mtbr member
    Oct 2009

TriCross Single: UPGRADES?

Looking to upgrade my 09 single Tricross and looking for some friendly ideas.
    1) spinning out way too much with the 42\18 setup, wanting to switch that up to be more productive overall. Mainly use bike to commute, and tackle some trails, etc. but will be attempting my first cross race soon...

2) Crank and Bottom bracket- I know this area is heavy and cheap- what is a better combination to go with down here, looking at the Surly and the Kore cranks, but not sure...

3) Wheels- mine are heavy and have held up great, but would like some less rotating weight

Thanks

master blaster
    Quote Originally Posted by bikesncoffee
    Looking to upgrade my 09 single Tricross and looking for some friendly ideas.
    1) spinning out way too much with the 42\18 setup, wanting to switch that up to be more productive overall. Mainly use bike to commute, and tackle some trails, etc. but will be attempting my first cross race soon...

2) Crank and Bottom bracket- I know this area is heavy and cheap- what is a better combination to go with down here, looking at the Surly and the Kore cranks, but not sure...

3) Wheels- mine are heavy and have held up great, but would like some less rotating weight

Thanks
    1) drop the cog down to a 16 for now, have an 18-20 spare for the race depending on the terrain.

2) fsa gossamer megaxo are super stiff, not to pricey and at 810g's hard to pass up. i have them on my cross bike with no complaints.

3) you can find old model ultegra/tiagra/105 hubs on super deals everywhere, build those up to some velocity aeroheads or mavic open pros, or find a said wheelset built up on ebay used and you should be satisfied.