Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1
    Recovering Weight Weenie
    Reputation: Padre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,736

    Trail Scare (semi/non/could be SS related)

    so the wife and I are out for a run...we run about once a week...a little cross-training prepr for the Vision Quest. It's about a 5 mile jaunt in a local wilderness park.
    About 1/2 mile from the car, took the dog off leash since she loves to run up ahead back and forth as she scents the car, or the random animal droppings she so loves to smell...we're rounding a corner on the last straight away and I pick up the pace to almost a sprint.. just to "kick it up a notch."
    As I do, the dog gets giddy and is sprinting up ahead, as I round the bend I see a coyote has stepped onto the trail, grabbing my dogs attention, turning around and heads back into the brush... my dog gives chase....OH, CRAP.
    At this point, about 1,000,000 thoughts went through my head, none of which were pleasant...I began screaming my dog's name, the COME command at the top of my lungs...NO RESPONSE.
    It seemed an eternity had passed when I see 2 gearies spinning up the trail, one adorned in a bright orange turtleneck hunting type shirt (why would I notice THAT?) and they began to yell at my dog as well, yelling, "Hey, don't follow the coyote! etc...
    It was at that point, Bella scrambles out the brush, looks at me kinda like,"Yeah? You wanted something?"
    WHEW!!!!!
    Wow... that was close.
    My wife said she had never seen me run so fast. I don't even remember running.
    Anyway, as you'll see from the picture below, Bella isn't much of a fighter, more the lover, runner, snuggle type.
    Also, we never pegged ourselves for the ultra-cheezy dog owners... GUILTY.
    Merry Christmas
    Attached Images Attached Images

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    222

    A couple of years ago

    my dog Scarlett, who is gun shy, afraid of her own shadow, and a great trail dog picked up the sent of a bear. She is a hound and is supposed to chase things like that instinctively, well she does. Next thing I know she is in the woods howling like mad and I am thinking what has she done. Well out she runs following this huge black bear that looks scared to death. He had just been eating berries a second ago. So, just like you, I yell and holler at her come back, and no, and stop and whatever else I can think of, which doesn't help. Then as suddenly as she took off she was back, looking real proud of herself and ever so happy. I was just happy she was back. That was the first and only time she chased something aside from bikes. Scared me to death. Ed

  3. #3
    34N 118W
    Reputation: Hollywood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    2,267

    wow

    so much for the sweater I gave your wife for Christmas last year. You could have just told me she didn't like it. But no, I found out on the internet. Thanks.



    HW


    PS - glad your pup's ok.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ernesto_from_Wisconsin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,955

    ... and if we just ... maybe...

    Quote Originally Posted by Padre
    As I do, the dog gets giddy and is sprinting up ahead, as I round the bend I see a coyote has stepped onto the trail, grabbing my dogs attention, turning around and heads back into the brush... my dog gives chase....OH, CRAP.
    Maybe your dog likes wild "men"

    In Texas, my dog Shep went after many things, and one of them I will never forget.

    From the ranch, we had ot walk about a quarter mile to where our driveway met HWY 281. As we're walking down, Shep gets in his crosshairs a road runner and took off after it as if his life depended on it... My mom says: if the coyote can't catch the road runner, neither could Shep.

    Well, another sophmore day passes by at Shmithson Valley High School. Bus drops me off. I climb over the gate to the ranch, pull out my dog whistle, and in a short moment, Shep's greeting me and jumping as always. Not too shabby for a German Shepherd.

    I walk into the house and my mom says: go look over by the tractor, he caught something. I'm thinking another cat or possum I had to clean up and throw in the trash.

    I'm looking by the tractor and look around...there it was, half of a road runner. Must have tasted like chicken.
    Last edited by ernesto_from_Wisconsin; 12-23-2004 at 12:38 AM. Reason: .

  5. #5
    Recovering Weight Weenie
    Reputation: Padre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,736
    Quote Originally Posted by ernesto_from_Wisconsin
    I'm looking by the tractor and look around...there it was, half of a road runner. Must have tasted like chicken.
    It's the "other" white meat.

  6. #6
    Recovering Weight Weenie
    Reputation: Padre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,736
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood
    so much for the sweater I gave your wife for Christmas last year. You could have just told me she didn't like it. But no, I found out on the internet. Thanks.
    HW

    PS - glad your pup's ok.
    We tried returning it, but you didn't give us the receipt...cheapskate!

