Team SUMMIT BICYCLES

29" frnt, 26" rear wheel custom frame?

Does anyone have any experience with this setup? I am thinking that the 29" front wheel would roll over bumps better and absorb more shock, but the 26" rear wheel allows me to have short chainstays and keep weight over the rear wheel for traction on climbs. Maybe the 29" wheel would make for a softer rigid fork ride. I crunched some numbers to try and see if I could get a custom fork to run a 29" wheel on my current 26" frame without screwing up the geometry too much, and it looked like it would make it pretty slack. I am dreaming of a custom frame in half a year or so, and this is something I have been thinking about. Is this idea a waste of time? Any thoughts?
    Last edited by schnapmaster; 04-26-2004 at 10:11 PM. Reason: title is cut off before thread is explained

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by schnapmaster
    Does anyone have any experience with this setup? I am thinking that the 29" front wheel would roll over bumps better and absorb more shock, but the 26" rear wheel allows me to have short chainstays and keep weight over the rear wheel for traction on climbs. Maybe the 29" wheel would make for a softer rigid fork ride. I crunched some numbers to try and see if I could get a custom fork to run a 29" wheel on my current 26" frame without screwing up the geometry too much, and it looked like it would make it pretty slack. I am dreaming of a custom frame in half a year or so, and this is something I have been thinking about. Is this idea a waste of time? Any thoughts?
    It would be a good setup, especially as a custom, for all of the reasons you state. I have used this combo a bit (not designed for it) and liked it except it slacked out the bike a bit too much.

Use a 26" Dimension disc fork on your current bike and you can run a 29" wheel/tire with just enough clearance under the crown. It will not affect the geometry too much as long as you use as big a rear tire as will fit.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    How short did you want to go with the chainstays?

It's possible to go pretty short with a 29" rear wheel, especially with a singlespeed.

I'm not trying to talk you out of the 29/26 combo, but it may not be necessary.

giddy up!

I would.....

.....get some time in riding a 29er first before you make any decisions. 29er's have a boatload of traction, even with their longer stays. The stays on my 29er are and inch longer than my 26 inch bike, but the 9er climbs MUCH better, MUCH.

Try it before you buy it!

Quote Originally Posted by schnapmaster
    www.thepathbikeshop.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    From the gary fisher website...

04/22/2004

Gary drove down the California coast last week from his San Fransisco home to Monterey for the annual bike festival/extravaganza the Sea Otter Classic.

Gary had a couple of bikes in his back seat. One was for riding with 1,000 of his closest friends on the casual fun ride. This was his concept Sugar with a 29" front wheel and 26" rear. Something to help start conversation, as if he needs any help.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Personally i wouldnt change my 29/26er setup which has a super short custom ti fork at 420mm crown race to axle center ala Gene at Spicer. Right now it gives about a cm of clearance on the biggest 29er tires out there. The 15mm difference over the Kelly fork or others at 435mm is very noticable. To further improve on the "slackness" issue of the 29/26 combo......i am currently running a 2.4 Mutano raptor in the rear which has a taller aspect ratio compared to all of the 2.1in-29er front tires. Most people who see my bike dont notice that im running a 29er up front until i point it out.....they have to stand waaay back and then they say...."Oh yeah"..."wow". I did have to fiddle alot with stem angles and length....but with the shorter fork...and bigger rear tire....the combo makes for awesome climbing in and out of the saddle as well as the great rollover-ability of the front end. My only complaint thus far is the 29"rims lateral flex under high speed rocky bumps( the rim is arguably a vertically strong Velocity Dyad...but not the best laterally). This is one of the reasons i would shy away from a full 29er at this point.

Team SUMMIT BICYCLES

Seems like custom is the way to go...

Thanks for all of the feedback. It seems like the 29/26 setup is going to work well for me, as long as the wheels and tires continue to grow in availability. I don't think It's worth doing the higher volume tire in rear and smaller volume tire in front, or getting a custom 29" fork or disk fork in the front. I will keep my Steelman as a 26/26, but I'm working on plans for a 29/26 custom ti singlespeed frame. 16" or shorter chainstays, but built with the geometry to accept a 29" front wheel and fork. I think it would be the ultimate rigid singlespeed bike. 29" front rolls over bumps, while the 26" rear is stronger, stiffer and allows shorter chainstays. I've already started talking to Jeff Jones about building one!