Tucson Area Riders: Trip and trail advice requested

Guys:

I'm in the process of planning an escape from the cold and icy Northeast and I've got my eyes on the Tucson, Arizona area.

I've been to Sedona twice already so I figure Tucson would be a nice alternative. Unfortunately I don't believe we can make it out there during the weekend of the "Fling".

Questions:
    If you had three days to ride in Tucson what would you do? I'm looking for trails that are representative of the area - desert flora and fauna, views, potential wildlife sighting - as well as a healthy dosage of all day kick ass singletrack.

What would be a good area to stay in that is centrally located to the trails?

Is downtown Tucson worth checking out? Are there shops and restaurants or maybe a pedestrian area?

Where's the best Mexican food?

Finally if you would be willing to 'play guide' at some point for a couple of friendly competent riding New Englanders I will pay you back tenfold in singletrack if you ever find yourself in MA, NH or VT.

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated, thank you...
    Tom
    P.S. Feel free to write me directly at mtbtom AT hotmail DOT com

JRA
    mtbr member
    WooHoo ... you gonna have fun! Get Johnnygun to lead ya around ... he's nototious for hitting all the cacti so you'll be free from that particular trail obligation.

An outsider's list of trails to do:
    Fantasy Island (inside city limits)
    Golder Ranch - especially the Deer Camp Loop ... kick-ass ride and some really great scenery
    24hr course - damn fun 17 mi loop
    "Scar" Pass/Tucson Mountain Park - I left blood here but that doesn't mean you will

One I didn't get to do but have heard really good things about - Chiva Falls

There's lotza others too ... have fun and don't let the cacti bite

Fight the Kakistocracy!

fun in the sun is right

Tom-

Kevin might have added Kentucky Camp also, was once an IMBA epic. Chiva Falls is a great ride also, altough I haven't ssed it. From what I have heard, Johnnygun would be a good guy to have lead you around. If he is unavailabe, and you want a slow guide, I could be your guy. When do you plan on coming out to the Old Pueblo? I could hook you up with some insane riders also if that is your cup of tea. To rub it in a little, here is a current (like just now) pic from my back yard of my view and the temp.

And to really rub it in for you east coaster freezing your arses off. ( that is the current time of the picture on the smaller dial, proof that I didn't photshop it! )

veelz

Gravity, not just a good idea, it's a law.
    The only one consistently and constantly applied, no exceptions.

King Pin
    I just did a short two hour ride up here in Preskit, barely hittin' 40 degrees. Nice and sunny, tho! The UPHILL sections are just a dream come true!

Tucson is sounding nice!

Quote Originally Posted by veelz
    Tom-

Kevin might have added Kentucky Camp also, was once an IMBA epic. Chiva Falls is a great ride also, altough I haven't ssed it. From what I have heard, Johnnygun would be a good guy to have lead you around. If he is unavailabe, and you want a slow guide, I could be your guy. When do you plan on coming out to the Old Pueblo? I could hook you up with some insane riders also if that is your cup of tea. To rub it in a little, here is a current (like just now) pic from my back yard of my view and the temp.

And to really rub it in for you east coaster freezing your arses off. ( that is the current time of the picture on the smaller dial, proof that I didn't photshop it! )

Has a 19 inch Unit

I may be available

When are you coming down? There are many places to ride within 15-30 minutes of central Tucson. Tucson Mountain Park can keep you busy for a day - Fantasy Island will be all that you will want to do in one day Starr Pass will keep you busy for a day - Deer Camp loop is just to much technical fun to describe and much more. Stay close to downtown if ya can as there are many things to do and see lots of good eateries and places to get beer and drinks if ya like that kinda stuff (I do)

Let me know when your coming in

casey.bitz@pima.gov

Casey aka Johnnygun

Probably drunk right now

You'll be busy....

In traffic court. (insert smiley thing here)

Thanks!

Johhnygun: We're looking at the first weekend in March right now, although that may change to one of the last two weekends in March depending on availability of lodging options. I'll shoot you an e-mail when I've got the plans set - I really appreciate your advice.

So is it correct to say that if you're anywhere in Tucson you can pretty much get to all the various rides pretty easy?

Seems that on the top of my ride list should be Chiva Falls, followed by Tuscon Mtn. Park, and then Kentucky Camp.

I regret to say that I wont be ss'ing on this trip. Haven't been riding enough !

Tom

Thanks veelz! Deep blue sky and 60F, nice..Hmm I seem to remember weather like that.

Later

Fight the Kakistocracy!

I didn't know that was you

Casey aka Johnnygun

Casey, I didn't realize that you were Johnnygun, when is your court appearance? For anyone that reads this post, Johnnygun got a little ticket for going a little fast in a school zone on his road bike.
    veelz

Gravity, not just a good idea, it's a law.
    The only one consistently and constantly applied, no exceptions.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Gardner Canyon/Kentucky Camp is a must ride, around 40 miles if you do the whole thing. 24 Hour Course is loads of fun with sweet singletrack. Fantasy Island, 50 year trail and Starr Pass for some in town stuff. All of these are very SS friendly. You can find maps and ride descriptions at SDMB.org

There is so much good mexican food I don't even know where to start. Not much to downtown, 4th Ave area is OK but...well its Tucson.

If I am around I would be more than happy to show you our trails.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Veelz...Whats Johnnygun doing on a SS group

rejected

Hope

Uh, he rides SS maybe.... duh!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by gspot
    Uh, he rides SS maybe.... duh!!

Uh MAYBE not

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Slugo

When I met Casey it was at Fantasy Island and he was riding a single speed. Thats how I found out about this site.

Has a 19 inch Unit

The pull of the Dark Side was too strong

For those who know me but have not seen me since say around the soul ride; I have gone completely SS. I sold every MTB I had, traded one for a sweet Marin Road bike (haha Jon) and converted my hard tail tek to a sweet ass SS. I will never go back. It was the zen of the soul ride I think that sent me over the edge. Once there, It was and is very clear to me

See ya soon Slugo

*smiles*

Casey aka Johnnygun

Has a 19 inch Unit

paying my dues

Casey aka Johnnygun

Casey, I didn't realize that you were Johnnygun, when is your court appearance? For anyone that reads this post, Johnnygun got a little ticket for going a little fast in a school zone on his road bike.

I called my insurance company and they laughed - they said that they do not even glance at ped or bike tickets so i think Im just gonna pay the fine - I so rarely get tickets that a point or two on my license wont matter so I think Im just gonna pay it

JG

Has a 19 inch Unit

Slugo the bike tour master

Quote Originally Posted by (Tom)
    Johhnygun: We're looking at the first weekend in March right now, although that may change to one of the last two weekends in March depending on availability of lodging options. I'll shoot you an e-mail when I've got the plans set - I really appreciate your advice.

So is it correct to say that if you're anywhere in Tucson you can pretty much get to all the various rides pretty easy?

Seems that on the top of my ride list should be Chiva Falls, followed by Tuscon Mtn. Park, and then Kentucky Camp.

I regret to say that I wont be ss'ing on this trip. Haven't been riding enough !

Tom
    I would be happy to show you some trails and of course I must get the trail master Slugo involved cause he's the man when it comes to knowing where things are. Look forward to seeing ya.

JG