mtbr member

Tire pressure on SS while commuting.

Got a question and hope that it is not considered dumb! I commute on my Full ridgid SS mountain bike on the average of 3 times a week to and from work and ride off road trails on the weekends. I have converted my tires with stans tubless. Commuting to work consists of all pavement. My question is, what is better tire pressure to run while commuting to work? I usually run high pressure but this morning I took the pressure down to see how the ride would be. I really did not like it with low pressure. I did not feel the cracks and potholes in the road as much and I did not ride like I usually do with the higher pressure in the tires. I know I like riding off road with the lower pressure! I only have these rims so the suggestion of changing out to smaller slick tires is kind of out of the question right now and having converting them to tubless would be a pain. Just trying to see my options and get suggetions on the pressure from maybe someone that kind of does the same thing as this on a regular basis. Thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    How wide are your tires?

I run my RR 2.4 / Weiwolf 2.55 at about 22 PSI offroad, and plusminus 50 PSI for commuting on pavement.
    Ride more!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by asphaltdude
    How wide are your tires?

I run my RR 2.4 / Weiwolf 2.55 at about 22 PSI offroad, and plusminus 50 PSI for commuting on pavement.
    I have Bontrager Revolt Super X, 26x2.2 on front and rear. I'm a light rider. About 135 lbs so while riding off road I can get away with running my tire pressure about 20 psi in the rear and about 18 in the front.

Apr 2007
    On road, 40-50psi would be good.

BTW, I've seen a lot of 29er wheel sets on my local classifieds at $100 or below. Personally, I'd pick up a set and a pair of slicks. Save the knobbies and your good wheel set for the trails. In the long run, all the extra wear and tear on your current rims might end up costing you more.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    mini73 if you're commuting you want the max pressure you can get in your tires so that there is less friction between the road and your tires, and don't worry a difference in traction as roads are a lot smoother than a mountain. Whenever i go long distances on road i pump my tires up to 60 psi which is stated as the max pressure on my tires.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the replies guys. Using higher pressure is what I was thinking. I know the more pressure the less resistance. Since I am only about 135 lbs, I am going to just get them around 30psi which should be ok for me.

Ovaries on the Outside
    I say get another wheelset with slicks or buy an old mountain bike, SS it, add some slicks and be done with it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by umarth
    I say get another wheelset with slicks or buy an old mountain bike, SS it, add some slicks and be done with it.
    I've already got another mountain bike and planning on getting a 29er soon. I think I will just stick with the higher pressure for now and maybe get another set of rims to put some slicks on some time in the future.