'r you some kinda ssissy?

var dishing gauge and ss wheel (cross post)

will the var dishing gauge work on a ss rear wheel. the reason i ask is because my park, home wheel hack dishing gauge is not deep enough to sit on the rear axle and touch both sides of the rim at the same time.

Where's Toto?
    Not sure about the Var, but you can increase the depth on your Park by attaching two small blocks on each side where the gauge meets the rim. You can use something like a piece of 1-inch aluminum c-channel, couple of plastic legos blocks, or even a couple small pieces of a wood 1x1 - as long as both are of the same size. You are measuring from the locknuts and not the end of the axle - right?

One gear to rule them all
    ooopps
    Last edited by 32seventeen; 01-27-2005 at 06:43 PM. Reason: dp=double post
    Todd............. If you can't be kind, at least have the decency to be vague

Quote Originally Posted by ssissy
    will the var dishing gauge work on a ss rear wheel. the reason i ask is because my park, home wheel hack dishing gauge is not deep enough to sit on the rear axle and touch both sides of the rim at the same time.
    That does not make any sense. Your dishing guage will work exactly the same on any mountain bike wheel. It doesn't matter if it's geared or single. The measurement from the outer lock nut to the rim is the same on both. I use a Campy dishing tool, so I am not sure what is going on with your park tool. But it's not the fact that it is being used on a SS. Happy dishing

huh

my rear axle is solid and there is no hole in the dishing gauge for the axle to pass. you right i'm not really measuring the dish, unless i have the same amount of axle on each side, which i do.

how do you get the tool to sit on the locknut?

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by endure26
    Not sure about the Var, but you can increase the depth on your Park by attaching two small blocks on each side where the gauge meets the rim...as long as both are of the same size...
    It does not matter if the blocks are the same size or not. You could even just use one block
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

i was wondering about that

i was wondering about that.

Where's Toto?
    The idea is to measure the distance from the locknut (where the wheel meets the dropout) to the outside/brake surface of the rim. The distance should be the same on each side for the wheel to be correctly dished and thus the rim to be centered in the frame. The tool won't necessarily be perfectly centered on the wheel when you take the measurement if you have the thumbscrew type tool (vice the offset sliding gauge on a park or minoura). Place the ends on the rim and then adjust the gauge so it touches the lockring. Flip the wheel over and check the other side - measurement should be the same. Tighten or loosen spokes as appropriate to adjust the centering of the rim/hub.

Idea! Wag-3???

Quote Originally Posted by ssissy
    my rear axle is solid and there is no hole in the dishing gauge for the axle to pass. you right i'm not really measuring the dish, unless i have the same amount of axle on each side, which i do.

how do you get the tool to sit on the locknut?
    Here is what park says...The WAG-3 operates on a similar principle as the WAG-4 above. It is necessary to remove the tire and quick release or axle nuts to use the WAG-3. The WAG-3 uses a threaded pointer. Hold the pointer just to the side of the axle, and adjust the end of the pointer so it is flush with the axle locknut face. Turn the wheel over and compare the setting to the other side of the wheel.
    For more info...http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/wag.shtml
    Last edited by 32seventeen; 01-27-2005 at 08:28 PM. Reason: y-knot

thanks

thanks for the advice