V-Shaped Rut

Truvativ stylo crank opinions?

Hi all, I was wondering if anyone has run recent versions of these cranks? I'm going to be bidding on an e-bay frame that includes them. I want to eventually go with ENOs but I figure since these are free if they don't horribly suck I can ride them for a season or until I score a deal on the ENOs and a Ti BB.

ride the moment
    They came on my On-One and until my buddy made me a deal on some ENO's with a phil wood BB I liked them just fine. I did kill the external BB in less than a year, but they're not much to replace. For free I would ride them until they break or you find your dealio.
    Just because you read a book it don't make you conscious. - MC Lush

Hoopy Frod
    Jun 2009
    I've been running the 1.1 Sylo pretty damn hard for a couple months now. I weight 250lb+ with gear, and I ride pretty aggressive on it... still rides stiff and quiet.
    The bottom bracket does look pretty flimsy on install, but again... they are cheap as hell to replace.

mtbr member
    They're perfectly fine.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I just bought some ENO's today but I have been riding my Stylo 1.1 @ 240# without any problems at all. Nice cranks!

mtbr member
    I had the Stylo 1.1's on my bike for about 6 months and never had a single issue. They seemed pretty solid to me.

Off the back...
    Mine have been great. I also got a set of Stylo Teams a few years back, and they performed well all through the winter. Good cranks and BB.

M_S
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    No issues with the crank or BB in a year of all weather riding.

mtbr member
    Great price-to-weight-to-stiffness ratio with those cranks. AND, they come in 180's. I swapped them onto my new SS and haven't had to think about them since.

V-Shaped Rut
    Thanks all, I'm gonna be running them till they **** the bed or I find a sweet deal.

mtbr member
    I have the style 1.1 on my SS, and the stylo on my Epic. Both have been rock solid (Jabber doesn't have a lot of miles on it, but I've got two years on the Epic).
    :wq

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I have the Stylo 1.1 on my 29er (setup 1x9, sorry!) and they've been holding up great. I'm about 180 and hammer on em pretty good.
    Oh noes. I'm going to drink the Kool-Aid.

singletrack bound
    I had problems with the crank bolt loosening on the non-drive side. They were on the bike when I bought it and I think the crank bolts had been over torqued at one time so it was hard to keep the non-drive side crank arm tight. Not to sure I liked the design on the "self extracting Crank arm/bolt that the stylo's have. It became a big hassle having to stop and torque on the crank bolt so I went with the ENO cranks and square taper BB and they have been solid!

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Square tapers still rule, if you want hassle free riding. Not cool, not bling, not the stiffest, just the easiest to deal with, IMO.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    truvative shmuvative, I almost bought the stylo cranks but got race face instead. they are only $10 more on pricepoint and have gotten much better reviews overall. I've never been very satisfied with anything truvative, they always seem to come loose on the nondrive side and have all sorts of issues.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    truvative shmuvative, I almost bought the stylo cranks but got race face instead. they are only $10 more on pricepoint and have gotten much better reviews overall. I've never been very satisfied with anything truvative, they always seem to come loose on the nondrive side and have all sorts of issues.

Expert Crasher
    Quote Originally Posted by EBasil
    Great price-to-weight-to-stiffness ratio with those cranks. AND, they come in 180's. I swapped them onto my new SS and haven't had to think about them since.
    +2. I run the 180s on my Karate Monkey (and my Astrix Rook and Redline Monocog Flight prior to the KM). They've been trouble free.

The most common complaint is the external bearing BB. When torqued to the right specs and not continually soaked with the pressure washer, they'll last a long time.

Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin