Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2014

Titanium single speeds?

Does anyone else have a titanium frame SS? This is my first SS MTB, ive had many road bike converts in the past. The top pic is after I painted the seat post and put taller bars and stem on. I picked it up from a dude on craigslist for 80 bucks... Cant find any info about the frame other than its russian, titanium, and weighs 3.3 LBS. Anyone ever heard of KGB cycles? Theres only one relevant page on google Anyways I just wanted to see if anyone else has a titanium setup as an SS. And while im here, can anyone recommend a good chain tensioner? Im still saving up for that beautiful white eccentric hub.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Titanium single speeds?-imag0289.jpg  

Titanium single speeds?-img_20140522_201611.jpg  

mtbr member
    Yup, still running my 1998 Kona Hei Hei. I am currently running a Yess Ert/B tensioner that has worked flawless over the past two years.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by smac View Post
    Yup, still running my 1998 Kona Hei Hei. I am currently running a Yess Ert/B tensioner that has worked flawless over the past two years.
    the BB mounted one?
    KGB Cycles titanium frame
    Avid Juicy front disc
    Cane Creek S5 headset
    Rockshox SID dual air fork
    23lbs total weight

Birdman aka JMJ
    I'm running a 1991 CBO/ Litespeed ti frame with an Eric's Eccentric ENO WI hub.

JMJ

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Looks good. I was thinking about stripping and polishing the frame, but the paint job grew on me.
    Avid Juicy front disc
    Cane Creek S5 headset
    23lbs total weight

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Yep I love mine:
    Titanium single speeds?-1171231_1426734634243589_1743728376_n.jpg
    "...when I stand to climb I'm like the Hulk rowing the USS Badass up the Kickass River."
    -michaelscott

1*14*29*2.1 & 1*1*29*2.4
    Nov 2009
    Me too, still loving mine as much as when it was new, not that it is that old. Dedicated rigid SS with sliders and short AC.

Titanium single speeds?-finishedwashed_209_zps1cb3cbdb.jpg

bike rider
    I had this Habanero 26er Ti SS. It weighed 14.4lbs and was a little flexy. Gear was a 24x12.

I also had this Vassago 29er Ti SS and with the fork it weighed 17.9lbs. It was still flexy and had a 26x14 gear which is the same as a 32x17 that is commonly run here in Houston and even in Austin.

I'm on a Niner SIR which is steel and I really like it. It weighs 19.4lbs
    Last edited by mattkock; 09-05-2017 at 07:54 PM.
    My Bikes Kick Ass!!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    That is incredible the steel frame bike is that light. Mine is at 23 pounds it needs to go on a diet...
    Avid Juicy front disc
    Cane Creek S5 headset
    23lbs total weight

that guy
    Jun 2011

Re: Titanium single speeds?

Quote Originally Posted by boulderse92 View Post
    That is incredible the steel frame bike is that light. Mine is at 23 pounds it needs to go on a diet...
    Steel frame + everything else carbon = pure win.

Tires
    Quote Originally Posted by mattkock View Post
    I had this Habanero 26er Ti SS. It weighed 14.4lbs and was a little flexy. Gear was a 24x12.
    I also had this Vassago 29er Ti SS and with the fork it weighed 17.9lbs. It was still flexy and had a 26x14 gear which is the same as a 32x17 that is commonly run here in Houston and even in Austin.
    Are all ti frames flexy? I've never ridden one, but always wanted to try. I rode a ti fork once, and didn't like how flexy it was, so I'm wondering if it's just how titanium is, or are some brands stiffer than others?
    Soma, Surly, Salsa, Schwalbe, SRAM, Sun-Ringlé

1*14*29*2.1 & 1*1*29*2.4
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Gritter View Post
    Are all ti frames flexy? I've never ridden one, but always wanted to try. I rode a ti fork once, and didn't like how flexy it was, so I'm wondering if it's just how titanium is, or are some brands stiffer than others?
    no, but I don't think they are ever really stiff. Solid is a good way to describe a Ti frame that isnt flexy. I can't comment though as I have had 2 ti frames neither one flexy. I think the ones that try to get too light or do very unusual designs can run the risk of getting a little flexy. If the tubes keep to particular diameters and keep decent geo they should be good.

mtbr member
    Ti builds that are deemed flexy seem to always be built up as light as possible. Unless you spend huge money- a super light bike tends to get flexy. I have rode a few Ti bikes and have four buddies locally that have Vassago Optimus Ti's and they all felt some flex in the rear that was easily remedied going with a thru axle on the rear. Obviously, everyone is different.
    Vassago Cycles, Shadetree Bikes, Flat Tire Bikes, Galfer Brakes USA

bike rider
    The new Optimus Ti is WAY stiffer than the one that I had. You can get a custom Ti frame built up as stiff as you want but it will cost you a pretty penny.

That being said, I WILL have another Ti SS soon. Nothing beats the ride quality of Ti, except maybe a really nice Steel frame.
    My Bikes Kick Ass!!!

Birdman aka JMJ
    Are all ti frames flexy?
    My Litespeed-built ti frame is really old, so it has straight gauge tubes. Consequently, it is stiffer than my 2002 steel Soma Groove hardtail (also set up SS).

BTW, I paid just $200 for that frame, and another $180 for the titanium fork. Weight is 20.5 lb.

JMJ

1*14*29*2.1 & 1*1*29*2.4
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Birdman View Post
    My Litespeed-built ti frame is really old, so it has straight gauge tubes. Consequently, it is stiffer than my 2002 steel Soma Groove hardtail (also set up SS).

BTW, I paid just $200 for that frame, and another $180 for the titanium fork. Weight is 20.5 lb.

JMJ
    got a photo, would like to see that.

Stokeless Asshat
    Ti can be built to ride most any way the builder would like. Flexy Flyer to Klein stiff. It's about tubing selection.
    Zip ties? Not on my bike!

Want:
    650B rims or wheel set. 80's vintage 32 or 36 x 135mm

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Quote Originally Posted by jeff View Post
    Ti can be built to ride most any way the builder would like. Flexy Flyer to Klein stiff. It's about tubing selection.
    This is true of any frame material. It is not which material, but how it is used.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Category Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    This is true of any frame material. It is not which material, but how it is used.
    True dat. Ti ain't gotta be flexy.

WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

I get paid 3¢ every time I post on MTBR.

1*14*29*2.1 & 1*1*29*2.4
    Nov 2009
    yes it is true, but keeping things reasonable like tube bend radius and frame weight and clearances mean there are some limits. Diameter and profiles the same, different materials will most likely exhibit different traits. When I had my frames built I could have specified nearly anything, but went with what was the best mix of stiffness and weight and ride and clearances and minimal manipulation that I could.

Birdman aka JMJ
    Quote Originally Posted by finch2 View Post
    got a photo, would like to see that.
    Post #4 of this thread, and ...

1*14*29*2.1 & 1*1*29*2.4
    Nov 2009
    thanks...looks great

mtbr member

SPP
    Rigid.

mtbr member
    I like mine a lot!

Titanium single speeds?-mybikeinthewoods.jpg
    Custom frame bags and accessories.

Instagram @andrewthemaker

atmhandmadegoods.com

Dirty South Underdog
    It depends on how its built. I've got a custom Cysco hardtail (and a road bike), and both were built to be very stiff, with an oversized downtube and fat chainstays (the MTB uses the Paragon 3" tire yoke, which allows for 7/8" chainstays) They match the stiffness of most carbon frames, though, if you're worried about weight, it is a little bit of a trade-off. They're still lighter than aluminum, but they're not as light as carbon. It's not set up SS right now, but I can use any PF30 EBB to do so:

Titanium single speeds?-3.jpg

Post-wash pic: https://twitter.com/BrickhouseMTB/st...171713/photo/1
    Brickhouse Blog (most known unknown)

