mtbr member

Thinking custom single speed.... few questions for you all? (Fetish Frame?)

I am currently riding a converted '96 trek 7000. Rides nice but a bit stiff and unforgiving since it is a aluminum race frame.

Anways was thinking about getting a Fetish SS frame cause it is such a good deal. Here are the questions I have.

1. Why do most single speeders prefer a steel frame? Is it that noticable of a difference in ride quality vs a traditional aluminum hard tail?

2. Will I notice a big differnece between riding my converted 96 trek 7000 SS and a dedicated frame such as a Fetish Fixation?

3. I want to run disk brakes if I do this project so how hard is it to adjust the rear disk brakes with horizontal drop outs. Seems in theory it woud be a PITA (pain in the A$$).

4. Are you fetish SS owners happy? Seem like a lot of bang for your buck with this frame. I would like to put a few bling bling parts on it but it will be a budget build. That being said I want an inexpensive frame that does not ride like an inexpensive frame.

5. What width of tire can you run on a Fetish Fixation frame? Will a 2.4 fit?

Any opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Are you looking at the Fetish Fixation on ebay? Screaming deal for a complete bike. Zero bids at the moment and closes a 7:00pm pst. Looks slightly more like a jump bike than an XC though.

If you think your Trek is harsh the Fetish is going to really rattle you.
    HOW the frame material is used is more important than WHICH material is used. Ti, Al, or steel, they can all be made to have a comfy ride or a harsh ride, strong or weak, stiff or flexy. Steel is just by far the easiest to work with for the custom builder.

Tires: the ebay bikes has Nevegal 2.35s on it (BIG tire).
    Rear disc: the mount does not look adjustable. Could be a issue.
    The 100 mm fork is pretty good. Would cost you about half the price of the starting bid.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

banned
    ...adding to Shiggy's good advice...

you said "custom," but the Fetish isn't a custom frame. just wanted to make sure you're aware of that being COMPLETELY different from having a frame built to your dimensions, riding style/weight/terrain, etc.

but I'd agree that it's a home build, with a "custom" parts selection (if you're fond of overselling, that is... )

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gonzostrike
    ...adding to Shiggy's good advice...

you said "custom," but the Fetish isn't a custom frame. just wanted to make sure you're aware of that being COMPLETELY different from having a frame built to your dimensions, riding style/weight/terrain, etc.

but I'd agree that it's a home build, with a "custom" parts selection (if you're fond of overselling, that is... )
    Ok, I agree with the "custom" part of it, but lets not get hung up on that point. How about the rest? BTW, that is a sweet deal. Looking more for a heavy duty cross country setup though.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbcyclist
    Ok, I agree with the "custom" part of it, but lets not get hung up on that point. How about the rest? BTW, that is a sweet deal. Looking more for a heavy duty cross country setup though.
    The setup on the bike would mostly be fine for XC. If you like the geometry of the frame it would make a good "heavy duty" XC bike. The starting bid - or even a bit more - is a great price. You could not build up a bike for that. The auction has ended. Contact the seller and see if you can still buy it. Even if you end up not liking the frame you could swap the parts to a new frame and sell the old frame.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common