mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Trying to decide between 2 bikes

First off, thanks for any advice you all can offer. A few caveats: I have never had a single speed, nor a rigid bike (since 1993). I love my Specialized Epic, but have been looking for something "more simple", fun to ride and challenging!

All that said, Im torn between 2 bikes. Ive been looking at the Specialized Carve SL and the Niner One 9. They look pretty identical to me- frame and spec wise. Does anyone have any input to that?

Why is the Niner double the price? Am I going to get double the bike out of it? The Carve SL has some pretty awesome reviews, as does the Niner...

Any input would be greatly appreciated..

Thanks-

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I have a one9 and really enjoy it. But, I bought an older model frame on closeout and pieced it together from eBay, mtbr, local classifieds and friends for between the price of the new one9 and the carve.

1. Personally, I wouldn't nit pick the geometry details since they're so similar. It's easy to obsess about it. It will be what's important to you. As always, if you can, throw a leg over both.

2. There's a few component parts on the one9 (assuming you're looking at the 2-star spec on their site) that are better than the Carve: mainly the carbon seat post and avid 5 brakes (vs avid 1).

The price is right with the carve. That would be my choice. With the money saved, I would slap on a syntace hi flex post (aka niner RDO post).
    Last edited by koudja; 04-25-2013 at 01:45 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    also, the bottom bracket design is different, if that matters to you. Specialized uses a split shell, niner uses their ebb 2.
    Last edited by koudja; 04-25-2013 at 01:43 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Koudja-

Thanks! I saw those parts spec differences, and I think the wheels on the Niner are probably a bit better. The Carve uses a standard rear wheel with spacers. But like you mentioned, I can do a lot of 'upgrading' to the Carve for the money saved.

Unfortunately, no one in the area stocks either bike, so its all internet looking.

Have you had any issues with the EBB from Niner? I read a lot of stuff about it being noisy, but I read equal amounts about installation problems being the problem there. Any advice?

mtbr member

Trying to decide between 2 bikes

I had a One9 and loved the geometry but not the ebb.

The newest version of Niner's ebb (2 bolts instead of 1) is supposed to be better. I have never used a split shell BH like the carve has, but have always heard good things about that set up.

SPP
    Rigid.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sandbox View Post
    Am I going to get double the bike out of it?

I sincerely doubt it. Snag the carve, if you like singlespeed rigid, you'll know it, and have a lot of cash to play around with on worthy upgrades.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    ebb1 only gave me trouble with slipping, which has been minimal. i set it up with oatey's as recommended, it sounds like the carbogrib would have been the way to go (carbogrip is tacky with grit, oateys is like a paste or high viscosity grease). i built it in january and have been putting a lot of miles on it over the past two months. i have had 0 issues pertaining to noise. i'm running xtr 970 cranks and bb with lots of polylube on interfacing parts and was quite generous with the oatey's when i set it up.

however, i switched to ss for simplicity and minimal maintenance. i've heard and read good things about the second generation. rather than mess around and see if the carbogrib works with ebb 1, i have an ebb 2 and a can of carbogrip on it's way to me now.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by rob1035 View Post
    I sincerely doubt it. Snag the carve, if you like singlespeed rigid, you'll know it, and have a lot of cash to play around with on worthy upgrades.
    this is sound advice.

nothing to see here
    the split shell ebb is awesome
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Boom! Carve SL on order! Thanks for the advice! I'm going to hook up a carbon post and bar now to take the edge off. I'll post some pictures when Im done building!! Happy birthday to me!