Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Took the plung and bught my first Fixie (and some goodies too)

So i took the plung and got myself my first fixie ever, first experiance was weird, and yes the pedlas gave the back of my legs a few whacks when i tried to coast haha - so now i have a nice couple of cuts (all part of the fun i guess)

So i bught myself an NS Analog '10, Then i got some colour matched DMR v8 pedals and a Charge masher chain in green too.

Im going to powdercoat the top cap to match the seat clamp and i have powdercoated one chain ring bolt to match the wheel spokes

Craig

Man up
    Sep 2010
    What is up with the color schemes on "fixies"...
    Jesse
    '08 GF Montare
    '10 Rockhopper SS
    Semper Fidelis
    02-10 SSGT of Marines
    (Most) always down for a ride in the Gville area

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by orion_134
    Jesse
    Why, I thought it was quite funky.

Man up
    Sep 2010
    Indeed, most of them are, this one is actually somewhat tasteful but there are some that just look like clown bikes.
    '08 GF Montare
    '10 Rockhopper SS
    Semper Fidelis
    02-10 SSGT of Marines

mtbr member
    Its plunge, and bought......... Sorry for the flame, but nice bike!

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Get some straps or toe clips. Get rid of the rear brake. Get your seat up unless you're that short.

Man up
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by cannotaim
    Get your seat up unless you're that short.
    It's a fixie DJ bike.
    '08 GF Montare
    '10 Rockhopper SS
    Semper Fidelis
    02-10 SSGT of Marines

Ovaries on the Outside
    It's a fixie DJ bike.
    Does that mean it plays music?

Man up
    Sep 2010
    Better than a pixie DJ bike...imagine that music...man, we are some thread-jacking mofos. Nice bike, dude, now let's get some video of you riding backwards to work!
    '08 GF Montare
    '10 Rockhopper SS
    Semper Fidelis
    02-10 SSGT of Marines

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by umarth
    Does that mean it plays music?
    Haha. Stop acting stupid. I'm sure you know it means dirt jumper.

Ovaries on the Outside
    Haha. Stop acting stupid. I'm sure you know it means dirt jumper.
    Now I do.

mtbr member
    fixies are the new roller blades.

Man up
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle
    fixies are the new roller blades.
    Bahhaahahaha
    '08 GF Montare
    '10 Rockhopper SS
    Semper Fidelis
    02-10 SSGT of Marines

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    dirt jumping a fixie with 28's?
    good luck with that!

EDIT: fixie with rear brakes?! talk about "doing it wrong"
    If steel is real then aluminium is supercallafragiliniun!

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by byknuts
    dirt jumping a fixie with 28's?
    good luck with that!

EDIT: fixie with rear brakes?! talk about "doing it wrong"
    He's gona skid and fall. And DJing fixed isn't really possible is it?

Man up
    Sep 2010
    This thread has lost its sarcastic edge. Nice bike, G, I know Sheldon has a writeup on how to lock up the rear if you need a flat spot on your tire.
    '08 GF Montare
    '10 Rockhopper SS
    Semper Fidelis
    02-10 SSGT of Marines

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Nice. Looks better than a lot of the fixies the "cool kids" at UCSD ride. Been meaning to get one myself to try it out.
    Opinions are like a**holes: Sometimes they need to be punched in the face and told to STFU.

local trails rider
    He's gona skid and fall. And DJing fixed isn't really possible is it?
    All sorts of things are possible fixed, if the bike is strong enough... just don't ask me to show you

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

Dive Bomber
    I want to see DJ in hot tight hipster pants.

local trails rider
    Search and you will find

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

VENI VEDI BIKI
    Jesse
    Color coordinating is much more important than frame size, seatpost adjustment or quality components. New studies indicate that color coordinating your rim, chain, seatpost clamp, hubs, and headset pacers reduces friction by a 20 percent. It also increases the rider's "ironicness" by a coefficient of 45.

Besides, what difference does it make if you can get somewhere fast if you can't look good getting there?

local trails rider
    Here's a fixie trick video for your inspiration:

<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/15153725" width="600" height="338" frameborder="0"></iframe><p><a href="http://vimeo.com/15153725">Matt Montoya</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/user191015">MACAFRAMA</a> on <a href="http://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>

(found at http://14bikeco.wordpress.com/page/3/)

Man up
    Sep 2010
    Broken crank, yow. It definitely looked like he coasted on the jump at :20, but I may be wrong. I like how he got on the front tire to reset the cranks before the stair drop.
    '08 GF Montare
    '10 Rockhopper SS
    Semper Fidelis
    02-10 SSGT of Marines

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Ouch. Breaking a crank on a bike with no other brakes O_O

I've kinda wanted to build a cyclocross fixie, or a full-on mountain fixie. I see people bashing on road rims pretty hard, but I still worry cuz I'm a lot bigger than most of those people.
    Opinions are like a**holes: Sometimes they need to be punched in the face and told to STFU.

You know my steez...
    That backwards power-slide was the bomb!
    I'm unique, just like everyone else....

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I call this de-evolution

Low Rep Count
    <object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/NiJx2kNLFZA?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/NiJx2kNLFZA?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Low Rep Count
    I can see where alot of the tricks come from. Take this first one and then watch the second. I vote for Mr. Ross any day! (not fixed mind you but hey, bike bike little guy or big guy little bike)
    <object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/SZ4STx2m0pA?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/SZ4STx2m0pA?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Now This! Ross Rocks!
    <object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/YH1RVUcRgg0?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/YH1RVUcRgg0?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Low Rep Count
    BTW, I like the color combo! The bike looks like it will be pretty fun to ride around.

local trails rider
    It definitely looked like he coasted on the jump at :20, but I may be wrong.
    Those guys do a lot of skidding: stop the cranks for "braking" or getting the cranks aligned for something.

... just shows how effective a rear brake is for slowing down

I could imagine riding a bike like that but I'd put slicks and a bullhorn bar on it, and raise the seat for pedaling.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    How are those brakes working on painted rims?

mtbr member
    I looked at the NS bikes a while ago. They look like awesome bikes! As for the first Fixed video, that nollie off of the stair gap was insane. Also, any video featuring Aaron Ross is dope! I am a BMX rider at heart and I ride fixed too so this thread gave me a stiffy. You guys should check out the videos over at Charge:

http://www.chargebikes.com/video/
    My motorcycle runs on infant blood

Low Rep Count
    Man, I have been watching videos for the past 15 minutes and while the idea of building an fixie has been on my mind for a while, the reality is that I live in the middle of a neighborhood. I don't have any cool places to go cruise around like these people do. I also don't have anyone that will go with me.

I am still thinking about building one over the winter though. My problem is that I like really nice stuff. So picking up one for cheap works in the beginning but then I am stuck. I know I will want some sort of nice Italian frame with Philwood hubs or high flange classic Campy track hubs. Boom their went the cheap fixie right there! Some day!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    how do the vbrakes work with the powdercoated rims?

mtbr member
    Is it still cool if Kevin Bacon did it in the 80's

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/uIwMGkqa6Sw?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/uIwMGkqa6Sw?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Ovaries on the Outside
    Quote Originally Posted by tacoma350
    how do the vbrakes work with the powdercoated rims?
    It wears off the powdercoat and then you should be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by 1SPD
    I am still thinking about building one over the winter though. My problem is that I like really nice stuff.
    Get a cross frame. It'll make a solid fixed gear, then you can take it on the trails, race the local series and get some fenders and rack mounts in there. Make it your beater- scavenge parts off craigslist and then maybe you won't go upgrade crazy...

Teen Wolf
    cool bike, you'll probably get more respect at bikeforums.net with a fixie so ignore the haters here. enjoy.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ne_dan
    Is it still cool if Kevin Bacon did it in the 80's

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/uIwMGkqa6Sw?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/uIwMGkqa6Sw?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
    Huh. Interesting that everyone ran their drop bars upside-down. Now everyone seems to be trying to get the handlebars as low as possible. I wonder when 700+mm freeride bars will come into fashion for fixies

local trails rider
    <object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/hX9phXawPc4?fs=1&amp;hl=fi_FI"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/hX9phXawPc4?fs=1&amp;hl=fi_FI" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

mtbr member
    May 2006
    [QUOTE=umarth]It wears off the powdercoat and then you should be fine.

Uhh, NO, it won't work fine...

It won't wear evenly and you'll have some grabby spots on the rim. Also, if it ever rains, good luck getting that thing stopped.

Ever wonder why the brake rotors on your car, motorcycle, or mtn bike, all start out with a machined surface?

Clearly the builder of this bike has put style before function or safety.

Kicker of Elves
    [QUOTE=Wiggs]

It won't wear evenly and you'll have some grabby spots on the rim. Also, if it ever rains, good luck getting that thing stopped.

Ever wonder why the brake rotors on your car, motorcycle, or mtn bike, all start out with a machined surface?

Well technically he said "wears off the powdercoat" not "wears off SOME of the powdercoat". But I'm just kidding.

This bike is, um, a little different. It's a new style of Fixie and is called a Plung I think.

Ovaries on the Outside
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiggs
    \

Ever wonder why cars and motorcycles have disc brakes? I mean, if you are going to ever compare something, at least make sure they are using rim brakes so you can make an apt comparison.

I commuted on a fixed gear without machine side walls in rainy Oregon for a couple years and if I needed the front brake, it did work, without grabby spots. The waviness on a rim is less than a couple mm. I'm not the only one who knows this is true....

But hey, we learn something every day....

Kicker of Elves
    [QUOTE=Wiggs]

Well technically he said "wears off the powdercoat" not "wears off SOME of the powdercoat". But I'm just kidding.

This bike is, um, a little different. It's a new style of Fixie and is called a Plung I think.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    [QUOTE=umarth]Ever wonder why cars and motorcycles have disc brakes? I mean, if you are going to ever compare something, at least make sure they are using rim brakes so you can make an apt comparison.

A rim brake IS a disk brake. It just has a really large rotor diameter.

Rim brakes, disk brakes, drum brakes, car, motorcycle, bike, tractor...In any situation, a proper braking surface is never painted or powercoated.

Ovaries on the Outside
    [QUOTE=Wiggs]
    Ever wonder why cars and motorcycles have disc brakes? I mean, if you are going to ever compare something, at least make sure they are using rim brakes so you can make an apt comparison.

A rim brake IS a disk brake. It just has a really large rotor diameter.

Rim brakes, disk brakes, drum brakes, car, motorcycle, bike, tractor...In any situation, a proper braking surface is never painted or powercoated.
    If you want to battle the non essentials in this one out, send me a PM and we can go at it. Because rim braking vs. using a rotor is very different. The point is, his rim is fine for rim brakes once he wears out the powdercoat.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    lots of fixie riders that don't ride in traffic much don't have brakes at all.

So who cares? If they're used in an emergency, there will at least be some grab on the powdercoat and that combined with the pedal resistance should do a good enough job cruising around town. Maybe we're all just spoiled by hydraulic disc brakes?

Ovaries on the Outside
    Quote Originally Posted by SquishyPanda
    lots of fixie riders that don't ride in traffic much don't have brakes at all.

So who cares? If they're used in an emergency, there will at least be some grab on the powdercoat and that combined with the pedal resistance should do a good enough job cruising around town. Maybe we're all just spoiled by hydraulic disc brakes?
    I want to be spoiled by hydros... but the mechanicals get it done.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I want to be spoiled by hydros... but the mechanicals get it done.
    Same here, but I was just using the example of the state-of-the-art vs. good enough when good enough is all you need sometimes.

Mtbr Forum Sponsor - Homebrewed Components
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by SquishyPanda
    Huh. Interesting that everyone ran their drop bars upside-down. Now everyone seems to be trying to get the handlebars as low as possible. I wonder when 700+mm freeride bars will come into fashion for fixies
    haha i hope it comes into fashion. I run some big ass DH bars on my Bianchi San Jose, which i guess can be fixed if i flip my wheel around.
    I needed the leverage on the climbs, and it's all i had in my spare parts bin.

L09erdr
    Like the colors, but Fixies? Sketchy! Sketchy! If you want to DJ get a 24" or 26" BMX/DJ/Urban bike if you cant fit or want a 20" BMX. Fixies are streetable in the bmx sense but trails? It can be done but not real ideal. 700c wheels and technically a road bike n all.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast