mtbr member

Thinking about converting to a Rigid SS

Hey friends,

I recently picked up a 2007 Marin Mount Vision full squish so that I could ride some of the more technical terrain around where I live. I dont think that I will be getting near as much use out of my custom Stumpy Hardtail. I have been rolling around different ideas on what to do with it. I think I have settled on turning it in to a commuter/xc fun bike that is set up single speed an possibly rigid. I want something that will make me stronger and make me a better rider when I am riding xc trails. Should I part out/sell my Stumpy and just buy a SS or should I convert? Ideas, opinions?

2007 Stumpjumper Comp Frame
    Revelation Fork 100-130mm Travel, Remote Lockout
    Thomson Elite Stem
    Easton Carbon CNT handlebar
    ODI lockon Grips
    XT Shifters
    XTR Hydro Brakes
    XTR Centerlock rotors
    Thomson Masterpiece Seatpost
    XT Rims and Hubs
    Panaracer Fire XC tires
    XT FD
    XT RD
    SLX Cassette
    Truvativ FireX Crankset
    Specialized Phenom Ti Saddle

Thanks,

Moe

mtbr member
    I would say convert it. Sounds like you already have a good bike to start with...

mtbr member

You have a great base bike to work with but personally I would sell it and get a rigid 29er SS. That gives you two opposite spectrum bikes, each with their own ride qualities and personalities. I'm looking at the same scenario with a recently-purchased f/s 29, and looking at the Nashbar rigid 29 SS just for fun (and tinkering). I rode a fully rigid 29 SS last weekend just to see what it was all about, and it was a ton of fun. Slower, more methodical ride but a more "smell the roses"-type ride. Loved every minute of it, but I also enjoy my full squish too.
    Please donate to IMBA or your local chapter. It's trail karma.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    I have a rigid SS and it sucks on rough trails. It just hammers my tail to death. That said it is great on wet trails; otherwise, give me a fork and gears

mtbr member
    I ride rigid ss and my trails are pretty rooty an rocky.

Yes, it takes time to get used to a rigid bike, but on a ss, climbing is all about standing, and I love how the rigid bike lays the power down without the movement of a suspension.

SPP
    Rigid.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the advice, fellas! I think a 29er SS will be the way for me to go. Most likely a rigid.

Pete, a Niner like yours would be ideal, and I might have to go test ride some at my local Niner dealer that just popped up in town a year ago, but I am not sure I can afford one just yet.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by moefosho View Post
    Thanks for the advice, fellas! I think a 29er SS will be the way for me to go. Most likely a rigid.

Pete, a Niner like yours would be ideal, and I might have to go test ride some at my local Niner dealer that just popped up in town a year ago, but I am not sure I can afford one just yet.
    My fork is a Niner but the frame is a Santa Cruz Highball.

My first SS was a Niner One9...loved the geo but not the ebb. That said, I know Niner's new two bolt ebb is supposed to be better with creaking and slipping than the one bolt version that I had.

SPP
    Rigid.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Rigid has its limitations for sure, as I found out last weekend at Syllamo. I prefer it for the lightness of the front...most of the time, used to anyway. Another plus is you learn to pick cleaner lines through rough stuff out of necessity. One way to alleviate some of the harshness is to go with a low pressure tubeless set up, running your tires down to 20psi +/- helps a lot. I think for racing, anything over thirty miles a suspension fork would be better for the day on most tracks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dwilson View Post
    Rigid has its limitations for sure, as I found out last weekend at Syllamo. I prefer it for the lightness of the front...most of the time, used to anyway. Another plus is you learn to pick cleaner lines through rough stuff out of necessity. One way to alleviate some of the harshness is to go with a low pressure tubeless set up, running your tires down to 20psi +/- helps a lot. I think for racing, anything over thirty miles a suspension fork would be better for the day on most tracks.
    I realize that it has its limits. I will probably use it most often for riding xc with my wife as well as some of my newbie friends so that we are at the same pace (if I can keep up) and for the extra workout. I will also use it to commute to work and back. If we go to the mountains I will most likely take the Marin.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Go 29er

Quote Originally Posted by moefosho View Post
    Hey friends,

I recently picked up a 2007 Marin Mount Vision full squish so that I could ride some of the more technical terrain around where I live. I dont think that I will be getting near as much use out of my custom Stumpy Hardtail. I have been rolling around different ideas on what to do with it. I think I have settled on turning it in to a commuter/xc fun bike that is set up single speed an possibly rigid. I want something that will make me stronger and make me a better rider when I am riding xc trails. Should I part out/sell my Stumpy and just buy a SS or should I convert? Ideas, opinions?

