Happy in Happy Valley
    Jun 2008

Thinking about getting gears and squish...

First off, I love my 1x1. Great bike, and riding rigid and singlespeed has been a blast. I have no desire to put gears or a suspension fork on this bike. However, I miss being able to squish over things on the descents, and I worry about completing longer rides w/o having the granny gear to bail me out.

With that in mind, I'm considering picking up a second bike for longer rides and races; specifically 24 hrs of big bear in June, and the Eastern collegiate conference races in the fall. My collegiate team is sponsored by specialized, so I'm in a position to get a very good deal on one of their bikes. I'm looking at getting an Epic Expert. This deal goes out the window at the end of May as I'm changing schools for next fall.

Part of me wants to wait and see if I can improve my descending technique and stamina enough this spring to make everything doable on the 1x1. The other part doesn't want to let this deal go. I also worry that by having two radically different bikes, I'll end up riding one and letting the other collect dust 98% of the time. Will I get lazy and only ride the epic? Will I begrudge the added complexity of the epic and only ride the 1x1?

Who's got a geared full suspension in their quiver? Do you get enough use of it to make it worth the $$$$, or so you almost always reach for the SS?

Sorry for the long post. TIA for your thoughts.
    Rigid Surly 1x1 650b--------Fixed CrossCheck--------Surly Pacer-------Salsa Ala Carte

aka baycat
    Why not try running some front suspension on your rigid 1x1?

I am building up a hardtail with a 140mm front and gears for much longer rides, and technical stuff. Although taken my single speed on very long rides. Just do not give yourself the option of bringing another bike

Variety is the spice of life or some ****. So get a Karate Monkey with gears and front suspension or get the fully blinged out epic

mtbr member
    I've got a rock shox on my giant SS. It makes a huge difference going downhill. Just try a suspension fork before you buy a new bike.

I have rode a full rigid and a front suspension SS, and it's like night and day.
    Ne quid nimis.
    Nothing in excess.

Apr 2007
    I had my SS rigid 29er and a 2008 Spec. FSRXC Comp at the same time. The FSR collected dust. It was sold last year.

It all depends on what you want, though. It's nice to have many bikes in the stable, and sometimes, that's the only way you'll find out which bike suits you the best. If you can afford it, take the plunge and get a FS.

Happy in Happy Valley
    Jun 2008
    I considered throwing a suspension fork on the 1x1, but any ride long/rough enough to make me lust after suspension will also make me lust after gears. I love the precision and efficiency of the rigid fork, and I want to hang onto that with the 1x1.

Gratuitous glamor shot:

My ride before the 1x1 was an older aluminum geared hardtail. It was a little brutal during longer races, but served me well. I have so far resisted full suspension because pedal bob drives me insane, but the comfort is alluring... The epic is the only bike that seems to offer some rear compliance with similar efficiency to a hardtail.
    Rigid Surly 1x1 650b--------Fixed CrossCheck--------Surly Pacer-------Salsa Ala Carte

aka baycat
    Rear suspension technology/shocks has come quite a ways (not sure when you last rocked a full suspension bike if at all). But if you dial them in correctly you can hammer the **** out of the rear and there should be no to minimal pedal bob. You are correct that the epic from what I have seen mimics a hardtail a bit better than other full squish bikes since it is is a very xc race oriented bike. If you are looking at that check out other ones and test ride them. Maybe a Giant Anthem, Turner Flux, etc. depending on your budget.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I live in colorado and get to ride some incredible places all year long.
    Crested Butte, Monarch Crest, Moab.....The list goes on.
    My point is that i get to ride some really technical trails where the air is thin.

I bought a single speed last June and I have only ridden my FS 3 times since. Two trips to moab and 24 hours of moab. This year I am going to race the SS class so subtract another day of riding this year. I have no desire to ride my FS. I have a stumpjumper expert and it just collects dust like you suspect. It is nice to lock out the rear with the brain option and it does climb awesome. It's a great bike but.....

It just really stinks when i pick up that 27 lb tank compared to my rigid titanium 29er. I never want to take the fat chick out anymore and she cries at home.

I want to sell the FS but my friends say I am nuts so to keep them quiet i still have it.
    If you are going to be able to pro-form a bike i would get the geared squish, if you don't like it or it collects dust you can probably sell it for what you paid for escpecially since I have a feeling that it will only be ridden on race day.

I am tempted to sell mine and just rent a bike when i go to moab a few times a year.

Quote Originally Posted by Frs1661
    First off, I love my 1x1. Great bike, and riding rigid and singlespeed has been a blast. I have no desire to put gears or a suspension fork on this bike. However, I miss being able to squish over things on the descents, and I worry about completing longer rides w/o having the granny gear to bail me out.

With that in mind, I'm considering picking up a second bike for longer rides and races; specifically 24 hrs of big bear in June, and the Eastern collegiate conference races in the fall. My collegiate team is sponsored by specialized, so I'm in a position to get a very good deal on one of their bikes. I'm looking at getting an Epic Expert. This deal goes out the window at the end of May as I'm changing schools for next fall.

