Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 30

Thread: Ti SS Frame?

  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    874

    Ti SS Frame?

    Who makes a nice SS 29 Ti frame with adjustable dropouts? I don't want Eccentric BB's.

    I was looking at the Ridgeline but what to consider others as well.

    Mojo

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    471
    Voodoo Zaka

    Dean Colonel

    Titus Fireline

  3. #3
    metrotuned WoS
    Reputation: illnacord's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    1,710
    youre looking for either track ends or paragon sliders. all modern ti ss frames should have paragon machine works ti sliders which allow for both single speed and gears.
    #willofthesun and author of the most viewed MTBR thread: Platform Pedal Shootout

  4. #4
    30-ton War Machine
    Reputation: edgerat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    793
    Eriksen, DeSalvo, Black Sheep, Moots, Quiring and so on

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Climber999's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    720
    If you are looking for off-the-shelf frame add to your list:

    Salsa Selma Ti
    Regley TD-1 (design for rigid fork)

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    874
    I guess if it were based on price the Ridgeline and Voodoo are the most attractive. Not sure if the Titus is worth the extra 800 bucks, looks sweet though. As for the others, nice frames, but 3000 plus is out of my budget.


    Any opinions?


    Mojo

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Climber999's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    720
    Quote Originally Posted by Mojo Man
    I guess if it were based on price the Ridgeline and Voodoo are the most attractive. Not sure if the Titus is worth the extra 800 bucks, looks sweet though. As for the others, nice frames, but 3000 plus is out of my budget.


    Any opinions?


    Mojo
    Again, take a look at the Salsa Selma Ti. It's the same price as Ridgeline and equipped with very cool sliders.

    Do you ride rigid? Take a look at Ragley TD-1. You can get it for around $1,600. For rigid it's probably the best option out there. Lynskey makes it and it comes with sliders.
    Last edited by Climber999; 10-14-2010 at 11:17 AM.

  8. #8
    30-ton War Machine
    Reputation: edgerat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    793
    Quote Originally Posted by Mojo Man
    I guess if it were based on price the Ridgeline and Voodoo are the most attractive. Not sure if the Titus is worth the extra 800 bucks, looks sweet though. As for the others, nice frames, but 3000 plus is out of my budget.


    Any opinions?


    Mojo
    DeSalvo ti SS is 2500, failing that either Lynskey or Salsa Selma Ti.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Climber999's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    720
    Quote Originally Posted by edgerat
    DeSalvo ti SS is 2500, failing that either Lynskey or Salsa Selma Ti.
    if you are looking for economical custom-built Quiring is a better deal than DeSalvo. $2,350, sliders included with custom geometry and any cool artwork you have in mind.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    15
    take a look at Mosaic Cycles...i love my Ti SS they built! www.mosaiccycles.com

  11. #11
    30-ton War Machine
    Reputation: edgerat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    793
    Quote Originally Posted by Climber999
    if you are looking for economical custom-built Quiring is a better deal than DeSalvo. $2,350, sliders included with custom geometry and any cool artwork you have in mind.
    Value is in the eye of the beholder. 150 dollars is a drop in the bucket when talking about this much money. I am not looking to pinch pennies on a custom ti bike.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Climber999's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    720
    Quote Originally Posted by edgerat
    Value is in the eye of the beholder. 150 dollars is a drop in the bucket when talking about this much money. I am not looking to pinch pennies on a custom ti bike.
    Well, you may not look to pinch pennies, but you definitely come across hostile.
    My intent is merely to offer advice not pick a fight.

    Correction on the $150: a custom DeSalvo is $2,600. I suspect he'll charge you $250 or more for Paragon sliders (correct me if I'm mistaken). Thus, the difference is $500...a wee more hefty...

    I don't think Scott Quiring is any less better than DeSalvo.
    Last edited by Climber999; 10-11-2010 at 04:09 AM.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    67
    If you want Ti, the Ridgeline is really hard to beat. They are beautifully made and ride great. The Salsa Ti bikes look nice as well. They are made by Lynskey, but to Salsa geometry specs. Carver makes a reasonably priced Ti in many configurations. Search for opinions on this. I have never seen one.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    874
    Quote Originally Posted by TerryD
    If you want Ti, the Ridgeline is really hard to beat. They are beautifully made and ride great. The Salsa Ti bikes look nice as well. They are made by Lynskey, but to Salsa geometry specs. Carver makes a reasonably priced Ti in many configurations. Search for opinions on this. I have never seen one.
    Wow, Lynskey is making the Salsa Ti? For about the same price as the Ridgeline? I thought for sure it was made in Tiawan

    Mojo

  15. #15
    metrotuned WoS
    Reputation: illnacord's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    1,710

    New question here. For the Love of sex welds on Titanium

    I'm gonna start callin' out for photos of single speed titanium frames!!!

    Titanium Sex Dime Welds
    Appears to be a Dean Colonel 29er SS in the photo "Titanium Sex Dime Welds"
    #willofthesun and author of the most viewed MTBR thread: Platform Pedal Shootout

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: nspace's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    2,032
    Ragley TD-1! I love my Ragley. Lynskey made, fast handling, light, and non-suspension corrected /rigid specific design to boot.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: cbrossman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,122
    I have the Ridgeline 29 SS since late spring 2010.
    I'm happy with it, but do not have any other experience with Ti frames.
    I also have a Ventana El Ciclon currently, and have broken 2 El Salt frames over the past 6 years.
    I have not broken the Lynskey, and don't expect to. Take that for what it is worth.
    Last edited by cbrossman; 10-14-2010 at 07:50 AM.
    Craig, Durango CO
    "Lighten up PAL" ... King Cage

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    874
    Quote Originally Posted by cbrossman
    I have the Ridgeline 29 SS since late spring 2010.
    I'm happy with it, but do not have any other experience with Ti frames.
    I also have a Ventana El Ciclon currently, and have broken 2 El Salt frames over the past 6 years.
    I have not broken the Lynskey, and don't expect to. Take that for what it is worth.
    I'm leaning towards the ridgeline, good looks, american made, resonably priced.

    Mojo

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Climber999's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    720
    Quote Originally Posted by Mojo Man
    I'm leaning towards the ridgeline, good looks, american made, resonably priced.

    Mojo
    Last attempt: Selma Ti is also american made, got way nicer sliders than the Ridgeline, same price but with a nicer artwork. In general, the people in Salsa are great bike designers.
    Last edited by Climber999; 10-14-2010 at 11:49 AM.

  20. #20
    Mtbr Forum Sponsor - Homebrewed Components
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    2,421
    Quote Originally Posted by Climber999
    Last attempt: Selma Ti is also american made, got way nicer sliders than the Ridgeline, same price but with a nicer artwork. In general, the people is Salsa are great bike designers.
    yea, wasnt there a huge thread with people *****ing about the ridgeline sliders making noise?

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    67
    Quote Originally Posted by Climber999
    Last attempt: Selma Ti is also american made, got way nicer sliders than the Ridgeline, same price but with a nicer artwork. In general, the people in Salsa are great bike designers.
    Why do you say they are "way" nicer. They look more delicate with one bolt to hold it in place and an adjusting screw that stops rearward and has a protruding screw that is vulnerable. The design looks nice, but the Paragon design (used by Lynskey) is bullet proof.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    874
    Quote Originally Posted by Climber999
    Last attempt: Selma Ti is also american made, got way nicer sliders than the Ridgeline, same price but with a nicer artwork. In general, the people in Salsa are great bike designers.
    When will it be available?

    Mojo

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Climber999's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    720
    Quote Originally Posted by TerryD
    Why do you say they are "way" nicer. They look more delicate with one bolt to hold it in place and an adjusting screw that stops rearward and has a protruding screw that is vulnerable. The design looks nice, but the Paragon design (used by Lynskey) is bullet proof.
    TerryD,

    I have 2 bikes with sliders, yet I think the Black Cat style dropouts are nicer in appearance. They allow a smoother convergence between the stays. It is my personal opinion; everybody has a different taste.

    It terms of strength and durability, I have not heard any complains or issues with Black Cat dropouts. If they are -- I would love to know. The setup might appear more vulnerable, but it seems to work just fine in real life.

    On that note, there is a long-winding thread on this site with people complaining about creaking from their Lynskey sliders...Just pointing out.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Climber999's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    720
    Quote Originally Posted by Mojo Man
    When will it be available?

    Mojo
    Should be imminent -- they presented the frame in Interbike. I suggest you email Salsa and inquire.

    Interestingly enough, Salsa also offers the El Mariachi in Ti, which is a geared HT. Apparently, other than the different dropouts, the Selma has more beefed up stays and other minor enhancements to serve as a dedicated SS rig.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    874
    Quote Originally Posted by Climber999
    Should be imminent -- they presented the frame in Interbike. I suggest you email Salsa and inquire.

    Interestingly enough, Salsa also offers the El Mariachi in Ti, which is a geared HT. Apparently, other than the different dropouts, the Selma has more beefed up stays and other minor enhancements to serve as a dedicated SS rig.
    The only problem with the Salsa SS is that it has no cable stops. You don't have the option of running gears, which I would want.

    Mojo

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •