mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Thinking of making the big switch....

Just put on the new (for me) Talas RL I just bought from someone on the board and went for a ride. Well everything was golden but I was having bulls** drivetrain problems because of the new chain I just put on a 1-2 season used cassette and crankset. I dont think the front three gears were the problem as it was skipping like a schoolgirl in the back until I decided to just use the large front cog only, making extra tension. Anyways..long story short..i have diesel legs and good endurance...I'm always embarrasing my riding buddies up hills. I mainly only use gear 2 in front, 4 or five in back.......OR gear 1 in front ...same in rear. So Im getting to the point where i'm really sick and tired of dealing with gears and all the bs! My bike would make a great singlespeed i think..with the Talas fork on a 99 Trek 6000 frame with almost every part upgraded. Light and perfect for good aggressive XC. Basically I have the idea that I can just remove my biggest and smallest front gears leaving the #2 and get a fixed single speed cassette in rear. Maybe I am a newbie...so please educate me on this....whats the cheapest way I can do this

PS. My front crankset and BB is only 1 season old basically...and my chain is brand new and has adjustable links.... Thanks!
    8 is great

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    You can buy a single speed conversion kit for a cassette hub. It will include a cog and spacers to set the chainline with. get a chain tensioner since I don't think that frame will have a way to adjust tension. It will take the place of the rear derailleur. Then you can rip off the shifters and extra chainrings and cables and all that stuff. no more skips if you do it right. Just pedal!

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I saw in another post the guy uses the derailieur as the tensioner...is that not recommended?
    8 is great

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    sent you a pm

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Eek...looks like some of the **** is pretty expensive. Best cheap option ive been able to think of is leaving the #3 and #2 gears on of my current crankset intact...using the #2 for the drive gear and getting one of those Forte coversion kits for the rear cassette. Is this too ghetto?.....Whats the best cheap option?
    8 is great