Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Upgrades that you are dreaming of

5K views 29 replies 26 participants last post by  mbeardsl 
#1 ·
It seems we all like to post pictures of our bikes but not everyone as a totally awesome bike yet. How about sharing a photo and a bit about what you would like to do to upgrade your ride.

If your bike is not yet totally maxed out share it here with ten specific upgrades that would be needed to make it totally awesome. If you can't list ten upgrades then please don't post your bike here.

If your bike is fully maxed out start a different thread and/or post it in the "Who has the baddest singlespeed?" thread.

I will start out the upgrade dreaming....

My current bike is a little bit lame but it is a work in progress and it rides nice. It just needs some bling to get to the next level.

#1 my hydro cables way to long thankfully that is an easy fix and XT hydro's are totally fine brakes in my book so no upgrading planned.

#2 The seat post does not match stem. I feel the need for ENVE carbon post.

#3 phenom pro saddle for the new carbon post.

#4 ENVE stem

#5 ENVE bars (I hope they come out with some bars that have 20 degrees of sweep)

#6 I am fairly happy with the Stan's rims but I want to replace them with some made in the USA ENVE rims.

#7 I am happy with my PAUL hubs and WI freewheel but may want I9s or King for my next wheelset.

#8 The current spokes are DT work fine but I want some made in the USA Wheelsmith spokes

#9 The cranks need some bling so I am looking at getting XTR at some point

#10 A Lefty fork is in the long term plan

If I got the list done then the bike would be ready for the totally awesome build thread along with the others on the "Who has the baddest singlespeed?" thread.

How about you, what does your bike need?

See less See more
#3 ·
I pedal like a duck and have had clearance issues with cranks based on square taper designs. I have had a problem with my ankle bones hitting the crank spindle. Would love to try white ind cranks.

Warning, political rant...I have a bias towards "Made in the USA" stuff but really as long as stuff does not come out of RED china it is all good in my book. XTR is from Japan and good stuff from a health democracy that is an US ally. On the other hand, my computer is likely china made stuff so I am a hypocrite. For my dream bike bike, I like to avoid supporting an evil oppressive regime.

While we are dreaming I would love some Dugast tires for the dream bike.

How about your bike what would it take to be top of the line in your own mind or are you already there?

#5 ·
My current bike is a little bit lame but it is a work in progress and it rides nice. It just needs some bling to get to the next level.

#1 my hydro cables way to long thankfully that is an easy fix and XT hydro's are totally fine brakes in my book so no upgrading planned.

#2 The seat post does not match stem. I feel the need for ENVE carbon post.

#3 phenom pro saddle for the new carbon post.

#4 ENVE stem

#5 ENVE bars (I hope they come out with some bars that have 20 degrees of sweep)

#6 I am fairly happy with the Stan's rims but I want to replace them with some made in the USA ENVE rims.

#7 I am happy with my PAUL hubs and WI freewheel but may want I9s or King for my next wheelset.

#8 The current spokes are DT work fine but I want some made in the USA Wheelsmith spokes

If I got the list done then the bike would be ready for the totally awesome build thread along with the others on the "Who has the baddest singlespeed?" thread.

How about you, what does your bike need?
You have very expensive taste!

#6 · (Edited)

OK, Here we go.

#1 color mismatched wheels. I'd like a black rear wheel. Might use a black LX/Alex wheel I have in the parts bin, but the LX hub is not SS-specific and the Alex rim is a bit narrow.

#2 color mismatched seatpost. Want: black seatpost

#3 rear hub. Currently: cheap, heavy, silent, 15 POE Formula. Want: SS hub with sexy sound and lots of POE's, like Hope SS.

#4 seat: I like my Flite but the color has worn off a bit + a black one would be nicer.

#5 mullet brake setup. Actually like the possibility to use my Velosolo Disc cog, so no plans to chance anything there.

#6 pedals: not too fond of my CB Candy's. Want XT / XTR's?

#7 no problems with my $5 stamped cog but Surly or CK is nicer of course.

