mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Tired of adjusting need advice

Hey guys. Ive got a 1998 Cannondale F500 (8speed). Im lookin to convert it to a single speed or buy all new 9 speed components but damn thats alot of money My front and rear derailer are all worn out and im tired of adjusting things. Im ready to buy new stuff for my bike. The only thing is, is there any possible way of converting to a single speed without using one of those tensioners that mount to your rear derailer? I just hate the look of it. Can i use a half link in the chain to get more tension or is that a bad idea??? I would like to just go from crank to cog but i know it may not be possible with vertical drop outs. I could use some opinions please. Thanks
    Brian

one chain loop
    eccentric is the way to go. either an eccentric bb like trickstuff excentriker, forward components or an eccentric hub like white industries eno. you can also save money with a diy eccentric axle. half link is not really necessary.
    Last edited by fishcreek; 03-11-2009 at 07:22 AM.
    everything sucks but my vacuum cleaner.

Wrench-O-Phile
    I have had good luck in the past mixing new and old chain together. I have done a couple different bikes this way. Just want to make sure they are from the same manufacturer.

You'd be surprised how much you can change a chains length by going this route. It takes some experimentation and you really can't change gear ratios without starting all over... but it will work with a non-adjustable dropout situation.

Just don't use an extremely worn chain or you may have slippage problems.
    Just keep pedaling...

visit the sticki chronicles

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Where can i buy that EBB? The trickstuff one... Ive heard EBBs make alot of noise, is this true? And will it work in my frame? I have a square end style BB. Your typical shimano one

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    You could magic gear it-there are tons of threads about it in these pages. Half linking can help. But it's a little bit of a PITA...soon as the chain stretches even a little, you've no choice but to replace it. So don't rule out tensioners...they are your friend, if you're converting a vertical drop out frame. I'd rather dink with these than an eccentric. I've got an 'old style' push up Surly Singleator that is so small, you hardly know it's there. I mean...it doesn't stick way out, and pull your eye to it the way a lot do. With this, an old Surly 1x1 hub, and two Eno freewheels, I've got my choice of 2 gears. But if you're using your old cassette, I'd just put some spacers and a cog in there. Long as you've got a straight chainline, it'll rock for you. Do it. You won't go back.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    You know i just noticed today that the Surly tensionor can push up or down. Didnt know that. Now when you change the spring to do either way, is it a new spring or just flip the spring over??? I converted my bike to a SS awhile back but just got the budget Forte' (store brand SS kit from Performance Bike) and i loved the SS but it made noise and kept skipping everytime i put torque on the crank. Im convinced that its just a POS tension they have. Im considering the Surly Singleator. I got away from SS because the chain kept skippping. Im hopeing the Surly is a better product and will solve that problem. Now also how do i know if a External bottom bracket will work with my frame? Im lookin into buyin the race face SS crank and it comes with the BB. My bike right now uses the typical Shimano square end Bottom bracket and not sure if the External will fit

one chain loop
    Quote Originally Posted by lostsurf1981
    My bike right now uses the typical Shimano square end Bottom bracket and not sure if the External will fit
    as long as your new cranks are for 68/73mm shell, you are good. if its for 83mm, well you know the drill.

edited:
    not totally screwed if you ever bought the wrong bb shell width, raceface has its own bb adapter so you can use 83mm to your 68/73mm shell.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I have a dumb question Is there anything else i will need to mount external BB to the frame or crank? Looks open inside the BB i dont know how they work? And what does the Crank arms bolt to? Im new to all these new fancy stuff lol but im goin SS thats for darn sure

mtbr member
    Hey guys. Ive got a 1998 Cannondale F500 (8speed). Im lookin to convert it to a single speed or buy all new 9 speed components but damn thats alot of money My front and rear derailer are all worn out and im tired of adjusting things. Im ready to buy new stuff for my bike. The only thing is, is there any possible way of converting to a single speed without using one of those tensioners that mount to your rear derailer? I just hate the look of it. Can i use a half link in the chain to get more tension or is that a bad idea??? I would like to just go from crank to cog but i know it may not be possible with vertical drop outs. I could use some opinions please. Thanks
    Brian
    White Industries Eccentric Hub is the solution to all things SS.

one chain loop
    I have a dumb question Is there anything else i will need to mount external BB to the frame or crank? Looks open inside the BB i dont know how they work? And what does the Crank arms bolt to? Im new to all these new fancy stuff lol but im goin SS thats for darn sure
    easy as 1-2-3-4-5, thread both bb cups, slide the non-drive side spindle (the case for rf cranks), mount the drive side, tighten the hex bolt to the recommended torque, tighten the self-extracting bolt/cap anti-clockwise to the recommended torque and ride away.

edit again:

don't forget to grease the bb threads and the spindle.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Thanks fishcreek. Now i got my crank figured out and now for the dreaded tension problem lol. Should i stick with a surly tensioner or do something else? Ive her those Eno hubs are a good way to go but thats gotta be expensive to build a whole new wheel is it possible to use that hub on my existing wheel? Ive got the Mavic Crossride UB wheels front and rear. Or do you have to build a whole new wheel? I dont mind spending money to get it right. Riding is my passion and i know SS is great but complicated to get everything just right. Sorry im askin so many questions i just wanna convert it the right way and i really appreciate everybodys help and patience

mtbr member
    If you want to use an external bearing type crankset and you already have wheels that you want to use, then I think that the Forward Components EBB converter is what you should maybe be looking at. A cheaper option than the Eno hub + cost of building a new wheel.

As far as the Surly tensioner goes, there are two different springs, one for push up and one for push down. It comes with both and you just swap them over according to how you want to set it up. Ideally you want it to push up and also have the chain as short as possible too - it won't take up much slack pushing up before it fouls the chainstay.

mtbr member
    It may be possible to notch the dropout a bit, but I don't know how much room you have there. This plus a half-link could set you up nicely.
    Ne quid nimis.
    Nothing in excess.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Singlelators come with 2 springs one for up and one for down you just have to install the spring you want.