mtbr member

two master links for varible chain

i have a monocog 26. the frame has track ends. i change my rear cog size a lot from 20t for technical trails to 18t, 16t, or 14t for road with a 32t front chainring. the dropouts ("track ends" for you nitpickers) have enough room in them that my existing chain -KMC z610hx- can handle the 20t with the axle nearly to the absolute front of the slot, to 14t with it near the end. the problem is that moving the axle around changes the geometry and feel of the bike.

so i thought i could cut my chain to run the axle slammed with the 14t, then have a bit of spare chain to connect with a master link (a REAL master link, not a quick link) to accommodate the larger cog. that would mean i have have a two- or three- link section spliced into the chain using two master links for the largest cog and a shorter chain with only one master link for the smallest cog.

my only question is, how reliable would this be compared to running just one master link? i have heard a lot of sketchy things about master links, but i don't think i have ever broken one. i run a bash guard and the clip on the master link is on the inside of the chain, closer to the bike.

meatier showers
    This is what I do. No problems.

A chain is only as strong as its weakest link. Two "equally weakest" links don't change the odds of disaster striking -- it only takes one. This comment implies that I think master links are weak, but that's not actually the case.

--sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Agreed with Mr. Sparticus. On my bikes which use a halflink, it's connected in using two masterlinks. Zero problems. If you use a high quality master, there will be little to no drop in strength.

meatier showers
    Quote Originally Posted by bad mechanic
    Agreed with Mr. Sparticus. On my bikes which use a halflink, it's connected in using two masterlinks. Zero problems. If you use a high quality master, there will be little to no drop in strength.
    Yes. I bought the half links and master links that you recommended -- they're the shiznit. Thank you.

--sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Ovaries on the Outside
    Consensus, then. I think every bike I own has multiple masterlinks for some reason or another.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    so what's the single speed chain and master link of choice?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'd also like to know the master link and half link of choice. Can I get them in 3/32" (8 speed)?

Happy Trails,
    Winky

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Winky
    I'd also like to know the master link and half link of choice. Can I get them in 3/32" (8 speed)?
    Masterlink:
    http://www.amazon.com/KMC-Z610H-Mast.../dp/B0013CVW56

Half link:
    http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...s.php?id=22297

You'll need two of those master links for the listed half link.

The KMC master links in the link above is nickel plated and very nicely made, unlike most BMX style master links.

The Gusset half link is nickel plated, unlike most half links. They also sell it already joined to a set of inner plates, the reason being they can peen the ends of the pin for extra strength. Also, unlike other half links, the Gusset is the superior bushingless design.

meatier showers
    Quote Originally Posted by bad mechanic
    Masterlink:
    http://www.amazon.com/KMC-Z610H-Mast.../dp/B0013CVW56

Half link:
    http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...s.php?id=22297

You'll need two of those master links for the listed half link.

The KMC master links in the link above is nickel plated and very nicely made, unlike most BMX style master links.

The Gusset half link is nickel plated, unlike most half links. They also sell it already joined to a set of inner plates, the reason being they can peen the ends of the pin for extra strength. Also, unlike other half links, the Gusset is the superior bushingless design.
    These are what I run whenever my bike is outfitted with a chain that requires a half link* (at bad mech's suggestion) -- they are excellent.

--sParty

*For whatever reason, when my chain does not require a half link, I still use a SRAM Powerlink. I've never personally had one fail, and I have so dang many of 'em.
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus
    *For whatever reason, when my chain does not require a half link, I still use a SRAM Powerlink. I've never personally had one fail, and I have so dang many of 'em.
    Coincidentally, so do I, and have never had a Powerlink fail on me.

4 Niners
    Dec 2008
    I also use SRAM link on my SS and Whipperman on my geared bikes.