Thread: Which tyres?

mtbr member
    Sep 2006

Which tyres?

I have just gone rigid after getting a new fork and am finding it quite hard going but nothing that can't be solved if I get it setup right with a fatter tyre up front. What tyres would you recommend for a 26r rigid single speed.?

mtbr member
    I'd recommend getting a Weirwolf, probably 26x2.3 or 2.5, i've had excellent luck with that tire for the front, but does especially well on the rear as well. Since you can flip the direction in the rear, it provides an excellent amount of grip with the rolling resistance not being all that noticeable. The conditions I use them in are East Coast, tight, technical singletrack, with roots and rocks logs. Seeing as you're from across the pond, I'm guessing that the conditions might be somewhat similar, but what type of conditions do you ride in?

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I'm riding in the mud and gloop at the moment. Spring is just around the corner so hopefully things will firm up soon. I was thinking about a 2.3 on the front and something like a 2.1 on the back.

mtbr member
    So, weirwolf's not really good for mud, because when you hit that mud it's like hitting a wall. I've been told the IRC Trailbear might be a good one to try for the rear, Continental Explorer, For the front, just try a tire with lower profile center knobs with more extended knobs on the side. Maxxis ADvantage is another one that's good for the front.