Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Time to upgrade the breaks. Any suggestions?

I want to replace the useless brakes that came with my Cannondale Trail 3. I paid less then $1000 for the bike so it doesn't make sense to spend $400 on brakes. I have a $250-350 budget including labor. Any suggestions?

mtbr member
    ahem... brakes

get some Avid BB7s. get a larger rotor in the front if you can. get a pair of Speed Dial 7 levers too

if you want to go hydro, get some Shimano SLX. Deore brakes are good too and cost a little less than SLX.

mtbr member
    Labor? Get some BB7's with SD7 levers, install them yourself (it's easy), and save the $$ for something else. Just my $0.02...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bkirby10 View Post
    Labor? Get some BB7's with SD7 levers, install them yourself (it's easy), and save the $$ for something else. Just my $0.02...
    This. Brakes are super easy to install. Especially mechanical. Do yourself a favor though and spring the extra cash for compressionless housing. I'm using Jagwire Ripcord and it seems to work quite well.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012

Time to upgrade the breaks. Any suggestions?

My average ride has about 150' of vert per mile, no need for larger rotors. I'm running 160s front and rear. Oh and I am a Clydesdale, so take rotor advice with a grain of salt. If I was riding miles of downhill it might be a different story.
    Ben - Clydesdale - Type II Diabetic - 6'7", ~278lbs in 09/2011 - A1C 9.4%, ~228lbs in 07/2012 - A1C 5.6%, ~240lbs in 05/2013

HTFU!
    Nashbar has the new Shimano XT's on sale for $112 ea. I picked some up and installed them (including shortening the lines) myself and they are all that and a side of fries. I have some BB7's on my back up bike (though I might switch over the Elixirs I just removed). The BB7's work well and I have used them on a couple bikes over the years. They are easy to install, adjust and maintain but they are NOT giving you the effortless stopping power of XT's (or SLX for that matter).
    Regardless, good luck. Any of the suggestions above (and those yet to come) will be better than the Tektro crap that the bike surely came with.

nothing to see here
    SLX will do. Get the Icetech rotors. Same power as XT, but without the useless pad contact adjustment. I have XT and have never used the pad contact adjustment. These **** all over BB7s.
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

dvn
    mtbr member
    I agree with all the BB7 suggestions. I have them on 2 bikes. BB7's with SD7 levers and Jagwire housings = a nice set-up. Trouble free and super adjustable.

mtbr member
    BB7's. Cheap, reliable, solid performance. It's exactly what you want on a SS.

mtbr member
    BB7, Jagwire, SD7 here as well.

Check out these links. I have them on my bookmark, and I just skim them through from time to time when I feel like doing some maintenance on my brakes (note "when I feel like" because they are low maintenance and I don't really have to do anything for 2-3 years at a time).

Avid BB7 mini resource - How to set up the Avid BB7

Park Tool Co. » ParkTool Blog » Avid® Mechanical Disc Adjustment

Tech Tuesday - Avid BB7 Cable Disk Brake Setup - Pinkbike
    Ghisallo Wheels

I'm really good looking.

mtbr member
    Get some SLX. Keep the old brakes. When you decide to upgrade your bike, out the old brakes back on and keep your SLX.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I've ridden those Shimano mech discs. They're not that bad. I have BB7's on one of my bikes, but if I had those, I don't think I would switch to BB7's. Personally, there are other things on that bike I'd rather put money towards. Wheels, for instance.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cotharyus View Post
    BB7's. Cheap, reliable, solid performance. It's exactly what you want on a SS.

^^^^Yup^^^^
    www.getbusylivin.org

Redline Monocog Flight 29er
    Specialized Rockhopper 26er

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    So if I get the BB7s, do I have to change my rotors? The bike has a small rotor up front and a larger one in the back.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Evan Lloyd View Post
    So if I get the BB7s, do I have to change my rotors? The bike has a small rotor up front and a larger one in the back.
    I think that you can get the appropriate adapter for the rotor size and away you go. Also, put the big rotor up front. I'm in the bb7 camp as well btw. I have them on a couple rides as I think they are the best mech disc caliper one can get. The best feature for me is the ability to adjust the inner and outer pads. No problems. Happy rollin!
    No fuss with the MUSS

mtbr member
    Check your rotors and see if they say the size of the rotors. Then you can just get the adopters for them.

But I think BB7's come with rotors. I run 185mm front and 160mm rear.

