Chumpstomper

thoughts/fit on the Timberwolf 2.7?

So, this fat boy needs some new rubber for my 1x1, and, being a cheapskate, I am leaning towards the WTB Timberwolf Race tires in 2.7. As my 1x1 has a rigid fork, I am hoping the 2.7 has lots of volume in additon to being wide of tread so as to provide lots of bounce. Anybody run these? Do you like em? Are they full of bounce? I assume they'll fit on my ride; I run discs.

Thanks
    Mark

Recovering Weight Weenie
    I assume you know that it's an amazingly heavy tire at about 1200grams...super sticky and great in mud/loose dirt...not bad in any regard.

I'm 99% that it's clear a 1x1 fork with plenty of room to spare. I fit a 2.7" Maxxis in a Bianchi SiSS fork along with a 2.4" Panaracer FR which seems the same size as the Timber.

Go for it.

my $.02:I say use a 2.5" Weirwolf though...you'll save a pound in rolling resistance and have the same volume.

mtbr member

920 grams

According to WTBs website, the race version weighs 920 grams, which is pretty light for a 2.7 inch tire. The DH version weighs like 1750 grams, which I could not see using except for knarly DH courses.

I have been thinking about trying one as well, and asked about it a few weeks ago. I think there were one or two responses from people who had used them, generally good. Maybe I should just buy one and post a ride report!

Mark

from the east

Good tire

It will fit a 1 x 1 fork.

The tire is slow slow slow, but huge on volume and traction. Way bigger and way more...traction-y...than a weirwolf.

If you are a big guy, I bet the trade-off is in your favor, especially if you ride rocky rooty dirty stuff.

eric.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Didn't want to take my word on it huh?

igoslo
    I'm with Padre. I run a 2.5 weirwolf on the front of my rigid Unit. I weigh 240 and ride fairly hard albeit slow. The weirwolf is sticky as all hell and not so heavy that you're gonna notice.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    As the others have said the TW pattern is slower and stickier than the WW, but less likely to load up in mud. Picks it up and flings it all over everything, but that is another story.

The TW 2.7 has the 58mm casing while the WW 2.5 has the 55mm version, so if it is maximum cush you are after the TW will be a better deal.

That having been said, there is a new model for 2006 called the WW 2.55 LT with the 58mm casing but smaller knobs than the standard WW. Basically maximizing cush and minimizing weight (and potentially rolling resistance) at the expense of grip. How it ranks as far as durability is concerned remains to be seen, but I'd think that it would be a great tire for what you are describing.

Chumpstomper
    Quote Originally Posted by Daner
    As the others have said the TW pattern is slower and stickier than the WW, but less likely to load up in mud. Picks it up and flings it all over everything, but that is another story.

The TW 2.7 has the 58mm casing while the WW 2.5 has the 55mm version, so if it is maximum cush you are after the TW will be a better deal.

That having been said, there is a new model for 2006 called the WW 2.55 LT with the 58mm casing but smaller knobs than the standard WW. Basically maximizing cush and minimizing weight (and potentially rolling resistance) at the expense of grip. How it ranks as far as durability is concerned remains to be seen, but I'd think that it would be a great tire for what you are describing.
    Thanks everybody for chiming in. As I am a man of extremes, I ordered a set of the 2.7s yesterday. Even if they are a little slow, they look like they'll do well up here in Minnesota on our snow-covered trails.

Cheers
    Mark

mtbr member
    If you've never tried a Panaracer Fire Freeride 2.4, you should check it out. Don't let the 2.4 fool you, this tire is BIG and has traction to spare. Rolling resistance is high but probably no higher than a Timberwolf. The side knobs are huge but well supported so it handles well on hardpack, unlike the Werewolf. Its quite good in loose soil also. The kevlar bead version is relatively light at about 900 grams.