Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Upgrades for an older bike

795 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Bobmouse 
#1 ·
I have a 1999 rock-hopper which I have converted to single speed and been riding for a while now. The only thing I'm not happy with is the fork as it is heavy and it bob's when I stand going up hill. Could anyone one suggest a good upgrade to my rock shox jet forks?. I have been asking in the suspension forum with no luck. I figured you ss guys and girls are a friendly more helpful bunch.

#3 ·
Go for a rigid fork. My singlespeed is an old early 90s hardrock with a rigid fork. I love it. It climbs exceptionally because I dont lose effort to fork flex and bobbing. Every time I hop on my geared race bike with Marzo fork, it feels weird, like a pogo stick.. Plus, rigid forks are a quite a bit lighter and less expensive (unless you go plastic.. errr carbon).

Good luck

#5 ·
I had a 2000 Trek with a Jett, I don't blame you for wanting to upgrade. You have a ton of options. Check the reviews section and figure out your budget. Go to
http://www.spadout.com/c/mountain-biking/ and see what kind of bargains you can find.

Things to think about:

Travel--I assume yours has 80 or 100mm, you can generally add or subtract 20mm without affecting handling too much, but I would stay with what your bike came with.
Air (lighter) or coil (plusher, more durable) sprung?
Lockout important?
U-turn? (Rockshox' adjustable travel system)
Axle size--unless you're getting new wheels, you'll want a standard 9mm quick release
What brake mounts do you need? Posts for rim brakes, or disc mounts? some have both.

That's all I can think of. You can often find great deals on closeouts of last year's models, for 200-300 bucks you should be able to pick up a great fork. Or you can spend less and take your chances on Ebay.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.