Results 1 to 25 of 25
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    354

    New question here. IS a Thomson stem strong enough??

    Now I know the reviews are good, but on my new Two tone monocog, I want to get a 90mm stem, a little longer then my current 80mm raceface prodigy stem, to give me just a little more room while still not being scarry long for tecnicial terrain.
    I also will be doing some bmx racing on it in the cruiser class, first race on it was last weekend, but the prodigy stem is way too flexy for bmx, it's scarry when you see it move when your setting up and standing on the starting gate, I don't think I can trust it. I also will use this bike for regular xc and technicial terrain, so I don't want a shorty bmx style stem.
    Will a thomson be good enough, or should I just get a 80mm raceface diablos stem or one of the 80 mm azonic or supergo azonic coppies, is the 90mm ritchey SC stem available for a non oversized bar?? and is it any good? I am running a titec hellbent riser bar, which is pretty beefy but I have had it for a couple of years, would probably get a awnser protaper riser or similiar easton ea70 riser if I replace the bar.

  2. #2
    Get your freak on!
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    2,698
    I've never heard of any strength issues of the thompson Theres plenty of people using thme for DH and FR.


  3. #3
    6x7=Dont Panic!
    Reputation: TheRedMantra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,010
    Yes it is.
    Herro prease

  4. #4
    Recovering Weight Weenie
    Reputation: Padre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,718
    Absolutely.
    I've done flat out DH on my 110mm...but I believe more stress overall is put on my 130mm Thomson on my SS.
    I've been riding for 4 years and NEVER had issue 1 with any Thomson product.
    DO IT.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    354

    thanks for the info

    Quote Originally Posted by Padre
    Absolutely.
    I've done flat out DH on my 110mm...but I believe more stress overall is put on my 130mm Thomson on my SS.
    I've been riding for 4 years and NEVER had issue 1 with any Thomson product.
    DO IT.
    Dh on a 110MM, that is seriously crazy talk, Padre. I have a fear of long stems, on anything other than a seriously xc bike, my kona unit runs a 115 kore stem, or a cross or road bike, I run a 110 on my ss cross check, and my geared cross/road bike.
    Thanks for your info though, I have thomson seat posts, but not the stems, I guess I'll go with the 90mm thomson and I shouldn't be seeing the stem twist on the starting gate.

  6. #6
    Recovering Weight Weenie
    Reputation: Padre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,718
    Quote Originally Posted by single1x1
    Dh on a 110MM, that is seriously crazy talk, Padre. I have a fear of long stems, on anything other than a seriously xc bike, my kona unit runs a 115 kore stem, or a cross or road bike, I run a 110 on my ss cross check, and my geared cross/road bike.
    Thanks for your info though, I have thomson seat posts, but not the stems, I guess I'll go with the 90mm thomson and I shouldn't be seeing the stem twist on the starting gate.
    Not crazy at all.
    It's what you gotta do when you are as tall/big as I am.
    DHers use the shorty Thomsons all the time...
    The tolerances of the longer ones are still pretty mighty it seems.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: DiRt DeViL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    4,801
    Go for it, they're the strongest and good looking too.

    All my bikes have Thomson stems and 2 of the 3 have Thomson seatposts.

  8. #8
    King Pin
    Reputation: xrmattaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,255

    Good job! Agree

    That's TWO times in as many years Padre! Hehe.

    I have Thomson stems 110/120/130 and 140 (!!)mm's long that are still going strong. Even big boy's don't break 'em.

    I use the 140mm daily on my rocky/nasty commute to work. Ahhhhh....singletrack commute, to and fro!


    Quote Originally Posted by Padre
    Not crazy at all.
    It's what you gotta do when you are as tall/big as I am.
    DHers use the shorty Thomsons all the time...
    The tolerances of the longer ones are still pretty mighty it seems.

  9. #9
    cut like the fog.
    Reputation: bones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    356

    Very strong...

    I've used Thomson for a while and have never had a problem and I've even hucked 6" to flat!

    gnar!
    b.
    [SIZE=3][SIZE=2]
    [/SIZE]
    [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3][SIZE=2][/SIZE][/SIZE]

  10. #10
    hands up who wants to die
    Reputation: rpet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,370
    It sound like you are running too long of a stem for BMX. It takes less than 10 minutes to swap stems; get a BMX stem for the race days.

    -r
    The server is too busy at the moment. Please try again later.
    my mtb videos: http://vimeo.com/album/6861

  11. #11
    "Mr. Britannica"
    Reputation: roadiegonebad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,820
    Quote Originally Posted by single1x1
    Now I know the reviews are good, but on my new Two tone monocog, I want to get a 90mm stem, a little longer then my current 80mm raceface prodigy stem, to give me just a little more room while still not being scarry long for tecnicial terrain.
    I also will be doing some bmx racing on it in the cruiser class, first race on it was last weekend, but the prodigy stem is way too flexy for bmx, it's scarry when you see it move when your setting up and standing on the starting gate, I don't think I can trust it. I also will use this bike for regular xc and technicial terrain, so I don't want a shorty bmx style stem.
    Will a thomson be good enough, or should I just get a 80mm raceface diablos stem or one of the 80 mm azonic or supergo azonic coppies, is the 90mm ritchey SC stem available for a non oversized bar?? and is it any good? I am running a titec hellbent riser bar, which is pretty beefy but I have had it for a couple of years, would probably get a awnser protaper riser or similiar easton ea70 riser if I replace the bar.

    I would bet that the frame breaks before the stem.

  12. #12
    don't try this at home
    Reputation: moschika's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,597
    another resounding vote for thomson stems. i've been running a 90mm stem for 4 years on my ss. not a single problem. i think your bars would bend before you see any flex in the stem.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dRjOn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,733

    hmmm, i may be the naysayer...

    i have had a thomson stem fo r2 years. admittedly its been on 3 bikes now, but i have had to replace the wedge bolts twice as it kept working loose. now, i use a torque wrench, the stem is 120mm long 5 degree and its on a primarily rigid singlespeed with a tough gear and the bars i use are 25" wide.

    i live inscotland, and we are kind of up or down, i like technical trails and ride around 100km a week off road. sometimes more.

    so draw yer own conclusions. it most certainly is not a poor stem. BUT and this is a qualified but, i prefer my seven stem (which i have had 6 months, on another singlespeed). it has never come loose (the thomson/headset needed readjusting every few rides or so over last 12 months) and i have more faith in a wraparound grip. of course ive only had it 6 months so this may be honeymooon still...

    ok. too much detail on a fairly small point, but i wouldnt say it has been a fit and forget item for me...

  14. #14
    Cubicle Fugitive
    Reputation: czardonic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    162
    I wouldn't worry about the strength. The set-up is relatively finicky though, so if you don't have an appropriate torque wrench or a good feel for torque you may run into problems with the clamping mechanism.

    Link to pic of poster showing Thomson stem suspending an entire car: http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...72523#poststop

  15. #15
    King Pin
    Reputation: xrmattaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,255

    Wink Nothin' to brag about!

    I DAILY huck at least eight to ten inches to FLAT!! Six ain't nothin'.



    Quote Originally Posted by bones
    I've used Thomson for a while and have never had a problem and I've even hucked 6" to flat!

    gnar!
    b.

  16. #16
    cut like the fog.
    Reputation: bones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    356

    Stud!

    Quote Originally Posted by xrmattaz
    I DAILY huck at least eight to ten inches to FLAT!! Six ain't nothin'.
    that's so bichin'.
    [SIZE=3][SIZE=2]
    [/SIZE]
    [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3][SIZE=2][/SIZE][/SIZE]

  17. #17
    Harrumph
    Reputation: G-reg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,575
    I've had a few Thomp's on lots of bikes, and you don't have to worry about strength. That being said the Diabalous stem is sweet, and only a few grams heavier than the Thomp. I'd wager the more standard pinch clamp on the steerer holds stronger than the wedge on the Thomp. That and the Diabalous has laser etched flames, which only make you faster of course.
    Slowly slipping to retrogrouchyness

  18. #18
    don't try this at home
    Reputation: moschika's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,597
    Quote Originally Posted by czardonic
    I wouldn't worry about the strength. The set-up is relatively finicky though, so if you don't have an appropriate torque wrench or a good feel for torque you may run into problems with the clamping mechanism.

    Link to pic of poster showing Thomson stem suspending an entire car: http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...72523#poststop
    maybe it's just me but i don't understand all the torquing around with this stem. i mean, i've taken it off, played with stack height, etc. all i do is put it on, line it up - by eye so it's straight, and tighten one bolt till it's snug, tighten the other till it's snug, then tighten the other some more till it "feels" tight, and do the same to the last bolt.

  19. #19
    King Pin
    Reputation: xrmattaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,255

    ... and if we just ... Yep

    Feel the love?

    (spellcheck.com)



    Quote Originally Posted by bones
    that's so bichin'.

  20. #20
    Cubicle Fugitive
    Reputation: czardonic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    162
    Quote Originally Posted by moschika
    maybe it's just me but i don't understand all the torquing around with this stem. i mean, i've taken it off, played with stack height, etc. all i do is put it on, line it up - by eye so it's straight, and tighten one bolt till it's snug, tighten the other till it's snug, then tighten the other some more till it "feels" tight, and do the same to the last bolt.
    Gasp! You don't use a proper Stem Alignment Guage to dial the straightness of your stem!?

    I never had a problem with torque, but when I started springing for higher-end parts I figured I may as well spring for the proper tools and now that I have them I figure I may as well use them. I still make adjustments on the trail now and then with a multi-tool and haven't had any issues. I usually aim for what feels just tight enough and make sure that things feel evenly tight when they need to be. A torque wrench isn't necessary, but the Thomson spec is pretty specific and since most stems seem to use M5 or even M6 hardware, the "feel" for the M4 hardware on Thomson stuff is not quite the same.

  21. #21
    Am I getting too bulky?
    Reputation: Bikehigh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    801
    I have have Thomson psts on all my bikes, except the one with the Campy Record post, and for some reason I can't stand the idea of having a matching post. Pretty much for that reason only, I run an Azonic Shorty on my SS. Strength doen't seem to be an issue. If there's fles, I can't detect it. There are certainly no creaking noises liek with some other stems I'd tried previously. I ride a MonoCog too though, and I'm a clyd, so weight isn't a big issue for me either.
    I gotta roll, can't stand still, got a flame in my heart, can't get my fill.

  22. #22
    ali'i hua
    Reputation: SlowSSer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    1,733
    Quote Originally Posted by czardonic
    I wouldn't worry about the strength. The set-up is relatively finicky though, so if you don't have an appropriate torque wrench or a good feel for torque you may run into problems with the clamping mechanism.

    Link to pic of poster showing Thomson stem suspending an entire car: http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...72523#poststop
    i was hoping someone would post that.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: poff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    1,067

    The face plate on my thomson stem has cracked

    I could've bought another plate, but went with moots.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: AteMrYeats's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    804
    I had one Thomson that was great for at least three years. I just bought another that creaked so badly at the head tube that I couldn't stand it. I tried everything with that stem to make it stop. No more Thomson for me.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: PinkyBrigade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    75
    I think the Thomson's are some of the strongest stems and seatposts you can get

Similar Threads

  1. Thomson stem on CK headset creak solution?
    By SingleTrackHound in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 04-28-2005, 03:03 PM
  2. Size or setup changes on my HH100
    By sgamiz in forum Titus
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 03-16-2005, 04:33 PM
  3. 1 1/8" Quill stem trade anyone?
    By Carsten in forum Vintage, Retro, Classic
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-11-2005, 06:06 AM
  4. Headshok stem doesn't fit Headshok!
    By Astroboy in forum Cannondale
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-19-2005, 05:50 PM
  5. How does stem length effect steering?
    By BudhaGoodha in forum Downhill - Freeride
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 12-09-2004, 01:01 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •