mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Trek 930 singletrack

Well this morning I was sitting around talking to my old man and I had told him about my new bike. He insists that I see a doctor because I spend more than 50$ on a bicycle. He told me that I could have just had his old one if I did a few things for him. Well....him being as clever as he is made a deal with me that if I mow the grass, clean out the garage, and wash his truck that he would give it to me. I kept asking him to let me see it, but he just kept telling me, "you can see it when you're finished, I don't think you'll be disappointed." I wasn't sure what I was getting myself into when I began the work. When I finished he showed me this. He scooped it up at a yard sale in 2001 when he was going to "get in shape AGAIN." So rather than ripping apart my brand new 29'er. I have plans on making this a singlespeed. He never fails me!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Trek 930 singletrack-imageuploadedbytapatalk1311882519.233984.jpg  

Ovaries on the Outside
    I love the hanging hex key set on the rear brakes.

Should make for a pretty awesome SS. The cantis are probably alright, especially if you treat the old lady to some Kool Stops. I'd personally like to see the saddle gone, a shorter stem and wider handlebars.

mtbr member
    I like the on-the-fly canti-brake adjuster. And the couch.

...beat me to it...
    Solid frame those old treks...

The need for singlespeed
    I could see mowing the lawn and cleaning out the garage for that thing, but I don't think it's worth the truck wash. Your dad ripped you.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I think I might ditch the wheels and put discs on the front and back. I started a list with everything I want, basically new everything. I have a squishy fork on the list but I'm not sure if I want to give the rigid thing a try or not before spending the money on a fork.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by misunderestimated View Post
    I like the on-the-fly canti-brake adjuster. And the couch.

...beat me to it...
    Solid frame those old treks...
    But hey you can't call me a couch potatoe! Sitting on the coffee table doesn't let your a** get soft for riding, that's my theory anyways.

mtbr member
    no discs unless you do a serious frame/fork rework.

The need for singlespeed
    No squishy either without srsly altering handling.

mtbr member
    no i wouldn't put squish on that its lugged, 1" likely.

Did I catch a niner?

Mine is a 800 Sport that I have had since 1997 and I would keep it as is maybe go to V Brakes for an upgrade (felt like a big one), I also swapped the quill stem for an adapter stem to get a 1 1/8 on there. You can see this bike it a bit small for me and it's current rider (mom). The Titec was a pain to find and I got a 120mm stem on that bad boy, it's just a commuter mainly now with dirt when my bike is being worked on.

But I would say definately V Brakes with compressionless housings where the major step, and hopefully a new wheelset soon.
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?
    https://www.dollarshaveclub.com/ref/...A0CC/s/tx/cx/1

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Hey guy's, I have been off the bike for about 10 years now, so I guess I am a noob again. Sorry to hijack this thread, but I can't start a new one yet. I was looking at a Rig at the bike shop yesterday and I was really intrigued by this single speed thing. It seems like it would fit my riding style perfectly and i like the simplicity. I would really like that new Rig, but after seeing these old bikes converted to SS, I think that's what I'd like to try first. I have a 98 GF Ziggurat with a warranty replacement frame from 99. So, the thing that I wonder about, is the added stress from powering up hills with only one speed and the fact that I already broke my first frame, am I asking for trouble? How about cranks and pedals. Do they hold up okay? I think my Time atac's are already bent. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by White & Nerdy View Post
    Hey guy's, I was really intrigued by this thing. It seems like my riding GF is already bent. Thanks.

Go for it Nerdy! The stuff you have should all be great. The conversion is easy if the rear wheel is a cassette and only a tiny bit more difficult if its a freewheel. If you already have the necessary toolage and want to do it yourself, it's fun. If you don't have the toolage and want to do it yourself, the investment is worth it to get the right stuff, and it's still fun. If you get the shop to do it, that part won't be as much fun but riding the bike later will be equally as fun as if you had done the work yourself. Also there are myriad threads on here with detailed instructions regarding said conversion and surely the yootoob can tell you how to do it also. Don't hesitate to come back with more questions. We like bikes over here.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

rear disk on Trek 970

Quote Originally Posted by misunderestimated View Post
    no discs unless you do a serious frame/fork rework.
    I did mine for $80 all in.

Baller Bike company Cary NC. Guys an artist, literally works for peanuts and beer.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Trek 930 singletrack-img00636-20110626-1116.jpg  

Trek 930 singletrack-brake-tab-finished.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by icon149 View Post
    I did mine for $80 all in.

Baller Bike company Cary NC. Guys an artist, literally works for peanuts and beer.
    If you're serious, I may take it on vacation and see about have it done. Haha

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Good frames if i do say myself. I have had a 91 and 97 but sold the 97 after making it ss. I think i will convert the 91 someday if i get around to it! Ohh and keep it rigid, the lugged frame rides great! You can put suspension on it but you have to find a 1 inch steerer tube fork.
    Spinnin' & Grinnin'