Just Riding Along- best internet radio show on Mountain Bike Radio

mtbr member
    Oh wait....I thought you just said PF30 as if it was a good thing jk

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Love mine...I'll take a little flex for the ride quality.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel J View Post

Dope.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    check out what ENGIN is doing with Ti these days. Flexy is not a term I would use to describe them. All about how you build it.....

mtbr member
    Titanium SS, don't do it, all wrong, all bad, stay away ;-P
    Lead actor Will of the Sun, Author Platform Pedal Shootout 900K+ views

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I love my vulture!Name:  Sideview.jpg
Views: 4136
Size:  81.1 KB

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by thorkild View Post
    I love my vulture!Name:  Sideview.jpg
Views: 4136
Size:  81.1 KB
    Those Ardents look massive. How wide are those rims?
    "...when I stand to climb I'm like the Hulk rowing the USS Badass up the Kickass River."
    -michaelscott

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Iamrockandroll13 View Post
    Those Ardents look massive. How wide are those rims?
    They are Derby's 40mm rims. Check the 27.5 forum for details. I highly recommend them. Significant improvements in traction and tire pressure. I can run 23 psi in the Derby's, but I need 28 with a standard rim.

more skier than biker
    Nov 2006
    My 2011 Independent Fabrication Ti Deluxe 29'er.

Titanium single speeds?-photo-2-.jpg

Neg reppers r my biatches
    why would anybody now buy a Ti bike with the plethora of of carbon options? i guess if you want retro "look" otherwise i see no logic. my 2 cents...

Category Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle View Post
    why would anybody now buy a Ti bike with the plethora of of carbon options? i guess if you want retro "look" otherwise i see no logic. my 2 cents...
    Short stays?
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

Quote Originally Posted by teamdicky View Post
    Short stays?
    sorry...I am such an idiot. Absolutely, the ability for Ti frames to allow for the shortest chain stays over competing materials thus, making them JNCarpenter approved...is worth its weight in gold. phuck carbon

Category Winner
    sorry...I am such an idiot. Absolutely, the ability for Ti frames to allow for the shortest chain stays over competing materials thus, making them JNCarpenter approved...is worth its weight in gold. phuck carbon
    As long as we understand each other.
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I went Ti because I have two friends with carbon bikes. The first friend is on his 3rd frame. First died when the front der cracked the seat tube. Second died when he kicked the chain stay with his heal during a ride. The other friend is on his second frame. His first frame died when the drive side chain stay cracked. No crash damage on any of these failures. I'm harder on equipment than either of these friends, and tend to crash fairly often. My last crash was an OTB affair in a steep, downhill rock garden. Hit the frame on a rock in a crash like that with a carbon frame and you're buying a new frame. Ti, it might dent.

Quote Originally Posted by solo-x View Post
    I went Ti because I have two friends with carbon bikes. The first friend is on his 3rd frame. First died when the front der cracked the seat tube. Second died when he kicked the chain stay with his heal during a ride. The other friend is on his second frame. His first frame died when the drive side chain stay cracked. No crash damage on any of these failures. I'm harder on equipment than either of these friends, and tend to crash fairly often. My last crash was an OTB affair in a steep, downhill rock garden. Hit the frame on a rock in a crash like that with a carbon frame and you're buying a new frame. Ti, it might dent.
    fair points though i dont know if your friends are fat arses etc but still, you changed my mind on carbon so i will stick with Ti. plus, Ti doesnt rust and i keep my bikes for at least 5 months so thats a huge plus.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010

Nice ride. I'm on a Pro29 as well, but with a Fox CTD fork. What do you have yours down to for weight? Are those carbon wheels?

