beer *****es n' bikes

V-brakes w/ drop bars? (on an SS ;-)

I was setting up my SS today for like the umpteenth time and just realized that when my discs come I will have a set of Avid SD3's laying around. Problem is I am running WTB dirtdrops and can't find a lever that will work with the V-brakes and fit a drop bar. Right now I am running some old Schwinn non-aero drop levers with cantilevers. They are ok but a real PITA to setup and squeal like nuts. What are my options? We just got some Cane Creek cross levers in at work which got me all excited but they are cantilever/u brake only.

Thanks
    Jon
    bike dude, velocity employee (this is my personal account)

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?

these'll do it....

http://www.webcyclery.com/.docs/prod...t_details.html

or bikeman.com, or aebike.com, and a few others have them online. or your LBS, whatever works for ya.

i've used them with v and disc brakes. or, you can use a travel agent type style pulley, but for a bit more $$, you can get the levers. much nicer feelinga nd looking, IMHO.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

Not a regular
    Jan 2004

Dia-Compe 287V

Dia-Compe makes a lever called 287V that is for drop bars and v-brakes. No need for silly rollers / adapters. Don't know where to get them though. You might be able to contact them at diatek@aol.com or diatech@ms15.hinet.net (their Taiwan office)

King Pin

287v's

Quality (QBP) has 'em. Your LBS can order for you.

They are NOT cheap, unless you find 'em for thirty one bucks on the MTBR board, as I recently did! Retail is approx. $70.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by seely
    I was setting up my SS today for like the umpteenth time and just realized that when my discs come I will have a set of Avid SD3's laying around. Problem is I am running WTB dirtdrops and can't find a lever that will work with the V-brakes and fit a drop bar. Right now I am running some old Schwinn non-aero drop levers with cantilevers. They are ok but a real PITA to setup and squeal like nuts. What are my options? We just got some Cane Creek cross levers in at work which got me all excited but they are cantilever/u brake only.

Thanks
    Jon
    The Dia Compe 287V levers are the way to go. I tried the Travel Agents and they would not hold their adjustment.

The 287Vs are made for use with Vbrakes and they work very well and they work great with my Avid discs. I find the hoods very comfortable, too.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

highly visible

Smile Love my 287-Vs

I upgraded my 'crosser to Vs (avid SD7s) almost a year ago. BTW, the Vs are a big step up in power from the Shorty 6 cantis I had before. I bit the bullet and got the Dia-Compe 287-Vs (about $65 at the LBS). They're awesome. The look isn't as clean, with the cables exiting the hoods at an angle instead of running under the bar tape, but presumably the straighter cable run improves performance.

My only nitpick is that the TOPS of the hoods are kinda pointy, as opposed to the Shimano brake levers I've used which are fat and wide on top. Sometimes I like to cruise along really stretched out, with my hands out PAST the ends of the bars, and wrapped around the tops of the hoods. This position isn't very comfortable or secure on the Dia-Compes. Not a huge deal, since most people don't use that position and I don't use it that much of the time myself, but it is a minor shortcoming.

beer *****es n' bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by xrmattaz
    Quality (QBP) has 'em. Your LBS can order for you.

They are NOT cheap, unless you find 'em for thirty one bucks on the MTBR board, as I recently did! Retail is approx. $70.
    I work for my LBS so I can get them cheap Gotta love being able to get cost for stuff.
    bike dude, velocity employee (this is my personal account)