#7 ·

My bike is pretty well pimped at this point but there's a few things I would like:

1. 185mm front rotor - I keep oscillating on this, as I worry about banging the larger rotor on rocks, but I suspect it will happen eventually.
2. Carbon fork - preferably the niner one in nude carbon
3. Lighter wheels - at my weight I'd probably keep the flows for rockier stuff but suspect Arches would be fine for the majority of my riding.
4. Black cable housing - the "green" I ordered looks a lot more like yellow to me :)
5. New seat - the bonty Evoke R that is on there is probably the nicest seat I've ever had, but I'm sure there are some nicer ones out there.
6. Setback seatpost (OK I've already done this since the picture was taken, just trying to see if I can get to 10)
7. Better hubs - the surly hubs I have have been pretty good. Bearings only last about a year but the shell has held up great. If I got a pair of arches I would probably look to do a nicer hub like a hope or CK.
8. QR seat collar - now I am really grasping at straws
9. I need to put on a new bashguard. I put the surly chainring I had onto the old trek that's at the edge of the picture while turning it into a 1x7, and the mounting bolts that came with the niner ring I put on weren't long enough to accomodate a bashguard. Maybe I should be doing this for the trek instead, though I don't really see it ever being a singlespeed.
10. Dropping 20 pounds of rider weight or so would be very nice.

#9 ·
4. More time to ride

Mine is pretty close, and none of the below will make me a better rider really...

5. Wheelset w/ Flow EX rims for the Ardents (fat/beefy wheelset)
6. set of Ikons for the Crest (light/fast wheelset)
7. 33T HBC ring (ordered, who knows when I'll actually get it if ever)

I'm really happy with it now though, the happiest I've been with any bike...

Eventually I'd like to grind off all of the gearie junk and powdercoat the frame a nice bright red. I love red bikes.

#10 ·
Not a mountain bike

I'm not sure if it even has ten parts. This winter I'd like

1) A 46t and a 47t chainring.

2) A 13t cog. That and the chainrings will bring me to a full 46-48 and 13-16 run, enough to hit any of the gear ratios I actually use at the velodrome.

3) Already have them, but haven't put 'em on - road pedals.

If life is cooperative with more track racing in future,
I might just replace the whole thing. If not,

4) Aero track wheels. Have to decide about tubular vs. clincher, but I think most "serious" wheels don't give me a choice.

If life is cooperative with more training time in future

5) Pumping iron in the off-season.

6) Cat. 2? I think I can make 3 on cleverness and more directed use of the training time I have now.

I know you asked for ten, but the crank works fine, the saddle, seatpost, seatpost collar all work fine, I'm happy with the handlebars, the stem works fine, the spacers work fine, the headset works fine. So I'm kinda not sure what else I would bolt to it.

#11 · (Edited)

DUDE! your bike is not lame at all! But I know what you're talking- I've had similar thoughts about dream upgrades as you but being value oriented I can't even imagine spending the coin for it. most everything would be for looks as I could maybe save 1/2 lbs from what I'd be upgrading from. big time diminishing returns. so... if I was filthy rich:

ENVE rims (de-stickered cause I don't want to look like I'm fast cause I'm not).
ENVE bar
ENVE stem
ENVE post
magura MT8 brakes
eggbeater titanium pedals
CX-ray spokes- for looks only.
lightweight chain, hollow pins and all
chris king griplock conversion for headset (this I might actually do).
replace red grips with black ones so it's more matchy (when they get dirty I'll upgrade these too).

edited cause I forgot a pic (already posted pic in the "fully rigid 29er" thread)

#13 ·
i'd like a knard rabbit hole rim/tire combo for the front of my bike. don't know if it would fit though.

rest of my junk works just fine so till run it till it breaks. maybe a ti 26.8 400m seatpost but that is so rare it would cost too much since it would probably need to be custom so i'll skip it unless i find one on fleabay.

oh and really i'd like a personal trainer/ physical therapist so my collarbone could heal quicker. i miss riding my crappy old bike and i am bummed it will be cold and sh!tty by the time i can get back to riding!

#18 ·
Running a KHS Solo One SE. Steel bike rides nice. Would love an El Mariachi for the swinging dropouts! But my bike's geo is pretty much the same.

I would consider parting with some cash for a 26.8 Ti post with 0 setback. Is there such a beast?? Other than that, I'm good. Picked up the last Niner Carbon Fork for $199, and excited to give that a try. Running those WTB all mountain wheels. May be a little heavier, but sure hold up well for my weight and my poor form on rocky stuff!

#15 ·
Enve wheelset
Ritchey WCS stem
xtr brakes
phenom saddle
eggbeater Ti pedals
Two new Ikons
New ergons
XTR crank
33t rotor ring and a 34t
Thought about a new fork but thats just to hit ten wishes and not be booted from the thread!
Inride power meter for my trainer

Attachments

#16 ·
Here is mine

This is a somewhat attainable list but we will see where the holidays take me.