2007 Stumpjumper Comp Frame
    Revelation Fork 100-130mm Travel, Remote Lockout
    Thomson Elite Stem
    Easton Carbon CNT handlebar
    ODI lockon Grips
    XT Shifters
    XTR Hydro Brakes
    XTR Centerlock rotors
    Thomson Masterpiece Seatpost
    XT Rims and Hubs
    Panaracer Fire XC tires
    XT FD
    XT RD
    SLX Cassette
    Truvativ FireX Crankset
    Specialized Phenom Ti Saddle

Thanks,

Moe
    I would say sell it and get a 29er. Even a cheap one like a Redline Monocog will outperform any 26" wheeled bike.
    I am not repeating myself I am not repeating myself!

mtbr member
    Sell stumpjumper, but rigid SS 29 (Karate Monkey?), enjoy!

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I guess if I were to define the limitations it would be speed and fatigue resistance on long days / enduro's. Other than that a rigid hard tail is good clean, simple fun.

mtbr member
    schellingerb's channel - YouTube

Limitation of rigid bikes is a myth.
    Ghisallo Wheels

I'm really good looking.

CB2
    Jam Econo
    A nice plump front tire make rigid pretty okay on rough, rocky terrain.

Thinking about converting to a Rigid SS-538497_3489827852053_675513041_n.jpg

You'll learn better lines which will tranfer over to when you are riding your FS and improve that experience as well.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 4nbstd View Post
    schellingerb's channel - YouTube
    Limitation of rigid bikes is a myth.
    Only if you drink the Cool Aid.
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SL singlespeed
    GF Superfly 29er HT
    S-Works Roubaix SL3 Dura Ace
    Pake French 75 track

Did I catch a niner?
    Used to ride geared with a lefty then switched to rigid SS. I find my trails more enjoyable and have become one of the fastest in our MTB group rides. The only time I really with for at least a front shock is on new trails where I have no idea where anything is.
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?
    https://www.dollarshaveclub.com/ref/...A0CC/s/tx/cx/1

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by serious View Post
    Only if you drink the Cool Aid.
    Its actually Shotgun™ Energy drink Klunking 2 on Vimeo
    Yeah I only carry cans cause I'm a weight weenie.

SSolo
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBeing View Post
    You have a great base bike to work with but personally I would sell it and get a rigid 29er SS. That gives you two opposite spectrum bikes, each with their own ride qualities and personalities. I'm looking at the same scenario with a recently-purchased f/s 29, and looking at the Nashbar rigid 29 SS just for fun (and tinkering). I rode a fully rigid 29 SS last weekend just to see what it was all about, and it was a ton of fun. Slower, more methodical ride but a more "smell the roses"-type ride. Loved every minute of it, but I also enjoy my full squish too.
    This, sell your Stumpjumper and buy Nashbar SS 29er or Redline Monocog 29er rigid....ride and repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by CB2 View Post
    A nice plump front tire make rigid pretty okay on rough, rocky terrain.

You'll learn better lines which will tranfer over to when you are riding your FS and improve that experience as well.
    Yes, it will teach you much.
    Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life son...

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    Forks are more comfortable and you can go faster downhill with a fork. The standing on a rigid fork is nice. I bet a terralogic fork would be sweet but I don't want to pay for one. I stick with my steel rigid fork unless I am riding my geared FS (which I do most of the time).

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Something like Fox's lockout adjuster, which allows you to adjust the blowoff pressure for the lockout would be a good alternative to going rigid up front. That bit of squish will also cover your butt if you make a mistake. Like in the event you nosedive and case a jump, or front tyre hits a rock too hard, you don't go otb or anything.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Jag Brah View Post
    Something like Fox's lockout adjuster, which allows you to adjust the blowoff pressure for the lockout would be a good alternative to going rigid up front.
    I don't know. To me, lock outs on a sus. fork is NOTHING like a rigid fork. At all. I wouldn't consider it an alternative. I do enjoy my Fox fork with the Terralogic feature, though.

SCRUBDUNKER
    Get a new Carve SL if you can afford it.

Awesome.

Converting that frame will be hard unless you want to use a tensioner (lame). Sliders or a split shell EBB is preferable.

mtbr member
    I ended up buying a Monocog 29er with some bb7s on it. I am going to keep it full rigid. For the riding I intend to use it on, I can get by on a rigid. When I go for the really gnarly stuff or ride with my "fast-racey" buddies I will use the Mount Vision.