  7. #7
    Glutton for punishment
    Reputation: ScottN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    575
    Nice Cheezy Sweater - Is she cold or just dressed for success?

    I have a GSP who shakes like a leaf when the air temp gets below 60 but he'll swim for hours in 60 degree river water. Go figure.

    We had a slightly different problem when riding outside of Durango with the dogs once: We're grinding up a hill above Purgatory - a long, open meadow - and the dogs are just so much faster than we are going up that they get out of sight in a hurry.

    We hear a great deal of barking and carrying on all of a sudden, and then "MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO" and more barking. We didn't know that our route was going to take us near some grazing land and the dogs had never seen a cow before. So, being hunting dogs, they gave chase to whichever ran the fastest and cornered a poor calf in the bushes. Just like you describe, no amount of yelling would call them off.

    For 10 minutes they chased that cow and then all of a sudden they were like "Hey, look - someone's calling us, let's go see what they want." Last thing I need is my dogs shot by some cattle rancher for being dorks.

    On reflection, it was interesting to see my two uncooperative spazzes suddenly being perfectly coordinated with each other to gang up on the calf. That sort of thing is definitely inbred, because we don't hunt or work them like that. Hmmm

    Of course, you've only made me a little more nervous about letting them run off leash out in the wilderness...

    Scott

  8. #8
    Recovering Weight Weenie
    Reputation: Padre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,736
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottN
    Nice Cheezy Sweater - Is she cold or just dressed for success?
    A little of both. Visiting the in-laws apparently required the sweater and the collar with blinking lights. *drops head in shame

    Quote Originally Posted by ScottN
    Of course, you've only made me a little more nervous about letting them run off leash out in the wilderness...
    Yeah, no kidding. My heart, just now, stopped beating at 190bpm.

  9. #9
    Medium?
    Reputation: Fast Eddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    6,669
    He has to turn in all the Goodwill receipts with his taxes.

  10. #10
    Cold. Blue. Steel.
    Reputation: OneGearGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    1,705

    They call it "instinct."

    I hear you on the "don't even remember running" tip. my girlfriend's black lab puppy, Baylee, goes hiking with us all the time, and when we are away from roads and people, she is off the leash. one day we are hiking our "home" trail which Baylee knows well and in one area it has a fence around a pasture. i hear Baylee start yelping and i start hauling ass for where i hear her "voice." it turns out that the fence is electric and she got super scared from the shock! not hurt at all, T.G. but what a great learning experience for a 6 month old pup.
    soon, she will be venturing out when we ride our MTB's (she is almost 8 mos now, and around 70lbs. here are a few shots of Baylee, Sarah and me (plus my awesome cat, P-Nut who has been across country with me twice!)
    damn, i am such an animal lover.

    BTW, you guys are one handsome family!!

    Adam
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Spinning and Grinning...

  11. #11
    those are Rollercams...
    Reputation: WTB-rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    1,896
    FWIW,

    Weimaraners were originally bred to hunt lions.Maybe Bella was just answering an ancient call.Glad she's OK.

    BTW,I never saw a dog sweater with a cleavage peek-a-boo

  12. #12
    Recovering Weight Weenie
    Reputation: Padre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,736
    Quote Originally Posted by WTB-rider
    FWIW,

    Weimaraners were originally bred to hunt lions.Maybe Bella was just answering an ancient call.Glad she's OK.

    BTW,I never saw a dog sweater with a cleavage peek-a-boo
    LOL, I thought that too! I think a less lanky dog would have that cleavage cut-out as a leash/collar pass through..

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Andy aka Rut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,171

    Poor Bella

    I saw your little one all dressed up and suddenly thought of little Ralphy in The Christmas Story all dressed up in the bunny suit. Forgive my ignorance but, Why the hole in the chest of the sweater? At first I thought it was on backwards and thought it might be for the tail. Then I thought about it and realized that could not be.

    Glad she and you two are OK,

    andy
    Always preach the Gospel; even if you need to use words.

  14. #14
    Recovering Weight Weenie
    Reputation: Padre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,736
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy aka Rut
    I saw your little one all dressed up and suddenly thought of little Ralphy in The Christmas Story all dressed up in the bunny suit. Forgive my ignorance but, Why the hole in the chest of the sweater? At first I thought it was on backwards and thought it might be for the tail. Then I thought about it and realized that could not be.

    Glad she and you two are OK,

    andy
    The hole is for a leash to pass through to the collar.
    On a dog that isn't like a stretch limo, that hole is up by the neck. The sweater is supposed to be a turtle neck..but Bella is a little lanky...like me...