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrone Shoelaces View Post
    but why would anybody now buy a carbon bike with the plethora of titanium options? I guess if you want that modern "look" otherwise I see no logic. my 2 cents...

you are clearly very naive. I only wear roadie attire when i mountain bike and wearing such attire on anything but a carbon bike is a major fashion faux pas, especially when chillaxin at starbucks with fellow roadies.

more skier than biker
    Nov 2006
    but why would anybody now buy a carbon bike with the plethora of titanium options? I guess if you want that modern "look" otherwise I see no logic. my 2 cents...

Ride,Smile, Pedal Damn it
    That's bad ass!

mtbr member

Bam! Ti single speed!

18 pounds 12 ounces of Ti goodness!

Titanium single speeds?-img_20140516_181501.jpg

Titanium single speeds?-img_20140516_153502.jpg
    Chumba Stella
    King Cielo- For Sale
    Vassago VerHauen-For Sale
    Kestrel Legend SL
    Soma Rush

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by solo-x View Post
    Nice ride. I'm on a Pro29 as well, but with a Fox CTD fork. What do you have yours down to for weight? Are those carbon wheels?
    Thanks, I also have a Fox CTD fork that I had been using prior to going to the rigid fork. Right now it's a bit over 19lbs, XL frame. If I throw on my Specialized tires, high 18's. They are LB carbon rims laced to Chris King hubs.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Upgraded my fork, front wheel, brake rotor, and damn this this is really a monster hard tail now. 2005 Fox 36 TALAS fork, big fat mammoth front wheel and shimano ice tech 180mm rotor Front end weighs a ton now, but the rest of the bike makes up for it. Time to get out on some bumpy trails!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Titanium single speeds?-rsz_imag0404.jpg  

Avid Juicy front disc
    Cane Creek S5 headset
    23lbs total weight

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    fair points though i dont know if your friends are fat arses etc but still, you changed my mind on carbon so i will stick with Ti. plus, Ti doesnt rust and i keep my bikes for at least 5 months so thats a huge plus.
    Both are lighter than I am, and I'm ~180 geared up. I'm not trying to change your mind, just explaining why I chose the "inferior" option.

MTB NOLA

Ti.. Jack don't know Ti!!

Titanium single speeds?-screen-shot-2014-07-16-9.39.55-pm.jpg
    BadaSS background teamdicky

Titanium single speeds?-dsc03315.jpg
    Can't paSS up the chance to post mine again!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2011

What fork you got on there Gabriel J?

Stateline Falls, Watauga
    After two years and maybe 3000 miles I'm really loving this bike. Old age and wrist pain does have me considering a squish fork, though...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Titanium single speeds?-dsc_0007_resize.jpg  

Titanium single speeds?-dsc_0003_resize.jpg  

It never gets easier, you just go faster. -Greg LeMond
    I'm not as fast as I think I am. -JeffL

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Xmiplay FK-052. Superlight, and 15qr so I don't need to fuss with my front hub if I throw the suspension fork on here and there.

-Gabe

Quote Originally Posted by captnpenguin View Post
    What fork you got on there Gabriel J?

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I've run ti frames with an 80mm suspension fork that had remote lockout for the uphills. Simply divine.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I run a Moots Rigormootis with drops, rock shock up front, caliber brakes. Love it. Looking to play with some mods now but TI is here to stay for me. I crushed a carbon frame on down hill wipe out. No more.

mtbr member
    I have a hankering for a Spot Cream. if this new job works out, it might replace my Karate Monkey.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffL View Post
    After two years and maybe 3000 miles I'm really loving this bike. Old age and wrist pain does have me considering a squish fork, though...
    Nah. You just need a fatter tire and perhaps a more compliant fork.

mtbr member
    If your wrists get sore from impacts, consider increasing sweep (and a longer stem to retain bike fit as it was). For me it worked really well.