Avid BB7 Mechanical Disc Brake 180mm '11 > Components > Brakes > Disc Brakes | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

Check your bike manual and see if the frame can take 180mm rotor in the rear - some frames don't. If it does, then get them.
    Ghisallo Wheels

I'm really good looking.

SSolo
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by dbhammercycle View Post
    ......you can get the appropriate adapter for the rotor size and away you go. Also, put the big rotor up front. I'm in the bb7 camp as well btw. I have them on a couple rides as I think they are the best mech disc caliper one can get. The best feature for me is the ability to adjust the inner and outer pads. No problems. Happy rollin!
    This or if you want hydros, go with the Shimano XT or SLX from Nashbar. I'm currently running bb7s on my SS, they were my backup spare brake set for when my hydros need service/warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    ahem... brakes

get some Avid BB7s. get a larger rotor in the front if you can. get a pair of Speed Dial 7 levers too

if you want to go hydro, get some Shimano SLX. Deore brakes are good too and cost a little less than SLX.

Good info.
    Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life son...

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Okay, my LBS has the BB7s in stock. My question is, if I buy them, is the install pretty simple? Do I need to use new cables or can I use the ones already on my bike? I've never done any break maintenance, so I am as green as it gets. I do have a good book on bicycle repair that can probably get me through it. I guess I just want to know if its worth the $50 and 3 days without my bike, to have the LBS install them?

Thanks

Developing Skillz

Shimano Deore

I cannot say anything about BB7s except that they felt allright on the little loop I did with Unit that had them stock.

But the mechanical brakes that I had on my bike stock where a PITA.

I bought Shimano Deore hydraulics and couldn't be happier. They really have stopping power even with my dog-trailer. The best part is they don't break the bank. (Where actually cheaper than BB7) and my LBS gave me the knowledge to install and adjust the brakes. Theres really nice pdf on the internet to shorten the hoses without bleeding.
    http://api.viglink.com/api/click?for...13708957631446

I also did some search on the internet and some say they're as good as SLX! Cheaper hydraulic brakes are also the most reliable for being simple.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I agree on the SLX or XTs. There really is nothing on the market that can match them when it comes to value, and their performance is stellar! I prefer Hope brakes overall, but they can't come close SLX or XT (cheaper than XTR though) for price/value.

mtbr member
    What he said. BB7's are super easy to install and super easy to tweak; you can actually adjust each pad/side independently. BB7's can be had for under $100 and SD7's for like $20. Should not cost you more than $125ish.
    It's not how old I am, it's how old I feel - Minor Threat

mtbr member
    This. Installation is easy and pad adjustment is something you should know. The one thing the shop will most likely do that you won't is true the rotors if needed. One thing you could do is see if you can set up an appt for the drop off, that way you can ride until the drop off time. The bike will most likely sit at the shop for the majority of the time it's there for the 3 days. It's never a bad thing to know how to make small adjustments to the ride.
    No fuss with the MUSS

SSolo
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by KK89 View Post
    I cannot say anything about BB7s except that they felt allright on the little loop I did with Unit that had them stock.

But the mechanical brakes that I had on my bike stock where a PITA.

I bought Shimano Deore hydraulics and couldn't be happier. They really have stopping power even with my dog-trailer. The best part is they don't break the bank. (Where actually cheaper than BB7) and my LBS gave me the knowledge to install and adjust the brakes. Theres really nice pdf on the internet to shorten the hoses without bleeding.
    http://api.viglink.com/api/click?for...13708957631446

I also did some search on the internet and some say they're as good as SLX! Cheaper hydraulic brakes are also the most reliable for being simple.
    BB7s are the best mechanical disk brakes. I've had several SRAM hydro setups and while cheaper than Shimano they are a pita to bleed.

Nice little SHimano hose shortening sheet.

SSolo
    Apr 2008
    Okay, my LBS has the BB7s in stock. My question is, if I buy them, is the install pretty simple? Do I need to use new cables or can I use the ones already on my bike? I've never done any break maintenance, so I am as green as it gets. I do have a good book on bicycle repair that can probably get me through it. I guess I just want to know if its worth the $50 and 3 days without my bike, to have the LBS install them?

Thanks
    Here's how to do it with SRAM video, they have good youtube vids from mfr for this.

How to install Avid BB7 disc brakes

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Thanks guys. This is great information. I really appreciate it. My LBS has the brakes in stock. I'l going to buy them and install them myself.

Thanks again.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast