mtbr member
    May 2009

Trying different gear ratios

I currently have 33-20 gear ratio on a 29er, and am interested in trying out some different ratios on my bike. I am pretty new to riding single speed, and my question is what exactly will be involved in changing the ratio.
    I ordered a set of various cog sizes to try. I'm thinking of going from 20 to 18 at first and seeing how that feels. Would I need to shorten the chain for this small of a change? I've never broken down a chain before.

mtbr member
    depends on your bike and terrain. i run both 32/20 and 32/19 depending on where i ride. i use the same chain but adjust the EBB on my bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Are you running a EBB, chain tensioner or sliding dropout.
    If you are running a sliding dropout, hopefully the bolt is in the middle of the dropout and you have some room to move it around.
    Breaking down a chain is very simple. I bet someone even has a youtube video for you to watch

Quote Originally Posted by peepsalot
    I currently have 33-20 gear ratio on a 29er, and am interested in trying out some different ratios on my bike. I am pretty new to riding single speed, and my question is what exactly will be involved in changing the ratio.
    I ordered a set of various cog sizes to try. I'm thinking of going from 20 to 18 at first and seeing how that feels. Would I need to shorten the chain for this small of a change? I've never broken down a chain before.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by cbrock450
    Are you running a EBB, chain tensioner or sliding dropout.
    I've got a horizontal dropout. I guess I'll just have to wait till the cogs arrive and see if there is enough room there to do it without shortening the chain.

Members who have read this thread: 0