Here's mine, it's a Titus Fireline Ti prototype with SS fork ends I made myself (the commercial ones wouldn't fit):

After this initial setup I have reduced stack and increased reach, as the drop bar didn't require quite the stem shortness and height I thought it would. Also the saddle has been moved to the rear with a layback seat post.

get down!
    I'm selling my Kona Raijin if anyone is interested... it's a 20" with a custom Jen Greene headbadge. Amazing condition. Asking $1k which is ~ 50% less than retail. PM for more info.
    Rudy Projects look ridiculous

visit my blog, BEATS, BIKES & LIFE

meh... whatever
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    I have a hankering for a Spot Cream. if this new job works out, it might replace my Karate Monkey.
    i've only gotten two rides in on my cream, but i love it. it's the badger only better. phenomenal riding frame, and the spot carbon fork is perfecto on it. can't say enough good about it.
    "Knowledge is good." ~ Emil Faber

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Can you offer up your opinion on this frame and what size-range person it would fit? there's not much out there infowise, but its a cool looking frame and I stumbled into one.

Does anyone else have a titanium frame SS? This is my first SS MTB, ive had many road bike converts in the past. The top pic is after I painted the seat post and put taller bars and stem on. I picked it up from a dude on craigslist for 80 bucks... Cant find any info about the frame other than its russian, titanium, and weighs 3.3 LBS. Anyone ever heard of KGB cycles? Theres only one relevant page on google Anyways I just wanted to see if anyone else has a titanium setup as an SS. And while im here, can anyone recommend a good chain tensioner? Im still saving up for that beautiful white eccentric hub.

EXORCIZE
    I'm selling my 20" KONA RAIJIN if anyone is interested. Haven't listed it yet. Low miles. Getting a full suspension rig and need the ca$h. Frame only, or frame plus parts, or full bike. PM me. Would love to sell locally (Phoenix area).
    2017 Diamondback Haanjo
    2016 Pivot 429T
    2011 Kona Unit

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Seven single speed

Titanium single speeds?-bike-ride-pony-express-june-4th2016-074.jpg

mtbr member
    Ragley TD-1

Put the fat front tyre on for comfort in a rocky 12 hour race.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 57º36' Highlands, Scotland

aka: SpeedyChix
    Apr 2005
    Love this one, spends part of the year with gears.

Titanium single speeds?-p1040566.jpg
    Last edited by SpeedyChix; 08-05-2016 at 07:49 PM.
    Adrenaline junkie.
    2x "big c" and enjoying life.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Old thread, but here's my Spot:

Titanium single speeds?-spot.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    It is a Ti SS or nothing for me. I LOVE my Cysco! It was just over 19 pounds with the White Brothers fork and 22 pounds with the older Reba, I changed between the two a lot. That was with a really nice Paul / Stans wheel set on it. Now I am running a I9 torch SS and Trail wheel set and finally upgraded from the 1 1/8" steer and 9mm QR to a tapered and 15mm and a new Reba. It is heavier at 22.5 pounds but it does handle a little better.
    I would not say that this frame is flexible but rather it loads and unloads well. I can push it hard into a corner and get a little loading action and then when I exit it unloads and transfers that energy back to forward momentum. I love this frame and how it rides!

No known cure
    I've heard of KGB Cycles. I passed someone on one during the last mile of the race at Snow summit in Big Bear. He passed me early on and I had been reeling him in. This was the mid to late 90's and I was on a 95 Diamondback AxisTT Ti frame with a mirror polish.

After the race I was checking out his bike and was told the splotches were smoke from the torch under the clear coat. His looked just like the OPs except in yellow with a bare rear end
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

mtbr member
    Carver Gnarvester 29+ SS belt.

Titanium single speeds?-cg1.jpg

mtbr member
    Custom Hettly Ti - Australian brand. Climbs like a goat, thanks to 142x12 rear axle and hydroformed tubes, and descends buttery smooth. I love my Kona Unit, but this is hands down the better riding bike.

Titanium single speeds?-20160617_122538.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Here's my Litespeed Cohutta running a 38T : 19T which I'm finding tad tiresome but looking at lowering gear ratio to 34T vs 19T soon

Oh excuse plastic green pedals. Hope f20 orange ones now fitted.

