mtbr member
    Jul 2012

vertical drop outs? need a tensioner?

SO im building a single speed and im buying one peice at a time. i wanna buy a used frame, possible gary fisher or some used frame thats in good shape. if i find one with vertical drop outs will i absoloutly have to put a chain tensioner? i dont like the look of them and im wondering if i would be able to cut the chain to fit.

thanks

Bro Mountainbiker
    Just buy a singlespeed frame. They are not that hard to find.
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

Schipperkes are cool.
    MTBR.com Single Speed Forum - Single Speed FAQ
    My picture is the derailleur with the green Bullseye pulleys
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee
    Better suited to non-aggressive 125# gals named Russell.

Dive Bomber
    Just use half-link and let see if you can get magic gearing.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    You have several good, unobtrusive tensioner options for vertical drop outs like the Eno Hub, Phil or Tr!ckstuff EBB, or Yess ETR-B. There's no reason to limit yourself to just SS frames anymore.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    You could spend $200 on a used fisher frame (not THAT great IMO) or $300 on a new steel SS frame. I know which I'd do...

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    If you're buying a frame specifically to build an SS, then you should definitely buy a ss specific frame. You can get something with vertical drops and a derailleur hanger and an eccentric bottom bracket. Otherwise, you're looking at track dropouts, or some sort of slider or swinger dropouts.

If you're dead set on getting a geared only frame, then you will need some sort of tensioner device; whether it be an eccentric rear hub or derailleur looking tenesioner device. If you want to mess with half links, like mentioned above - that will work too, but it will limit your gear choices to what fits your frame, rather than what fits your riding style and terrain. That's a huge downside in my opinion - but you could get lucky.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Lots of good single speed specific frames out there that won't break the bank. I'm loving my voodoo bokor.

local trails rider
    Vertical dropouts and a good tensioner is such a troublefree setup. My main trailbike now has a Blackspire Stinger, mounted on ISCG tabs, looking after chain tension. If you are a singlespeed purist, that won't do, of course. But then you need a custom frame if you want the kind of frame geometry that I wanted.

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    thanks guys, much help. i have options now.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Pudmunkie View Post
    Lots of good single speed specific frames out there that won't break the bank. I'm loving my voodoo bokor.
    nice man, thanks for that. looks like 300 for a new frame. not bad. with sliding drop outs. i like it

Schipperkes are cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by bad mechanic View Post
    You have several good, unobtrusive tensioner options for vertical drop outs like the Eno Hub, Phil or Tr!ckstuff EBB, or Yess ETR-B. .
    Soulcraft
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee
    Better suited to non-aggressive 125# gals named Russell.

Industry Vet
    Jul 2012
    I've been messing with trying to find the magic gear on my Dirt Research bike and been very disappointed thus far. First I tried a few different cogs from dismantled cassettes. 32/14 was a nice gear for my intended purpose and the chain wasn't too loose. Then I remembered the ghost ring set up. I found a 23t gear fit in the chain and cleared the frame. It worked for a few days and some short rides. Then this morning I rode into the shop I work at and the tensioner gear fell out twice, the second time I couldn't find it. The last mile was littered with dropped chains. I have been determined to find the magic gear, even if it meant not having the gear combo I wanted.I just don't like having a tensioner messing up that simple SS look. I tried 32/12,13,14,15,16, & 17 with a half link and without. The closest I came was 32/15 without a half link, which couldn't quite go into the drop outs. I ended up biting the bullet and buying a singleator we had in stock along with a 14t Surly cog. Next up is to build a dedicated SS wheelset. I'm using some WTB Dual Duty FR hoops but just can't decide on which rear hub to get. I wanna go disc for resale and possible later builds. I also like the idea of a SS cassette hub for the adjustable chain line and ease of swapping gears. Though the lack of replacement SS freehub bodies for the budget minded hubs is unnerving. The hubs I'm looking at are the Woodman and Kore in the cassette market and I've always liked the Paul's hubs but I'd need to get a new chainring and bash guard to get close to the same gear as my current 32/14. Wow that was long. Anyway if anyone has thoughts on this dilemma I'd appreciate some input.
    Last edited by JeepDave; 07-21-2012 at 03:53 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by banks View Post
    Soulcraft
    I've used the Soulcraft before, and I really love the idea, but I found the execution lacking. THe problem I found was in the locked position the Soulcraft tensioner had some play in it, which made adjusting chain tension trial and error.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by JeepDave View Post
    I've been messing with trying to find the magic gear on my Dirt Research bike and been very disappointed thus far. First I tried a few different cogs from dismantled cassettes. 32/14 was a nice gear for my intended purpose and the chain wasn't too loose. Then I remembered the ghost ring set up. I found a 23t gear fit in the chain and cleared the frame. It worked for a few days and some short rides. Then this morning I rode into the shop I work at and the tensioner gear fell out twice, the second time I couldn't find it. The last mile was littered with dropped chains. I have been determined to find the magic gear, even if it meant not having the gear combo I wanted.I just don't like having a tensioner messing up that simple SS look. I tried 32/12,13,14,15,16, & 17 with a half link and without. The closest I came was 32/15 without a half link, which couldn't quite go into the drop outs. I ended up biting the bullet and buying a singleator we had in stock along with a 14t Surly cog. Next up is to build a dedicated SS wheelset. I'm using some WTB Dual Duty FR hoops but just can't decide on which rear hub to get. I wanna go disc for resale and possible later builds. I also like the idea of a SS cassette hub for the adjustable chain line and ease of swapping gears. Though the lack of replacement SS freehub bodies for the budget minded hubs is unnerving. The hubs I'm looking at are the Woodman and Kore in the cassette market and I've always liked the Paul's hubs but I'd need to get a new chainring and bash guard to get close to the same gear as my current 32/14. Wow that was long. Anyway if anyone has thoughts on this dilemma I'd appreciate some input.
    - A good tensioner can work really well, and can let you keep the convenience of vertical drop outs and quick releases. If you want something super easy to and out of the way, take a look at the Yess ETR-B, the Tr!ckstuff, or the Phil eccentric. I have two frame converted to single speed, and I bet you'd never find the tensioner on them looking at the pictures.

