold onto the chain as it releases from the bottom of the ring. If you had a derailluer you'd be experiencing mean chainsuck right now.

Medium?
    24:34 [nm]

giddy up!

howdy fellers.

It'll be 34x20 or 32x20 for me my friends!

I'm ready to rawk.

B
    www.thepathbikeshop.com