It's a dream to ride even better than the Merlin xlm and possibly the modern obed I had and definitely better handling than the twitchy Whyte 19 to trail I owned too.

After viewing these pics, I only ask of you that you clean up your mess before your pc shorts! Haha!

See my album for 2 pics of her!
    Cannot for some reason upload pics here unless they're pending.
    Riding bikes means life behind bars, except no TV :-d

I Tried Them ALL... SuperModerator
    I'm DROOLING here guys! Awesome ti SS.....
    "This is a male-dominated forum... there will be lots of Testosterone sword-shaming here" ~ Kenfucius

The perfessor
    I sort of felt Ti was the best option out there......marry it to carbon parts and you build a great bike.........as for me, my weighs in at 21 lbs. but wheels are being replaced and newer carbon parts added......
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Titanium single speeds?-2015-ss-build-resize.jpg  

Rigid 29er Ti SS / 29er SC Tallboy AL

mtbr member
    Titanium single speeds?-dscf0706.jpg

I love Fiona - shreds like a beast
    Age is a state of mind

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    KGB has to be the baddest name a Russian bike could have, kudos!
    Some great bikes in here, especially the vulture and ragley make me drool...

Recently I fulfilled a dream and bought a lynskey ridge line 26ss, it is to be my bike for life and I hope to get at least 40 years of joy out of it I'm building it up slowly, getting lightish parts whenever they go on sale.. My next big spend will be a Ti fork, does anyone know any manufacturers they can recommend? So far I've only found kocmo and torus to make 450mm forks. (Sorry to hijack the thread a little but couldn't find a better place to post.. Promise to make it up with lots of pictures once I get a fork!)

Thanks guys
    Last edited by whombom; 08-05-2016 at 06:50 PM. Reason: Spelling..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vudu View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen shot 2014-07-16 at 9.39.55 PM.jpg 
Views:	212 
Size:	95.9 KB 
ID:	908696
    BadaSS background teamdicky

Name:	DSC03315.jpg 
Views:	540 
Size:	129.1 KB 
ID:	908697
    Can't paSS up the chance to post mine again!!
    even higher level of badass background.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    the rear triangle on a mosaic mt-1 (from boulder) has this vertical piece right by the drop out that i swear makes it extra crazy stiff

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Titanium single speeds?-bike.jpg

Build it as a dual purpose bike, with it's main intended purpose being a fixed gear commuter. (I have a 6 bolt IS cog for the rear a bigger chainring and some big slicks)
    But I'm about to build a dedicated steel fixed commuter with racks & fenders.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I'm in the plan/design phase with SEVEN for a new single speed. I've had Ti but my Sir9 rides better. Before I choose between the Sola steel or Sola SLX, I just thought I'd ask. For the record this will NOT be a weight weenie build. I have my single speed specific hub from Hadley laced to DT's XM481 rims. I have a set of SS wheels on my Sir9 laced to Velocity Blunt 35's that I'm switching to wider i35 rim with i40 in front. Thompson seat post and stem, of course. I might put the Ti bar,I'll have and ENVE fork.
    Last edited by hardmtnbiker; 08-18-2016 at 07:01 AM.
    [COLOR="Black"]HARDMTNBIKER on Instagram

Seven Sola SLX ENVE MTN SS
    Sir9 Carbon Niner SS
    #1gearallyear #Iridemtn

mtbr member
    Here's my Kona Raijin I've put about 2,000 miles on it but don't ride it nearly as much as I used to.

This has been, and is still, an excellent bike.

SPP
    Rigid.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Having had both steel an Ti single speeds I agree it's all about quality. Many $1000 True Temper XO or Reynolds 853 steel frames will ride better that straight gauge Ti frames for 2K.
    Quote Originally Posted by mattkock View Post
    The new Optimus Ti is WAY stiffer than the one that I had. You can get a custom Ti frame built up as stiff as you want but it will cost you a pretty penny.

