Thread: UtiliTiMan ?'s

Let me ask my wife

New question here. UtiliTiMan ?'s

I have a line on an early UtiliTiMan and wanted to know if everyone that has one still likes them. This isn't the full custom jobby but an earlier model that happens to be a perfect match for my build.

I'm partial to the 26" wheels and since I can't buy one anymore does anyone have an idea what fair value may be? Thanks.
    WTB: Syncros 31.8 seatpost
    Syncros threadless 1"x120 or 130mm stem
    Syncros cranks 180mm preferred

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Without a Doubt...

its my favorite bike. I have a five year old Ute, the second that Matt built with the more stout 1.375" downtube. Mine was also built to be a dedicated geared rig with vertical dropouts and a d. hanger. I have since converted it to SS and it will never see another FD (can;t rule out 1x9). I LOVE this bike. Besides the fact that it has a uniqeness to it by virture of the fact that i believe its the only dedicated 26" geared bike MC made, the bike just rides special. My other MTb is a full Ti Moots Smoothie. I would not part with either bike! I like the higher (for gearies) BB height. Also the longer than NORBA defined 16.75" chainstays give the bike a different feel from other hard tails i have had. I would not hesitate to get one of his frames if you have the chance!! You will not be disappointed. MC is always very accessible. Five years after the torture i put him through while deciding on the frame then pestering him during the waiting phase I still go to Matt for advice on bike set-ups (for all my rigs) and he is always willing to help, just a phenomenal guy!!
    MTBDad
    MCM #47.867

"Freedom has a scent like the top of a newborn baby's head" - Bono

mtbr member

yes

If the frame is a "perfect match" for your build you will be most pleased! Mine is still hands the down the best riding frame I've ever had. It definitely rides differently than all the NORBA-style frames out there, very SS specific, but I think Matt was really on to something there. The only problem is the little wheels

Let me ask my wife
    I kicked around a Mutinyman but my primary riding is on very tight singletrack with short steep climbs. I guess I'm not ready to pull the 29'er trigger yet. Besides, I'll save over $1k buying this frame over a new frame.

Quote Originally Posted by ShivaSteve
    The only problem is the little wheels

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    Very comfortable frame. Given the option, I'd buy one if it fit well, the price is right, and I was still into 26ers.
    "Keep your burgers lean and your tires fat." -h.d. | bikecentric | ssoft

Account Retired
    I still love mine! Best riding mountain bike I've ever owned.

mtbr member

29er

Quote Originally Posted by HoSS
    I kicked around a Mutinyman but my primary riding is on very tight singletrack with short steep climbs. I guess I'm not ready to pull the 29'er trigger yet. Besides, I'll save over $1k buying this frame over a new frame.
    I was in the same place and I ride the same type of stuff...I'll never go back to little wheels.

Let me ask my wife
    That's not the first time I heard that. Perhaps next year I'll pull the trigger on a 29'er.

Quote Originally Posted by InfXXIV40-60
    I was in the same place and I ride the same type of stuff...I'll never go back to little wheels.

Stokeless Asshat

Hear it one more time.

Quote Originally Posted by HoSS
    That's not the first time I heard that. Perhaps next year I'll pull the trigger on a 29'er.
    Never rode a Ute but this thing is the best riding rig I`ve saddled.Everyone I`ve loaned it too says the same.
    Attached Images Attached Images