mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Ti SS Frame with Rear Cush and Solid Stays

Anyone making Ti frames with the rear suspension and solid chain stays any more? I've seen some from Dean. Can these run a SS set up with no tensioner? Since the chain stay distance doesnt change during its movement it should stay consistant in length for a single speed set up. Just thought of a little cush for my tush if running a SS HT.

Mojo

mtbr member
    This is MY opinion: unless you ride relatively flat trails, you won't be spending a lot of time sitting down while pedaling pushing major power. I was looking for a softail initially, but decided to go with a Ti hardtail, with a suspension seatpost. I've tried the old RockShox, both Thudbusters, Nitro...something and U.S.E. So far, the RockShox (I paid $7 for a used one...) and the USE have been good for me. But again, I don't spend much time sitting on my SS.

This is what applies to me. Your experience might differ!

Enjoy your SS

Johnnydrz

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnnydrz
    This is MY opinion: unless you ride relatively flat trails, you won't be spending a lot of time sitting down while pedaling pushing major power. I was looking for a softail initially, but decided to go with a Ti hardtail, with a suspension seatpost. I've tried the old RockShox, both Thudbusters, Nitro...something and U.S.E. So far, the RockShox (I paid $7 for a used one...) and the USE have been good for me. But again, I don't spend much time sitting on my SS.

This is what applies to me. Your experience might differ!

Enjoy your SS

Johnnydrz
    Thanks for the advice, your are probably right. Why do you like the Rox shox better than the thudbuster?

Mojo

mtbr member
    Maybe the Salsa Dos Niner?

http://salsacycles.com/bikes/dos_niner/

Not Ti, but close?
    My motorcycle runs on infant blood

mtbr member
    I enjoyed the Thudbuster a lot, but I felt it was more springy, if I wasn't careful, it could sometimes feel like a springboard. The reason I'm not using the Thudbuster anymore is also because I sold it to a friend a while back... My legs would also touch it sometimes and that bugged me. Otherwise, it is a very good post.

Johnnydrz

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Mojo Man
    Anyone making Ti frames with the rear suspension and solid chain stays any more? I've seen some from Dean. Can these run a SS set up with no tensioner? Since the chain stay distance doesnt change during its movement it should stay consistant in length for a single speed set up. Just thought of a little cush for my tush if running a SS HT.
    Why Ti? For full suspension aluminum is a better material to use, since you don't need the compliance of titanium.

If you're ok with used, a Schwinn Sweetspot builds up into a nice SS xc ride. If you want knew, check out this:
    http://www.castellanodesigns.com/

Dawgwalker
    Apr 2006

Ti with cush

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnydrz
    I enjoyed the Thudbuster a lot, but I felt it was more springy, if I wasn't careful, it could sometimes feel like a springboard. The reason I'm not using the Thudbuster anymore is also because I sold it to a friend a while back... My legs would also touch it sometimes and that bugged me. Otherwise, it is a very good post.

Johnnydrz
    Were you using the LT or ST?

I hate the look but the ST I sometimes run takes some edge off especially when you can sit.
    2011 Vassago Jabberwocky
    2008 Turner Sultan
    2007 Dean Colonel 29r SS
    2003 Titus Switchblade 650b
    1995 Litespeed Obed

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bad mechanic
    Why Ti? For full suspension aluminum is a better material to use, since you don't need the compliance of titanium.

If you're ok with used, a Schwinn Sweetspot builds up into a nice SS xc ride. If you want knew, check out this:
    http://www.castellanodesigns.com/
    he's talking about softtails or quasi softtails in which case the properties of titanium make it very useful. Aluminum just doesn't hold up under the same application.

Siren makes very nice softtails out of aluminum but using a replaceable titanium plate to do the actual flexing. Best of both worlds imho. They offer a version with sliding SS dropouts.

mtbr member
    I really dig the ST on my moncog 29er. I didn't get the LT because I thought it would be too springy

mtbr member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnnydrz

Johnnydrz

Were you using the LT or ST?

I hate the look but the ST I sometimes run takes some edge off especially when you can sit.

Actually, I am using the ST on my singlespeed road bike. It really takes the edge off on bad roads (plenty of that around here...). On my mtb, I had the LT. I had the very first version of it, before I ever tried a double-suspension bike. I honestly think it is still a very good option if you want to stick to a hardtail. Lot's of travel, just need to learn how to "weigh" the seat properly in certain situations, so you don't bounce off.

Yes, they do change the distance and angle set-up when you ride, but after years of using them, I think I will always have one (suspension seatpost, any model) on one of my bikes.

Johnnydrz

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by boomn
    he's talking about softtails or quasi softtails in which case the properties of titanium make it very useful. Aluminum just doesn't hold up under the same application.

Siren makes very nice softtails out of aluminum but using a replaceable titanium plate to do the actual flexing. Best of both worlds imho. They offer a version with sliding SS dropouts.
    Very interesting, a bit expensive though

Mojo

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mojo Man
    Very interesting, a bit expensive though

Mojo
    I wasn't sure of your budget, but it's about $700 cheaper than the Dean you asked about so I thought that was actually quite good. Soft-tails are generally pricey these days, and anything in Ti is going to be $$$$

mtbr member
    You can always look for an old carbon Trek Y bike...kind of like I am doing.

mtbr member
    There are a couple of builders that make them, but they are big money for a Ti softtail.

Black Sheep, Moots, Funk