Part of me wants to wait and see if I can improve my descending technique and stamina enough this spring to make everything doable on the 1x1. The other part doesn't want to let this deal go. I also worry that by having two radically different bikes, I'll end up riding one and letting the other collect dust 98% of the time. Will I get lazy and only ride the epic? Will I begrudge the added complexity of the epic and only ride the 1x1?

Who's got a geared full suspension in their quiver? Do you get enough use of it to make it worth the $$$$, or so you almost always reach for the SS?

Sorry for the long post. TIA for your thoughts.

simple
    Plenty of people have both types of bikes (and many more) so don't feel like your not a purist by not riding your rigid SS all the time. I personally like mixing it up by riding the SS sometimes and the FS othertimes. No bike in my house gathers dust, well except my wife's mountain bike, but that is a whole different story.

If you can afford it and you want it, take advantage and get that FS. Bikes are rad so ride them.

a.k.a Slacker
    Jan 2006
    I must say this, I've been mostly riding full suspension, before building the SS. I did a long ride on Sunday with one of my FS bikes. I did the SS thing to help me become a stronger rider. If you're a good SS'er, my guess is that you'd be an even better FS rider.

Probably contrary to what everyone might be saying, I say if it's an opportunity that you can afford, then go for it. Who knows you might be faster in your races.

Last year I did 24 hours (5man team) on a Heckler. I'm doing the SS this year to train, but I'm still going to be riding a Blur at the race.

In the end, you should ask yourself, what your goal is. Stick to the SS at all costs? or Race faster?

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I have a FS bike (new carbon ibis mojo) and a SS bike (raleigh xxix). I love the both -- but for different things. I don't think my rigid SS is suited to some places, and the FS is perfect for those. A couple places I ride are great on the SS, and almost boring on the FS.

I agree with the others above -- you will like having both. My only wish -- that Ibis made 29er version of the mojo.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Ride the full squish...it'll remind you why you love yer SS. When you ride yer SS, it'll remind you why you wanted a full squish. Variety...

Got single track/speed?

Mixing it up is good

Yep. I ride both. Just upgraded to a nice Stumpjumper Pro Carbon. It's an awesome bike, but still enjoy riding the singlespeed. I'll ride the FS where I know there's going to be a lot of steep climbs and/or I'm riding with a fast group. For the slower groups, I'll ride the SS and challenge myself on the climbs even if I have to walk a few.

There's definitely more satisfaction riding the SS. Especially when you can keep up or be faster than the FS/MS riders.

You can't have too many bikes if they're all different.

-Chuck

Happy in Happy Valley
    Jun 2008
    Thanks for the thoughts. I'm going to go for it; worst case I strip the frame and hock it on ebay to pay for whatever frame I decide I want. The deal is too good to pass up.

Happy riding

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    [QUOTE=Frs1661]

[QUOTE]

Admittedly, I didn't read through all the responses, so forgive me if this is repetitive, however, I have a '09 Anthem X1, an '08 Anthem 1 and an '08 Redline Monocog Flight (with REBA fork).

What I have found is this:

I ride my local trails 95% of the time, as I have two young kids and can't pull off the day trips very often. I absolutely LOVE all three bikes and acquired the singlespeed last. My rationale was that during my winter rides I wanted a simple, inexpensive bike that would keep my fitness level up AND since I really spend most of my time on the local trails I wanted to mix it up a bit as the rides were getting stale on the FS bikes.

I have been extremely satisfied with my decision. I do reach for my SS quite often, but generally because it's a great training tool and it's fun to blow the doors off other guys with gears. I rode my X1 last night after about a month of leaving it untouched and OMG, it felt like riding a freakin' rocketship. As far as speed goes, I can tear through my trails on the FS but for developing better riding skills, stamina, and leg muscle, the nod goes to the SS. I will race on the X1 this year because it is that much faster.

So, for me the old saying "variety is the spice of life" is right on the money as it applies to how much more I appreciate each bike after riding the others. Personally, I think you'll enjoy the ability to switch things up with multiple options.

Happy in Happy Valley
    Jun 2008
    Well I went over to the dark side... couldn't resist when the Santa Cruz Blur XC (complete bike) came up on chainlove for $1600.

Should be a good compliment to the 1x1 for the kind of riding I do.

Thanks for the input everyone.

SS XC Junkie
    FRS, don't feel bad I did the same thing. Picked up a Turner Sultan. I love it and the gears are VERY nice as is the suspension. With that being said, I still alternate the SS on my rides.

One thing I did notice about having gears, I find myself switching down and up constantly trying to find the "right" gear for my riding at that time. This usually happens on the flats when I'm on a small incline or I'm just getting tired. Another thing I found is that even with gears I'm only about 2mph faster on the flats. I thought I could gain 4-5 mph difference but I guess my legs aren't that used to the tension of higher gears. On the very steep climbs the geared bike just goes right up BUT on the geared bike I have to be a lot more careful because with lower gears I can easily break the back tire loose.

With all that being said, my SS is still a BLAST to ride. Now if only I could find a way to ride them both at the same time....