That being said, I WILL have another Ti SS soon. Nothing beats the ride quality of Ti, except maybe a really nice Steel frame.
    [COLOR="Black"]HARDMTNBIKER on Instagram

Seven Sola SLX ENVE MTN SS
    Sir9 Carbon Niner SS
    #1gearallyear #Iridemtn

mtbr member

We the people ...

Titanium single speeds?-110.jpg
    the BB mounted one?
    Aww, member when you replied to a tread two years ago?...clearly I didn't

mtbr member

We the people ...

Name:	110.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	115.4 KB 
ID:	1102295
    the BB mounted one?
    Aww, member when you replied to a thread two years ago?...clearly I didn't

mtbr member
    Vintage ti, Mountain Cycle Carbon fork, White Industries Dos Eno, Magura Marta front, V rear, ...

This is my dream bike. I know it's not the boost 26+ thing with modern geometry that I have in my mind. But it is a bike that I have and know.

Right now it is idle. It waits for spring.

mtbr member

Here it was. I had another photo posted but Photobucket showed a kitty.

mtbr member

AKA Pat McGroin
    Mar 2008
    I recently built myself a Chumba Stella Ti rigid with a carbon fork. First ride and I was pretty disappointed that it was so harsh! Ran a Conti Race King 2.2 on the back, tubeless at 24 lb, RR 2.35 @ 19 front. For comparison, own an On One inbred SS that rides well with the exact same fork, wheels and tires. I would say the Stealla Ti rides as stiff as many carbon hardtails I've owned. Put a 2.35 Ikon on the back to tame it a bit, now it rides smooth!
    In the last 6 years or so, since I discovered how awesome singlespeeds are, I've owned a Monocog, MC Flite, Surly 1x1 (27.5 build), then the rare Monocog Aluminum 29 so, I had a few bikes to compare to, and this was my impression. Stella was as stiff riding as th MC Aluminum, but oddly, not as rapid accelerating...l wonder if the sliding dropiuts slowed it down? The MC Flite had sliders too and that one felt a bit slower out of the saddle too.
    Just my personal impression.

that guy
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Blue Sky View Post
    I recently built myself a Chumba Stella Ti rigid with a carbon fork. First ride and I was pretty disappointed that it was so harsh! Ran a Conti Race King 2.2 on the back, tubeless at 24 lb, RR 2.35 @ 19 front. For comparison, own an On One inbred SS that rides well with the exact same fork, wheels and tires. I would say the Stealla Ti rides as stiff as many carbon hardtails I've owned. Put a 2.35 Ikon on the back to tame it a bit, now it rides smooth!
    In the last 6 years or so, since I discovered how awesome singlespeeds are, I've owned a Monocog, MC Flite, Surly 1x1 (27.5 build), then the rare Monocog Aluminum 29 so, I had a few bikes to compare to, and this was my impression. Stella was as stiff riding as th MC Aluminum, but oddly, not as rapid accelerating...l wonder if the sliding dropiuts slowed it down? The MC Flite had sliders too and that one felt a bit slower out of the saddle too.
    Just my personal impression.
    How/why would sliders slow a bike down? Genuinely curious.

PHS
    Rider
    Sep 2009
    Ridgeline
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Titanium single speeds?-img_1650.jpg  

AKA Pat McGroin
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by paleh0rse View Post
    How/why would sliders slow a bike down? Genuinely curious.
    Maybe the sliders being bolted onto the frame and then e wheel attached to them allows a very small amt. of flex? I could only feel this when trying to climb or accelerate from a near stop under all the power I could throw into the bike. Had 2 with sliders in the last couple of years, the first a Monocog Flite and I swear the regular Monocog that I replaced it with was quicker! I actually switched back to the heavier Monocog frame based on this.... So when I got my new ti frame, I told myself this frame is definitely going to be quicker than my cheap steel frame with horizontal dropout track ends..... sadly, I found myself trying harder on every ride to stay on the wheel of my regular riding buddies! We ride every winter at Rays Mtn. Bike park in Cleveland. Usually well over 500 miles per season on the XC loop, with lots to of optional lines. It's like follow the leader, and there aren't any long straights there, just lots of tight turns and some short steep climbs and straight sections. Anyhoo, you can really push yourself , my buds ride gears, so if the bike is holding me back, or I have to work harder, I know it.
    Geez I hope I don't sound like some kind of know it all or whatever, just being honest with what I perceived.

