mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Training on a SS road bike?

This past season I did a few endurance races on my rigid SS (Vassago Jabberwocky!) and did most of my training on my geared road bike. Due to a lack of trails in my area, I have to train on the road the majority of the time. I am wondering if training on a SS cross bike (Felt Breed?) rather than a geared road bike will help me with the SS on the dirt. Anyone have any experience training like this? Any thoughts?

openwound
    Dumb questions: are you starting your training cycle now for next spring/summer? can you gear the ss road bike, or select ride courses, such that on your rides you'd be able to spin the gear and not grind it?

For my training calendar/schedule, ss bikes are put away at least until mid/end of december. (I know, blasphemy) Too much chance for too much work too early in the season. From now 'til then, I'll be getting out on my road bike, spinning fairly low intensity rides. Once December rolls around and I can break out the ss, it'll be geared really low so as to keep from riding too hard just yet. Once I start doing interval/power work in Feb/March, then I'll gear the ss a little harder, though not quite to my Summer gear.

So if you can gear the ss road bike such that you don't find yourself grinding out any climbs that you encounter, sure I'd ride it. You'll be spinning like a mad man a fair amount of the time, but that's better than grinding at this time of year. Such spinning can actually help with leg speed, though it can get to feeling pretty silly if your a$$ is bouncing off the saddle the entire ride...

YMMV, standard disclaimers, etc.

Kiss my Grits!

SS on the road

I do all my road riding on a SS Swobo. I put bigger gears on the road bike than my mtn bike and mash 'em hard so that my mtn bike feels easier when I ride.
    Sometimes, with a very strenuous effort, I will fatigue.

Did I catch a niner?
    I ride a SS road bike. Do a duathalon on it also, it's a great way to build your cadence.
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?
    https://www.dollarshaveclub.com/ref/...A0CC/s/tx/cx/1

is buachail foighneach me
    I've ridden SS road bikes. From a training perspective, as mentioned above, you would be better gearing low for a few months and just spinning out some base.