The lack of replacement freehub bodies on budget hubs doesn't surprise me at all. I hate to say it, but you get what you pay for. If it's a concern, you could always buy a spare hub or two for parts. Unless you plan on changing gears a lot, going with a freewheel hub shouldn't be an issue, especially if you use a White freewheel (yes, they're that good).

mtbr member
    I just bought the DMR chain tensioner for my vertical dropout frame. This tensioner and others like it attach to the dropout and the skewer/axel, but those to places on my frame in particular were to far apart so I have no choice but to use a spring tensioner. Any suggestions on a good one? Had a Surly Singleator on my last bike, which was alright but I was wondering what else was similar out there.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mayormccool View Post
    I just bought the DMR chain tensioner for my vertical dropout frame. This tensioner and others like it attach to the dropout and the skewer/axel, but those to places on my frame in particular were to far apart so I have no choice but to use a spring tensioner. Any suggestions on a good one? Had a Surly Singleator on my last bike, which was alright but I was wondering what else was similar out there.
    Take a look at the Soulcraft tensioner:
    Soulcraft - Top Notch Bicycle Frames - Petaluma, CA - Mountain, Road, Cyclocross, Singlespeed, 29er

mtbr member
    Oh yeah that looks perfect. I'm interested in how that quick release system works.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mayormccool View Post
    Oh yeah that looks perfect. I'm interested in how that quick release system works.
    I've used one before, and once it's set up correctly the quick release system works very well. The only issue I found with it is getting the right tension takes a little trial and error.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    .... Anyway if anyone has thoughts on this dilemma I'd appreciate some input.
    Have you tried using this?

http://eehouse.org/fixin/formfmu.php

Got my magic gear ratio on the first try. (33x17).

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    File your dropouts a little bit?
    Thanks to www.weavercycleworks.com for my awesome bike frames!

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I like my Redline with sliding drop outs. I can adjust chain tension without having to reset the brake caliper, and have the ease of being able to use a QR.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I use the DMR STS tensioner with great success on my Slingshot. I had to push down on the chain instead of up.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by kayakpete View Post
    I use the DMR STS tensioner with great success on my Slingshot. I had to push down on the chain instead of up.
    DionRidesBikes.com: DMR STS Tension Seeker - REVIEW

mtbr member
    Mine and Sarah's bikes... Using the ENO hub. Tensions the chain just right. Made for vertical drops.

And also applied to other bikes I've owned.

Speaking of vertical, I need to jump in a pool, vertically.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails vertical drop outs? need a tensioner?-dsc03457.jpg  

vertical drop outs? need a tensioner?-dsc03458.jpg  

vertical drop outs? need a tensioner?-dsc03462.jpg  

vertical drop outs? need a tensioner?-dsc03459.jpg  

vertical drop outs? need a tensioner?-dsc03460.jpg  

vertical drop outs? need a tensioner?-dsc03461.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images