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    839

    Have you thought about a buzzer collar?

    We have a Boxer that we bring biking, hiking etc... off leash as much as possible. Angus, the dog, is loveable and trained very well. We got the collar in case he ever got wind of something and took off. The buzzer is set up to give a beep warning and if the dog doesn't respond give the stimulation (feels like hitting your funny bone) if the situation is really, really bad and the dog needs to break his concentration on whatever critter he/she is chasing there is a booster button that increases the stimulation. Also the stimulation can be set for the lowest setting.

    Now before I get messages calling me cruel, keep in mind I have trained my dog very, very well. I cannot remember the last time Angus got buzzed and I really cannot remember a time when he got buzzed alot. I justify the carrying the item because all it takes is one time and if I lost him because I was unprepared that would be tough for me to deal with.

    Just a thought. Ours is from Innotek got it from Cabelas and would highly recommend both manufact and retailer.
    I guarantee I will never, ever be accused of bringing sexy back...

  16. #16
    Its only 1" on the map!
    Reputation: mtbbill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    1,104
    I have heard stories of dogs out with thier owners in the wilderness and they go off chasing bigger "critters" like moutain lions, bears, and at some point the critters turn the tables and the dogs coming running back to thier owners scared with a really pissed off critter in tow

  17. #17
    gray hair in my shammy
    Reputation: Old_Bashturd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    414

    2 winters ago

    Had my Greyhound , (AKC, not ex racer, but still damn fast) Gracie, out for a short loop here at Patapsco. She's white with big brown patches, kinda looks like a cow. Riding down the trail, a group of 8-10 deer cross the trail in front of us, and off goes Gracie. Like you, all the yelling and screaming in the world does nothing to alter her pursuit.
    Being winter, all the trees are bear, and you can see for quite a ways. I lose sight of her and the deer. At the top of a ridge, about 100 yards away, I pick them up again, 4 deer in a line, with Gracie right behing them . Funny thing is, there are about 4 or 5 deer behind her, all running in the same line! So here is this line of deer, with a moo cow colored dog right in the middle, all running through the woods. I just kinda stopped yelling at that point, and scratch my head a little as they all disappeared over the ridge. I started yelling again and after a few minutes, she came running back, tongue about a foot long hanging out of her mouth. I wonder what the deer following Gracie was thinking....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Old_Bashturd; 12-27-2004 at 04:47 PM. Reason: add pic
    "Veni, vedi, pulsus" "I came, I saw, I pushed"

  18. #18
    those are Rollercams...
    Reputation: WTB-rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    1,896

    Lol!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Old_Bashturd
    Had my Greyhound , (AKC, not ex racer, but still damn fast) Gracie, out for a short loop here at Patapsco. She's white with big brown patches, kinda looks like a cow. Riding down the trail, a group of 8-10 deer cross the trail in front of us, and off goes Gracie. Like you, all the yelling and screaming in the world does nothing to alter her pursuit.
    Being winter, all the trees are bear, and you can see for quite a ways. I lose sight of her and the deer. At the top of a ridge, about 100 yards away, I pick them up again, 4 deer in a line, with Gracie right behing them . Funny thing is, there are about 4 or 5 deer behind her, all running in the same line! So here is this line of deer, with a moo cow colored dog right in the middle, all running through the woods. I just kinda stopped yelling at that point, and scratch my head a little as they all disappeared over the ridge. I started yelling again and after a few minutes, she came running back, tongue about a foot long hanging out of her mouth. I wonder what the deer following Gracie was thinking....
    That's one of the best dog stories I've ever heard!They can be a royal pain in the arse sometimes (so can kids) but I can't picture life without mine.(or my kids!)

  19. #19
    high plains drifter
    Reputation: mateoway's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    389

    or smaller critters

    saw this one today.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 67
    Last Post: 03-01-2005, 07:03 AM
  2. Trail Rage - Jogger pepper sprays two cyclists..
    By Fixeyfreeride in forum Passion
    Replies: 124
    Last Post: 12-23-2004, 06:48 PM
  3. Shelving Rock Falls Big Loop info?
    By Adirondack Blues in forum New York
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-11-2004, 01:35 PM
  4. Proposed Skeggs Trail Management Plan
    By font9a in forum Singlespeed
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-04-2004, 09:35 AM
  5. Disciples of Dirt-Oregon trail work
    By General Coonskins in forum Trail Building and Advocacy
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-23-2004, 09:43 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •