Doesntplaywellwithmorons!

Took 6 months to assemble it but its finally done...

and it rides pretty damn good all things considered, had a couple minor chain line issues (nothing more than needing to shift the cog spacing over a couple mm) on the two hour ride over about half the route I'm using for the enduro race for a local mtb website I'm also a member of, and as long as momentum is maintained, it took super thick semi-dry clay mud or miss-steering thru root gardens to force a dismount. The gear is a 34:19 so its biased more towards the technical climbing that's the make up of a lot of trails my area.

Parts wise.... let's see... 18" Catamount frame w/Rockshox SID XC shock, Noleen Elite fork, YST Duro headset, carbon spacers, Ballistic Ti stem, Shimano DX V-brakes and levers with XTR housing, Magura Corkies grips, ClubRoost CompII GoFast bar, Kalloy Uno seatpost, Velo Titanium saddle, Kooka Kranks (180mm) with 34T Vuelta ring and Kooka Ringguard, Sette Carbon SPDs, KMR Titanium BB (cups, spindle, and lockrings are Ti), Shimano UG 19T cog, Axiom No-Railleur tensioner, KMC Z-chain, Nukeproof Superfly hubs laced to Araya RM-400 Team rims with DT Revolution 14/17/14 butted spokes and alloy nipples, Rox rimtape, Kenda Superlight presta tubes, Schwalbe BigJim Lite 2.25 tires, Tranz-X Titanium wheel skewers. Think that about covers it all. I actually forgot to stick a bell on it before my testride, so it'll likely end up at 24.7 pounds after that goes on but after it was otherwise completed it came out as 11.16kg per my digital hanging scale, which is 24.6 pounds. Quite acceptable considering the pig of a frame I used (even with switching to the sid shock, it was still over 7 pounds). I also had to cut and ziptie on some Oury grip sections for the fork to keep it from banging the frame, the curse of dual crowns as it were.

PS...before someone mentions the long stem (150mm x 10 degree rise), take note I'm 6'6 and the 23" toptube was a bit lacking for my usual tastes, so it required the old school geometry fix of extra stem length.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

6x7=Dont Panic!
    Your builds always have such cool parts. I think it came out very well.
    Herro prease

Lol...and on the local board I've had a half dozen go "that's ugly" or similar... course they're also mainly teenagers who's definition of a nice singlespeed is a planet-x pitbull or something similar (there are so many damn PXs in this town its not even funny).
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

now known as P.I.-SSer
    Dec 2004
    interesting set-up!

how does it ride? that Noleen fork has a "J" action right?

Yes it has the J action, and it rides on super rooty/rocky terrain very well. I'm just kicking myself now for forgetting to use my biopace chainring on it, could have had some extra torque.

Mtn Biker Machinist

magic ratio?

Did you try to find a gear ratio that would allow you to run without a tensioner? I was really looking at one of those frames from Cambria Bike to build up an FS SS with no tensioner. Let us know if you try it and what combo worked. Love the build looks sweet!

you go ahead
    Feb 2005
    damn that's one ugly bike.

I like the front shok setup. you don't see many of those around.

Nope, no interest in running without a tensioner.

drinker
    Jan 2004
    there's a reason most of those parts were obsolete 10+ years ago upie.....

mtbr member

Hooooboy!!!

D@mn... that is one UGLY somb!tch! But... I must admit that I think its super sweet and I'm jealous. I admire your deal findingness for scraping up all the cheap stuff to build a cool retro-ish anti-blinglespeed. I thought about buying one of those frames and doing the same.
    -Sean

mad aussie
    Just need some old skool tires like Panaracer Dart/Smoke and you will be good to go.
    Makes me almost wish I had kept my Breezer Beamer and converted it into a SS. Now that would be cool. Of course I would find myself remembering why I got rid of it in the first place.

Sime : Other than it being an URT frame, there's nothing really obsolete about it. Square taper still works fine as a BB interface, cartridge bearings don't go out of usefulness (and the headset, BB, and hubs all employ 'em), and a UG cog works just as well as a king cog. 4-bar linkage forks have several upsides to them, not the least of which being the axle path that follows the terrain better, and the lack of brake dive. Its too bad more companies didn't employ them or spend the time developing longer travel versions.

Sean350 : Cambriabike still has some fox vanilla coil-shock equipped catamounts on ebay. I got mine from ediscountbike though, it came with a rockshox deluxe shock (which I resold last month), and I put one of my Sid XC rear shocks on instead to save weight.

wombat : I actually have some of the cream-coloured magic compound Smoke/Dart 2.1s I could use instead, and may resort to using. I don't much care for the schwalbe tire's handling in wet conditions when leaning over. Not enough edge knob support to them for my taste. As to a beamer, I still have an NOS Beam kit in the box, complete with manual and mounting adapter kit to convert just about any double-diamond layout frame to beam bike.

Updated the pics to solve the glare.