mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Is This Too Much Fork Up Front?

I have an 03' Monocog. A friend recently offered me a 2003 Z.1. I think it has something like 5" of travel or something. I realize that putting that fork on that frame will slightly alter the geometry of the bike, mainly the downtube angle. But will adding a fork with that much travel comprimise the frame? Thanks.

hands up who wants to die
    What do you mean by "too much"? It's "too much" by XC racing standards, certainly.

I have a moncog that is still rigid. I thnk the geometry of the bike could handle that fork, though it would be way taller and slower-handling; definitely not XC-feeling. Compared to the rigid Monocog fork, you will probably be raising the front end by a good 3" I'm guessing. probably at least 2 degrees of HA.
    However, I like slack headtube angles myself. As for whether you'll break the frame - dunno. The monocog is pretty tough, but i don't know about the quality of the welds.

That is such a nice fork for riding hard. I'd say put the Z.1 on there, ride the *&^$ out of it, and then buy a nicer frame if you break it. Oh - and tell us how it works out.

-rob in NY

Recovering Weight Weenie
    Quote Originally Posted by SantaCruzSingleSpeeder
    I have an 03' Monocog. A friend recently offered me a 2003 Z.1. I think it has something like 5" of travel or something. I realize that putting that fork on that frame will slightly alter the geometry of the bike, mainly the downtube angle. But will adding a fork with that much travel comprimise the frame? Thanks.
    Slightly alter the geometry? Uh, try, overwhelmingly exaggerate the geometry.
    IMO, don't do it. Wrong fork for the bike.
    Would you put a 3" XC fork on a DH bike?
    Don't put a freeride fork on a SS designed for a 3" fork.
    Talk to your LBS about adjusting the travel on the fork, if that's not possible, take the fork, sell it, and get something more appropriate for your frame.

I'm sticky
    Aug 2004
    Is your friend giving it to you for free?? If so, TRY IT!!

It'll definitely change the feel of the bike... and I'm sure you'll get all sorts of opinions on whether that is a good thing or not. But, the only opinion that is worth anything is your own.

If you like it sweet! If you don't, give the fork back, pass it onto someone else, or use it on a different bike. But it can't hurt to try it!

Well - technically using too long of a fork on a frame could hurt the frame - he could break the head tube off if he goes too big with the Z1. But I'd bet against frame failure on anything up to 5 foot drops. *shrug*

go 4 it! You will have fun tearing up the UCSC singletrack and Braille trail with the Z.1.
    That fork is nicer/worth more than a Monocog frame anyway. The one drawback on the '03 Z.1 is the max tire clearance... it's about 2.5" or so.

-rob

Medium?

I wouldn't...

...want to pedal that 5" squishy bastard up anything very steep. It'd be fun for a shuttle run in D'ville for a day though. If you never have to ride up hill, go for it. I ran that fork and an 8" brake on a superlight for a year or so. It worked ok.

banned
    Apr 2004

Put down the mountain dew

and listen to Padre, he is the voice of reason.

'03 Z1 has ETA. it climbs great, except for the weight. But anyone riding a Monocog shouldn't be too concerned about that.

-r

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Padre
    Slightly alter the geometry? Uh, try, overwhelmingly exaggerate the geometry.
    IMO, don't do it. Wrong fork for the bike.
    Would you put a 3" XC fork on a DH bike?
    Don't put a freeride fork on a SS designed for a 3" fork.
    Talk to your LBS about adjusting the travel on the fork, if that's not possible, take the fork, sell it, and get something more appropriate for your frame.
    [SIZE=4]BINGO![/SIZE] The head and seat tube angles will be about 2 degrees slacker. The BB will be higher. The bars will be higher. The handling will go to h###.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

What about this?

I have a Medium Santa Cruz Superlight that you guys helped me convert to single speed. I have a 2002 Marzocchi Xfly on it with 100mm of travel. What do you guys think about putting the Z.1 (5" travel) on the Superlight and putting the Xfly (4" travel) on the redline? Just a thought. Thanks.

I think 5" fork on a Superlight voids the warranty, if you care.

-r

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by rpet
    I think 5" fork on a Superlight voids the warranty, if you care.

-r
    damn. as hard as it is I think i'm gonna have to pass this deal up. oh well. thanks for the responses

Its only 1" on the map!
    I have a Monocog as well and a 5" Manitou Black fork hanging the garage. I have thought about throwing it on there just to play around but I'm with Fast Eddy on not wanting to pedal uphill with that thing on the front end.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bike Nazi
    and listen to Padre, he is the voice of reason.
    I'll call BS on that one...

It is the rider not the bike.

Just because you can't handle a bike with slack geometry, doesn't mean he can't handle a bike with slack geometry.

In the end, it's up to him. All he needs to be concerned with are his skillz, riding style, and frame warranty. (NOT TO MENTION PAST RIDING EXPERIENCE).

It's awfully nice that you share your opinion, but then word it as such.

(ff)

I'm feeling dirty, you?
    Quote Originally Posted by firefox
    I'll call BS on that one...

It is the rider not the bike.

Just because you can't handle a bike with slack geometry, doesn't mean he can't handle a bike with slack geometry.

In the end, it's up to him. All he needs to be concerned with are his skillz, riding style, and frame warranty. (NOT TO MENTION PAST RIDING EXPERIENCE).

It's awfully nice that you share your opinion, but then word it as such.

(ff)
    Let's see you ride a Schwinn Stingray down 'rough-fun' trails.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jonowee
    Let's see you ride a Schwinn Stingray down 'rough-fun' trails.
    You first.

(ff)
    Last edited by firefox; 12-20-2004 at 06:12 AM.

mtbr member

I did it

I had a 1FG with a Fox RLC125 (which is not suspension corrected). It was fun, could eat it up coming down rough terrain. Like someone else posted depends on what you plan on doing, XC, Free ride??? I now have an 80mm on a Juan Solo, the steering response is so much better, even contemplating on going back to rigid as I did when I first got the 1FG.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

SS w/ 130 mm up front

I currently run a Bianchi SISS with an 2005 fox vanilla r 130 up front. It does alter the geometry a bit but not enough that I worry. I knew when I bought the fork that it would do that but I would rather have some good travel than rigid. I race in long type xc events and do not worry about where I finish, just for fun. BTW, the fork feels awesome...good job Fox.

mtbr member
    I have this 130mm (i think it's 5"?is it?) fork in my Inbred and it runs nicely and smooth. Inbreds geometry is desinged for 100mm fork i think. First i tought the fork will ruin my beauty but it didn't.

(ps. sorry my english...i'm just a poor country boy from Finland and my former english teacher turns in her grave every time when i try to express myself in english... )

http://www.pinkbike.com/modules/phot...w&image=362372