mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Tire to fit Niner One 9

I just built a Niner One 9. I have Geax Saguaro tires. They just barely clear the chain stays. I mean JUST barely clear. What tire would be a better fit? I'm a beginner XC racer. I've been racing my geared 29er on some muddy courses. The Geax tires on my SS wouldn't have worked in the mud.

wawe member
    Quote Originally Posted by davgus
    I just built a Niner One 9. I have Geax Saguaro tires. They just barely clear the chain stays. I mean JUST barely clear. What tire would be a better fit? I'm a beginner XC racer. I've been racing my geared 29er on some muddy courses. The Geax tires on my SS wouldn't have worked in the mud.
    Does your frame have a bent downtube like this: (new style)

or is it straight with a gusset underneath at the headtube (original style)?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Straight with gusset.

i don't give a shift
    Quote Originally Posted by davgus
    Straight with gusset.
    That's the old frame. Check the Niner forum, there are a few threads about tire clearance. With the frame you have you're somewhat limited in the tires you can run.
    blogging @29in.CH

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Swapped

I just swapped tires with my geared 29er. Now each bike has a Moto Raptor on the rear and a Saguaro on the front. I think it's an improvement for both. The Raptor is significantly narrower than the Saguaro.

Members who have read this thread: 0