Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004

Thoughts on the Voodoo Dambala as 29" a ss/geared rigid?

Thanks to those who replied to my last post easing any fears I had regarding 29'ers.

I am now looking for a 29'er frame to build as a ss rigid bike with discs.

I'm looking at the Voodoo Dambala for a few reasons:

First is the price: $430 for the frame. I figure I could get a fork for ~$70 and keep the frame/fork price around $500.

Second, I want something that will work well as both a ss or geared frame. The reason is that as much as I am enjoying ss, I can't do it more than once a week for an extended time. When I am riding regularly, I can only do about 1/3-1/2 of my rides on ss, and all-day ss epics are not a good idea for me.(more than that an my knee hurts). If I really like the 29'er hardtail thing, I may end up putting gears on it and use it as my everyday/all day ride. This bike will most likely remain ss, but I want to leave my options open.

The bike is designed for a suspension fork, so if rigid is too much for me I can stick a Reba on it.

I like verticle dropouts as I am looking to go disk. Any input on how these work out? I am curious if it is a good idea to have another set of bolts between my axle and frame. I had a similar settup with the drive side of my Heckler and that was not a problem. The disc tab being attached to the droput seems like a good way to keep the disc lined up when removing/installing the rear wheel. Is this setup work as it is intended?

Any other input on this frame or suggestions for other frames are welcome. I am looking to spend no more than $500 on the frame and fork.

Thanks,

Kapusta
    Last edited by kapusta; 11-10-2006 at 11:00 AM.

friend of preston
    Jan 2006

get one

I rode a friends and liked it. the dropouts never moved. its a rather nice steel bike for the money. i have ridden it with a noodly marzocchi and a rigid and noticed it rode better with the rigid (of course). i think its a good 29 entry bike that will ride neutrally enough that you can decide if 29 is right for you. i hopped on and it felt like my old MB-2, stable, good fit, comfortable, responsive to input and above all fun.
    He who makes a beast of himself, gets rid of the pain of being a man.- Dr. Samuel Johnson

mtbr member
    Look into the Haro Mary SS frame and fork deal. About 400 to 450 for frame and fork and you can get a derailleur hangar dropout from Haro to use if you want to go geared. That's a pretty good value since you get the fork with the frame.