Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Urban SS questions: Soulcraft, LRP, or chainguide?

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Ganz 
#1 ·
What are your thoughts in regard to which of the three would make for the best chain tensioner? I'm converting my urban hardtail to SS, and haven't made up my mind as to which one of these makes the most sense. I don't mind the mini arm of a Soulcraft tensioner back there, but, in that same regard....I have an LRP lying around, and was wondering if that would work as well. It shouldn't matter where the chain slack is taken up----be it front or rear, as long as it's tight, right? I also have a TruVativ chainguide that I could use.........which would be better?

#3 ·
Surly Singleator vs. Soulcraft Convert

I started with singleator on a 32:16 setup and only dropped a chain once. Riding the trails was great then I broke it during clean up/maintenance so I decided to try Soulcraft.

Soulcraft is a far superior product in my opinion, but I only tried these two and have not taken the bike with Soulcraft to the trail because it has since become a dedicated commuter with a 44:16 and 1 inch skiny road tires.

Still, set up is easier on Soulcraft and now I've gotten a frame with horizontal drop out.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.