track ends + fixed disc caliper + 1 gear ratio

I know that track ends (horizontal, facing back) frames usually have slotted disc caliper mounts to compensate for alignment with different gear ratios.

However, if u are building up a custom frame, plan to ride a certain gear combo only (i've ridden 32x18 since I started SS-ing 2 years ago), went with fixed disc mounts and had the mounts situated so that the caliper would be at the 12:00 position of the rotor for that gearing (no need to remove caliper for wheel removal), there shouldn't be any of the aforementioned issues right? The only time there would be CS adjustments would be for chain stretch, but I'm guessing that amount is so marginal (3mm at most for reasonable chain stretch?) and there wouldn't be a problem with the disc misalignment.
    Is my reasoning valid here?

And worst to comes to worst, if u decide to change the gears, u can just swap out for new pads so u don't have the possibility of mis-worn pads that may drag.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Overall you're correct. Alignment on the rear brake is somewhat insignificant. Dirt jump bikes have had this sort of alignment for a long time. The new Vassago Fisticuff has it as well. I don't think it is very hard to design track ends with an adjustable caliper mount that allows you to remove the rear wheel without loosening the caliper. My Bianchi MUSS could do it and my Monocog can do it. My Karate Monkey and Pugsley cannot. If going custom other options exist. Sliders for one. If you like track ends (like me) then a chainstay mount like On One uses would be good.

Quote Originally Posted by Schmucker
    Overall you're correct. Alignment on the rear brake is somewhat insignificant. Dirt jump bikes have had this sort of alignment for a long time. The new Vassago Fisticuff has it as well. I don't think it is very hard to design track ends with an adjustable caliper mount that allows you to remove the rear wheel without loosening the caliper. My Bianchi MUSS could do it and my Monocog can do it. My Karate Monkey and Pugsley cannot. If going custom other options exist. Sliders for one. If you like track ends (like me) then a chainstay mount like On One uses would be good.
    Thanks, so i requested flanged paragons on my custom build, but am also thinking on just the standard Dj style track dropout with fixed disk caliper for the sake of simplicity and strength (it's spec'd on all his DJ bikes).

Transition Transam is a new one that uses this design as well. So I read some babble about the Fisticuff about not having disc slots so it adopted an inferior design. Theoretically, it would seem so.. if u don't run gearing that was optimized by Vassago for optimal caliper placement over the disc..
    but i wonder if anyone really truly rode a frame with this design for a long time on the trail (not street or DJ) and had or not had problems with disc alignment after adjusting for chain stretch (without changing gears).
    Last edited by unfluid one; 03-15-2009 at 02:06 PM.