that guy
    Jun 2011
    Nobody can deny your perceptions, I promise!

I've personally never used a frame with sliders, which is why I asked. I'd definitely love to gather more data on this to see if there's any merit to the idea that the sliders themselves are causing some form of drag.

That said, I'm sorry to hear your Ti bike isn't living up to expectations. That's always a buzz kill!

eri
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by paleh0rse View Post
    Nobody can deny your perceptions, I promise!

I've personally never used a frame with sliders, which is why I asked. I'd definitely love to gather more data on this to see if there's any merit to the idea that the sliders themselves are causing some form of drag.

That said, I'm sorry to hear your Ti bike isn't living up to expectations. That's always a buzz kill!
    On the one hand placebo effect is real. Remember all the pro road racers that thought their steel frames were wearing out after a season?

On the other hand there a frames that I really don't like and others that sing.

Engineering-wise a bolted joint should be a least as stiff as a solid one. My raijin has bolted sliders and feels very stiff.

If you're perceiving flex please look a little further before blaming a bolted joint. It is totally possible the frame is flexy but while depressing its really unlikely that alone is making you measurably slower. Tire pressure and chain lube are much more important.

Wheel? Hub? Tire? Bottom bracket? Chain/cog/chainring interaction?

Despite having opinions us humans aren't very sensitive compared to science. If bike feels and is actually slow you should be able to measure some empirical difference.
    the truth is always a gift because it offers the recipient of that information the chance to change the outcome - Grace Choi

EXORCIZE
    you must be a slider fanboi cuz 'dem sliders be causing some mad drag!
    2017 Diamondback Haanjo
    2016 Pivot 429T
    2011 Kona Unit

mtbr member
    Does anyone have an opinion about the tensioning apparatus of the Voodoo Wanga?

My wife has one I made for her SS some years back now. She rides it and likes it a lot, but I hope the frame is not holding her back.

mtbr member

Yeah it's steel, and this a thread about Ti bikes, but thread drift made me curious, sorry.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

eri
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryder1 View Post
    I'm totally a slider fanb0y.

And here's my ti ss content to prove it:

Titanium single speeds?-2016_file2_small.jpg

Happy new year and may your voyaging not be disrupted by sliders!
    the truth is always a gift because it offers the recipient of that information the chance to change the outcome - Grace Choi

meh... whatever
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Blue Sky View Post
    I wonder if the sliding dropiuts slowed it down?
    no, they weren't.

meh... whatever
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryder1 View Post
    sliders cause drag?

certainly you jest.

eri
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by monogod View Post
    sliders cause drag?

certainly you jest.
    Achem... his name is 'shirley'

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    Titanium single speeds?-rif.jpg

finished lacing the wheels to my 26" ridgeline tonight!

with a kocmo titanium fork,
    aluminium FSA afterburner handlebars, seatpost, stem and crankset,
    spank oozy rims laced to a DT240s front and hope pro4 SS rear

it should weigh in around 8.5kg (18.5 pounds) now, although that would increase a little with offroad tyres...

However, for now it is my roadbike which judging from the ease at which the thing whizzes up to 40km/h (25mph) should absolutely rock at! I'm happy!

slower than you
    2003 Chester Mutinyman 29

Titanium single speeds?-chester_mutinyman.jpg
    "May your trails be winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view." - Ed Abbey
    http://rockychrysler.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast