I like to ride bikes!

New question here. Tire choice for 24hr of old P.....

Anyone got any input? Should I use anything special to prevent flats?

Out There
    Jan 2004
    Slime. Lots of nasties out there. The weight gain is worth the time saved from fixing flats.

Last year, I ran Slime in all tires and did not have to change. But I had to pump each tire up every so often. Afterward, I found several Slime patches in both tires on both bikes.

For tires, I ran Ritchey semi-slicks on both the mountain and cross bike. It's a very fast, non-technical course.

It's a blast. Have fun.

Fight the Kakistocracy!

tires

Quote Originally Posted by scoutdog
    Scoutdog, you can use semislocks if you want. The thing to remember is that as it gets sandier and dustier on the course, you'll have to check your speed even more. I run large volume knobbie tires, saves me time from pinch flats. Slime is a good choice. I will try out the course on Sunday, I live in Tucson, and will try to give you a better idea.

veelz
    veelz

Gravity, not just a good idea, it's a law.
    The only one consistently and constantly applied, no exceptions.

If you have to ask...

Slime? Why would you want that?

Last year nobody on my team ran slimed tubes, and none of us got flats. As long as you don't ride off into the cactus gardens I see no reason to worry about it.

As for tires, they don't need to be overly knobby, but wide could be good. Last year I ran 2.0 Geax Sedonas, and I was very pleased, but the rain right before the race really firmed things up. This year I am planning on the 2.0 Sedonas again, but I'm bringing some 2.25s as a possible option if it is loose.

miles

mtbr member

Absolutely

I run Panaracer Fire. Perfect tire for the course.

But yes, use slime. There is one section you ride through a Cholla forest, and lost of cacti on the course.

mtbr member

Ever hear the saying

better to be safe than sorry? I don't want to say you were lucky, but the chance of getting a flat on that course is higher than the norm, specifically because of all the cactus.

I think it's worth the added weight. I got a flat--with slime--two years ago at 3 a.m. Nothing sucks more than changing a tire at 3 a.m.

I am Doctor Remulak
    Quote Originally Posted by scoutdog
    I'm going down to ride the course tomorrow and I'll be running 2.25 Mutano's. I'll report my experience with them.

If you have to ask...

20 laps of luck? Hmm...

[QUOTE=skinny-tire]better to be safe than sorry? I don't want to say you were lucky, but the chance of getting a flat on that course is higher than the norm, specifically because of all the cactus.

I agree, a flat tire at three in the morning would suck. Still, I can't see running slime. Maybe I'll change my tune, but for now, slimed tubes aren't on my agenda.

miles

Its only 1" on the map!
    Quote Originally Posted by miles
    Last year nobody on my team ran slimed tubes, and none of us got flats. As long as you don't ride off into the cactus gardens I see no reason to worry about it.

As for tires, they don't need to be overly knobby, but wide could be good. Last year I ran 2.0 Geax Sedonas, and I was very pleased, but the rain right before the race really firmed things up. This year I am planning on the 2.0 Sedonas again, but I'm bringing some 2.25s as a possible option if it is loose.

miles
    Actually Miles, I had the Slime Lite tubes in for our race and a few months later when I started having leak issues I discovered about a dozen thorns in each tire. (Tube was actually out of Slime) Not sure if I picked them up at the Tucson race, but they certainly did the job.

On the weight weenie side of the house, I have been thinking of taking a set of Torrelli tubes and putting a little slime in them using a syringe and a patch. Would be about the same weight as a regular tube and be slimed, for cheaper than the cost of the pre-done Slime Lites.

Bill

If you have to ask...

Well, that proves my point even more...

Clearly, Slimed tubes attract thorns. It seems that everybody who ran Slime picked up thorns, and those of us who didn't, didn't.
    I had never realized this connection before- thanks for making it clear.

miles

resident crackpot

How can a 'tube' attract thorns??

Quote Originally Posted by miles
    Clearly, Slimed tubes attract thorns. It seems that everybody who ran Slime picked up thorns, and those of us who didn't, didn't.
    I had never realized this connection before- thanks for making it clear.

miles
    I don't understand that at all Miles. The tube is on the inside of the tire, which is on the outside, in physical contact with the elements. Maybe it is the fact that since Slime works so well, you just don't know how many thorns, et al, you pick up because the tire/tube just does not go flat.

Not a regular
    Jan 2004

Nano, Python...

I've ran WTB 2.1 Nanoraptors, Hutchinson 2.0 Pythons and Maxxis Larsen TT 2.0 there. All tread patterns worked great - a bit larger volume, small knobs. I've used Slime tubes and Stan's and have had zero ... not going to say the words and jinx it, but I've had zero problems with either. I'll be out there again and will probably run Pythons or Nanos.

hispanic mechanic
    i think he's kidding...

the los
    "Shut up body and do what I tell you."
    Jens Voight

http://teamjva.com/jens-voigt-soundboard/