try driving your car less

Threaded to threadless adaptor Qs

This will be on an SS bike, if it happens...
    I have a nice frame/fork with a 1" threaded setup.
    I was looking at those threaded to threadless adaptor things. A few questions:

Do these hold up as well as a regular 1" threaded set would?
    Can you still adjust up and down like with a regular quill stem by moving the adaptor up and down?

I see this as a nice option because I have a bunch of threadless stems lying around, and I am finding a relatively limited selection of decent quality affordable threaded stems with a removable faceplate.

If you have one of these lying around unused, PM me.

in this pic, it's the chromey thing that the stem clamps to. they go for $20 new.

Only boring people get bored.

mtbr member
    I used one on a fixie commuter for a while. It's easy to adjust up/down just like a quill. I think I sold it with the bike...but I'll double check. I wouldn't hesitate to use it...like you said, it gives you better stem options in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by HoSS
    I just tried this last week on my Slingshot with no luck. I used the Profile converter and Ritchey WSC stem. It was OK just tooling around but when I torqued the bars it slipped. I couldn't tighten the stem down enough to stop the slipping

The Profile converter is smooth unlike the Nitto which is knurled. You may want to go with the Nitto and perhaps a more robust stem.
    did the adaptor slip inside the steertube, or did the stem slip on the adaptor?

Let me ask my wife
    I just tried this last week on my Slingshot with no luck. I used the Profile converter and Ritchey WSC stem. It was OK just tooling around but when I torqued the bars it slipped. I couldn't tighten the stem down enough to stop the slipping

The Profile converter is smooth unlike the Nitto which is knurled. You may want to go with the Nitto and perhaps a more robust stem.
    WTB: Syncros 31.8 seatpost
    Syncros threadless 1"x120 or 130mm stem
    Syncros cranks 180mm preferred

Quote Originally Posted by qtip
    I used one on a fixie commuter for a while. It's easy to adjust up/down just like a quill. I think I sold it with the bike...but I'll double check. I wouldn't hesitate to use it...like you said, it gives you better stem options in my opinion.
    thanks for the reply!

Sofa King We Todd Did
    That's a stem adapter quill on this bike. Got it from Nashbar for something like $11 or something. I raised it from its 'sit-in' position, dropped some spacers around it, then clamped on the stem and tightened the whole thing down. Rock solid. I know this because I crashed on this bike on Monday and the stem adapter stayed put.

Last edited by SpinWheelz; 07-21-2005 at 08:42 AM.

King Pin

Good job!

I've used a coupla 'el cheapo ones for years now, with no problems slipping, etc.

You clamp your stem to a smooth steerer tube, or to one of these jobbies....really no difference! (other than lack of star nut...)

mtbr member
    Jun 2005

Sweet Ride

Quote Originally Posted by SpinWheelz
    That's a stem adapter quill on this bike. Got it from Nashbar for something like $11 or something. I raised it from its 'sit-in' position, dropped some spacers around it, then clamped on the stem and tightened the whole thing down. Rock solid. I know this because I crashed on this bike on Monday and the stem adapter stayed put.

That looks like a sweet ride. I love the color and the very smooth welds. What is it?
    pinky!!! what the hell are you doin'??!!!??!!!
    -waiter at outback steak house
    (i had pink hair at the time....)

Sofa King We Todd Did
    Cheers. It's a converted 1991 Trek 950.

dirty hippy mountainbiker

nashbar

I have the nashbar 1 1/8. No problems. No movement. And you better believe I've crashed. Not too flexy. And you have a little bit of height adjustment. There is a min insertion line. mmmm minimum insertion...

-M
    Mike Henderson, Dirty Hippy Mountain Biker and part owner of Jet Lites.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I tried one of them chromey things

Adapted a 1-1/8 threadless softride stem to a 1" threaded fork using the stem adapter and it worked fine. There was vertical adjustment though not as much as a normal threaded stem. I had no problems with twisting (and don't say anything about twister)

I don't have the bike, stem or adapter anymore but I would go that route again if the situation came up.

blame me for missed rides
    been using one of these on my commuter for 2 years. no problems other than being a bit heavier than either pure threaded or threadless setups.

Recovering couch patato
    Got it on my older Giant TCR, with an ahead Salsa stem. Never a single problem. Compared to a heavy quills tem, it's not even that heavy. The spacerless height adjustment is a big plus, but I never did use it. Gotta remember it though, a buddy will borrow my years-of-dust Giant soon, for cardio road training. He'll like the feature for the last hour of a longer ride, I know how I long for such a thing on my longer rides.