mtbr member
    May 2009

Trying different gear ratios

I currently have 33-20 gear ratio on a 29er, and am interested in trying out some different ratios on my bike. I am pretty new to riding single speed, and my question is what exactly will be involved in changing the ratio.
    I ordered a set of various cog sizes to try. I'm thinking of going from 20 to 18 at first and seeing how that feels. Would I need to shorten the chain for this small of a change? I've never broken down a chain before.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    depends on your bike and terrain. i run both 32/20 and 32/19 depending on where i ride. i use the same chain but adjust the EBB on my bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Are you running a EBB, chain tensioner or sliding dropout.
    If you are running a sliding dropout, hopefully the bolt is in the middle of the dropout and you have some room to move it around.
    Breaking down a chain is very simple. I bet someone even has a youtube video for you to watch

Quote Originally Posted by peepsalot
    I currently have 33-20 gear ratio on a 29er, and am interested in trying out some different ratios on my bike. I am pretty new to riding single speed, and my question is what exactly will be involved in changing the ratio.
    I ordered a set of various cog sizes to try. I'm thinking of going from 20 to 18 at first and seeing how that feels. Would I need to shorten the chain for this small of a change? I've never broken down a chain before.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by cbrock450
    Are you running a EBB, chain tensioner or sliding dropout.
    I've got a horizontal dropout. I guess I'll just have to wait till the cogs arrive and see if there is enough room there to do it without shortening the chain.