Low Rep Count

The Torque is gone!

So, a week or so ago I picked up a 16t freewheel. I am currently riding a 32/18 on a 26r. I realized that while I could push myself and have some good rides, I realized that I was spinning out quite a bit on the flats. Today I finally got around to swapping them out.

I chose a mello loop for the most part. There were a few hills of course, one or two of decent length but mostly fairly short steep ones. I quickly realized that the torque I was used to was gone. It was definitely taking alot more out of me to get up the same hills that I pretty much used to just roll right up. I managed to pretty much make my loop in the same time but I was definitely hella tired.

I also managed to have my second crash of the season. I was booking down a slight hill and into a mellow right turn, I was leaned into the turn, caught a little mud splat, the front started washing out, then I ran over a very small root that was running diagnal across the trail, that was it. I was down before I knew it. Now I am sporting what looks like road rash up my right calf, hip and forearm. Got a few deeper cuts on my hip which I think is a result of me ladding on that damn little root.

This all happened at the 4 mile mark of the ride but I went ahead and did my 11 mile loop anyway. I mean, nothing was broke and all bleeding stops eventually. I will say that my hip is fairly tight already as is my forearm when ever I bend my arm. Hell, putting food in my mouth was starting to get challenging. So I added some beer to the equation and all is better now!

None the less, the switch to the 16t was challenging but I think I will stick with it for a little while before dropping back to the 20 for the winter.

NedwannaB

Opposite here

Quote Originally Posted by 1SPD
    So, a week or so ago I picked up a 16t freewheel. I am currently riding a 32/18 on a 26r. I realized that while I could push myself and have some good rides, I realized that I was spinning out quite a bit on the flats. Today I finally got around to swapping them out.

I chose a mello loop for the most part. There were a few hills of course, one or two of decent length but mostly fairly short steep ones. I quickly realized that the torque I was used to was gone. It was definitely taking alot more out of me to get up the same hills that I pretty much used to just roll right up. I managed to pretty much make my loop in the same time but I was definitely hella tired.

I also managed to have my second crash of the season. I was booking down a slight hill and into a mellow right turn, I was leaned into the turn, caught a little mud splat, the front started washing out, then I ran over a very small root that was running diagnal across the trail, that was it. I was down before I knew it. Now I am sporting what looks like road rash up my right calf, hip and forearm. Got a few deeper cuts on my hip which I think is a result of me ladding on that damn little root.

This all happened at the 4 mile mark of the ride but I went ahead and did my 11 mile loop anyway. I mean, nothing was broke and all bleeding stops eventually. I will say that my hip is fairly tight already as is my forearm when ever I bend my arm. Hell, putting food in my mouth was starting to get challenging. So I added some beer to the equation and all is better now!

None the less, the switch to the 16t was challenging but I think I will stick with it for a little while before dropping back to the 20 for the winter.
    I just added a tooth on my f/w. Like you, didn't care too much for the spinning out on the road heading over to ride, which i don't usually do, but was pressed for time to be able to drive to my normal ride area. Once I got it on the trail it felt alot better being able to stay on top of the cadence. Have to see how it feels on the longer rides.
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

The need for singlespeed
    2:1 is manly but I feel faster and fresher (and my knees are happier) spinning a lower gear around here.

With a good mix of terrain I lose less time vteching the flats than dieseling the climbs.

Dive Bomber
    Adding the cog teeth not always make you faster.

Since I am a spinner/cadence type reducing the teeth makes me faster - I get faster on the average speed.

I compare on the same route mainly flat with a little climbing. On steeper road I got faster but on flat I am slower since the torque is gone very soon.

If you're a pusher type adding teeth will makes you faster.

I thought in the same rpm the resistance is the same in every gear ratio, but it's not. I can spin 130 rpm for longer time with 22x16 but not with 32x20 because the resistance level is different, I have to do more effort maintaining the speed on higher ratio.

local trails rider
    Yep, as mentioned in another thread, a tooth or two will be noticeable

Making the jump!

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

meatier showers
    Want torque? Keep your bigger gear and get longer cranks.

--sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

Low Rep Count
    I hear you Sparty. I should add that I am rocking a 32/16 on 170mm cranks! Definitely more challenging for sure!

I will be riding the 16 come spring and plan on woopin up on alot of the guys I ride with! I will be dedicating this winter to an overhaul. Coming back next year, bigger, stronger, faster! But I will ride the 18 over the winter to just enjoy the ride but will be on my trainer stomping out the intervals when the weather sucks!