1. XTR brakes I have some Hayes strokers on there but am debating just putting the BB7 back on since these hayes arent too impressive. I guess XTs would be acceptable.
2. Thompson elite seatpost
3. Big fat 2.4 front tire for some more cushion.
4. Some nice hubs. I actually really like the wtb speed discs on here. Best rim profile I have seen for tubeless.
5. Some kind of lightweight stem I guess?
6. A new bottle of Stans?
7. New cranks. I really like the modded XTR cranks. I believ they are M960.
8. Some lighter bars. Carbon?
9. An I phone mount
10. Last but not least......a new saddle bag!!

#17 ·
minh;9834917if I was filthy rich: ENVE rims (de-stickered cause I don't want to look like I'm fast cause I'm not). ENVE bar ENVE stem ENVE post [B said:
magura MT8 brakes[/B]
eggbeater titanium pedals
CX-ray spokes- for looks only.
lightweight chain, hollow pins and all
chris king griplock conversvion for headset (this I might actually do).
replace red grips with black ones so it's more matchy (when they get dirty I'll upgrade these too).
Be careful tightening the lever mounting bolts; they are aluminum. We had a hamfist strip them out before he even took the bike out of the shop.

#21 ·
My current bike is a little bit lame but it is a work in progress and it rides nice.
Man, you built that bike yourself, that's about as top-shelf as it gets.

He's a photo of my Spot that's about to be upgraded away by a N-9. Now you truly know lame. :thumbsup:

1. Spot longboard 1x9 with Singleator replaced by a Nimble 9.
2. Could use a good crank to replace the cheap Firex.
3. Replacing the BB-7s with some hydros would be nice, but why?
4. I'll have to get a new stem to fit me to the frame and to fit the geometry/attitude of the bike (ie - much shorter). Once I get it figured out I'll buy something nice.
5. I'll upgrade the tires/rims to tubeless eventually.
6. Changing from MG-1s to Crampon Ultimates with the new frame
7. I'll probably add a pimp ass seatpost binder at some point to match the blue pedals and bash.

Everything else is good to go from one frame to the other. I've even got one of those flesh colored saddles that make it look like I'm way too happy to be out riding.

The new bike will get a riser bar, but it's not really an upgrade from the Woodchipper, just different.

So to get to 10 I'll have to count the frame as more than one upgrade. ;) How about counting each improvement?

9, Better geometry for the twisty turny steep and rocky deer trails here
9. The Spot is too big, the Nimble will fit right.
10. Sliders instead of vertical drops with a singleator

Attachments

#25 ·
3. Replacing the BB-7s with some hydros would be nice, but why?
I changed out from BB7s to XT hydros this year and wish I had done so much sooner. The XTs are totally the bomb and make me happy every time I hear them not squeal. Braking is way stronger then BB7s with much more control and they handle dirt much better because it is a sealed system.

#23 ·
09 Monocog Flight

1. Nicer crankset, leaning towards an XT
2. Ti lay-back seat post
3. Fox suspension fork
4. Cane Creek 40 headset
5. Niner flat bar
6. Niner chain ring
7. Ikon rear tire, Ardent 2.4 front
8. XT hydro brakes to replace the BB7s
9. XTR pedals
10. Replace frame with El Mariachi Ti

#26 ·
I'm not planning on racing my SS, so the weight isn't too big of a deal. I prefer function and feel and quality over weight for this bike. I keep playing with the idea of flat pedals.

1. I9/Flow rear wheel I am getting
2. Niner Carbon fork
3. Ardent 2.4 to go up front and move the current Ardent 2.4 in the front out back
4. Carbon Bars
5. Nicer Cranks in the 175mm variety. I have 180mm now and have to be careful about rock strikes.
6. Nice Cog. I saw a J.B.C. cog on ebay that looks pretty sweet for $45.
7. Nicer stem. Lets just say ENVE cuz all the cool kids are saying it ;)
8. Xpedo pedals
9. Bling Salsa seatpost clamp
10. New Chainring

Things that are working for me that I will just leave as they are too much trouble to change or they work fine/great the way they are
BB7's w/ 185's
WTB Rocket V chromo
Cheap Zeus carbon seatpost
FSA headset
Hope/Flow front wheel I built up after I taco'ed the stock one
KMC chain

#30 ·
I will start out the upgrade dreaming....

If you go Lefty, also get the rear SS specific hub to match from Project 321 as they use I9 internals. I love mine and have the wheel sitting around if you ever want to try it.

If you go XTR, look into ceramikoating (posts here as crazy8, good guy), but pick anything other than white ;) He will also modify the cranks if you wish.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.