The Top Cap Guy

Update on my SS (tires and longer cranks)

Here's some updates I've recently done to my bike....

New XTR 180mm cranks (was running 175mm arms) - I know Sparty and Shiggy - these are still not long.

Switched my WTB Weirwolfs/Mavic X3.1/King ISO's to my Heckler and brought back the King Iso/Mavic X317 with Stans Conversion and now running the Panaracer Trail Raker 1.95 The TrailRaker is a 1.95 and fits with tons of clearance.

I'm taking it out for a night ride Thursday (hopefully with some new light snow). I'm anxious to see if I notice any differences with the cranks and see how well the new tires work.

ALSO - anyone with a set of 2003 XT cranks want to sell me your bolts? (just like I have pictured) They use a 10mm allen instead of the regular 8mm bolt - I have a set of black SRP Ti bolts I'll trade???!!??

Later
    FF
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "If I'm leading, I'm bleeding."

mtbr member

Freddy...

the tire clearance issue seems to be solve with the moonrakers(sorry, watching alot of Bond lately!).

Where are you night riding tomorrow? Can I tag along?

MC

The Top Cap Guy
    Yep - the Panaracer tires seem to be "smaller" for the advertised size... kid of like my Schwalbe Fast Freds - but the TrailRakers do look like they are going to clear the mud as Shiggy suggested!

The ride is at John Bryan - first night ride - they got a special exception to do it Thursday - the park normally closes at dark - but they worked a deal out to ride! Here's the link to the info - if you want to go let me know!

FF

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast Freddy

New XTR 180mm cranks (was running 175mm arms) - I know Sparty and Shiggy - these are still not long.

Switched my WTB Weirwolfs/Mavic X3.1/King ISO's to my Heckler and brought back the King Iso/Mavic X317 with Stans Conversion and now running the Panaracer Trail Raker 1.95 The TrailRaker is a 1.95 and fits with tons of clearance...
    Later
    FF
    Looks good, Freddy! Most Panaracers do run "small". They should work well for you.

This will give you an idea of the clearance I have on the Chester. That is a Gazzi 2.6 in the pic.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

The Top Cap Guy
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy©®™
    This will give you an idea of the clearance I have on the Chester. That is a Gazzi 2.6
    I know - some day I'll have a SS Frame that can handle a meaty tire - I was liking that Vulture with the fancy pieces on the chainstays (near the BB) - looked like tons of clearnace there!

FF

Faster Than Your TV!

Sweet ride, FF! nm

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Freddy

Switched my WTB Weirwolfs/Mavic X3.1/King ISO's to my Heckler and brought back the King Iso/Mavic X317 with Stans Conversion and now running the Panaracer Trail Raker 1.95 The TrailRaker is a 1.95 and fits with tons of clearance.

I'm taking it out for a night ride Thursday (hopefully with some new light snow). I'm anxious to see if I notice any differences with the cranks and see how well the new tires work.

ALSO - anyone with a set of 2003 XT cranks want to sell me your bolts? (just like I have pictured) They use a 10mm allen instead of the regular 8mm bolt - I have a set of black SRP Ti bolts I'll trade???!!??

Later
    FF
    nice machine

KMA
    T U R T L E S P E E D

Q's about the spicer frame

Nice bike! I'm getting a custom spicer made w/eccentric bb. Do you ever have problems with the eccentric bb (creaking)? Also, how do like the ti forks?

The Top Cap Guy
    Quote Originally Posted by KMA
    Nice bike! I'm getting a custom spicer made w/eccentric bb. Do you ever have problems with the eccentric bb (creaking)? Also, how do like the ti forks?
    Thanks - the EBB has always been quite... I never even took it out and lubed it - Gene did it for me before he shipped it so I never messed with it. It's never made any noise though. By the way mine is a pinch bolt style.

Love the fork - super plush for a rigid fork. I have been concerned about breakage from other reports of bikers but my 220 lbs still has yet to have any issues 8 months with it.

Are you going steel, aluminum, or Ti on your custom build?

Later
    FF

mtbr member

Question on the Panaracer Trail Raker's.

Have you done a few rides yet? How are the tires? I am looking for a rear mud type tire for racing.

KMan