TREK 69er

Printable View

• 09-11-2006
    moto0013
    TREK 69er
    Any one have any thoughts on this bike? Pros vs cons?
  • 09-11-2006
    FlatFender
    welp, my biggest con would be having to carry 2 different spare tubes on a trail ride.... It does look fun to ride though.
  • 09-12-2006
    serious
    You can simply have an oversize 26in tube and then you can fit both. For emergency situations that is definitely good enough. Of course, there is always the tubeless option.

As for the OP's question, unfortunately I never had the chance to try the Trek 69er. I have the feeling that having a smaller wheel in the back is a small compromise in "big wheel comfort", but helps with acceleration a little.
  • 09-12-2006
    Cloxxki
    If there would be an advantage to smaller rear wheels, why not smaller still? Plenty of 24" offerings, similar to 29".
    Trek must think that large front wheels are good, so why not bigger?
  • 09-12-2006
    bigdaddybiker
    Iím sure some folks will love this bike, its being touted as having most of the 29er benefits (rolling over obstacles easier and less prone to endos) with less rotating weight. I weigh 180 lbs, so the extra weight of a 29er wheel in the back is a pittance when considering the benefits I derive from it, traction on climbs being top of the list, followed by stability when things are slick, and lastly I just like the way that big ole rear wheel feels when going through the ruff $hit.
    Just because it works for me doesnít mean it will work for you. If youíre a fly- weight say less than 140 you may find the extra weight slows you down to much, Id say that would be the most viable reason for going with a 96er. There is also the size issue; some people are just to short for a 29er but maybe the 96er works. Either way both set ups benefit the rider, you just have to figure which one works best for you. By the way that maverick forks looks killer anyone know if it could be used on a RIG.
  • 09-12-2006
    Drevil
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Cloxxki
    If there would be an advantage to smaller rear wheels, why not smaller still? Plenty of 24" offerings, similar to 29".

If there would be an advantage to <strike>smaller rear</strike> bigger front wheels, why not <strike>smaller</strike> bigger still? Plenty of <strike>24"</strike> 36" offerings, similar to 29".

:rolleyes:
    :madman:
    :p
  • 09-12-2006
    dumbaSS
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Cloxxki

:yesnod:
    http://www.abizaks.com/images/produc...BICYC_M_lg.jpg
  • 09-12-2006
    moto0013
    Why I was asking
    I was asking cause I want a good single speed bike package.With the larger mfg you tend to get more for your money.so I would be up to some suggestions to my other options.
  • 09-13-2006
    judasursus
    2 Attachment(s)
    Swap out possibility?
    Does this adjustable rear-end look like it could be swapped out for something slightly larger that would accommodate a 700c rim in the back? It'd be cool to order this bike either way according to preference...

Gotta love that color! :cool:

Props to Hollywood for that first image, originally posted here: http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...ighlight=otter

-J
  • 09-13-2006
    Just J
    I'm really interested, I can see the benefits of having a smaller back wheel when it comes to acceleration etc, but I'd really like to ride one...
  • 09-13-2006
    Padre
    Quote:

Originally Posted by serious
    You can simply have an oversize 26in tube and then you can fit both. For emergency situations that is definitely good enough.

What? :confused:
    You guys need to hang out on the 29er board more.:idea:

Many of us use 26" tubes exclusively.

My wife and I run Specialized Turbo tubes...2.1 and 125 grams in our 29" wheeled bikes.

No emergencies neccessary.