Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Two-speed singlespeed...

3K views 29 replies 13 participants last post by  Slimpee 
#1 ·
By accident I maybe have come up with a decent idea for a "two-speed singlespeed" (although i'm sure it's not a novel idea).

What is this, you ask? While I unsuccessfully tried to figure out how to adjust the tension on my Nashbar chain tensioner I broke it. Frustrated, I put the old derailleur back on because I don't want to spend $50 on a singulator. I also didn't have any singlespeed chainring bolts so I simply kept the big ring (42t) on as a bashguard.

On my way over to Steefs last night I was wicked spinning on the road w/ a 32/16 combo which was fairly annoying. Steef and Beckel noticed I had quite a bit of chain w/ this setup so it occurred to me that perhaps I could kill two birds with one stone so tonight I pulled the chain onto the big ring and voila, it worked! It made a bit of noise compared to the straight chainline setup but in riding around the block it felt smooth and the chain didn't come off the cog. I can see this setup working nicely for riding on the road and switching when I get to the trail.

My question is: Is there any reason why I SHOULDN'T do this? Will it prematurely wear out my chain and cog w/ the slightly askew chainline when in the big gear?

#30 ·
First:

:thumbsup:

Second: Had the whip out on the trail this weekend and really enjoyed it! No dropped chains and realized i'm very much out of shape. Great times! I'll post a pic of the bike when I get one...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.