mtbr member
    Jan 2004

That's one Lucky Strike

I've had this bike for about 6 years now and although there have been several others in between, this ride is the one that I have spent most of my time on - with gears however. Well, lately it has been getting intermittent use and I thought I'd try a conversion to SS as a way to bring it back into more frequent use. I had the 34x18 gearing ready to go with the tensioner (Rennen), but decided at the last minute to see if it would fit in snug w/o it. With the use of the lucky half-link, it fit snug as a bug in a rug.

Damn that was one Lucky Strike!

Kookas are forged for those interested. Front CR is Extralite (sp?) from a buddy of mine who no longer needed it. Spacers are Nashbar.

The Crossmax SL's have too many miles on them, and might be nearing end of life. I picked them up used and then beat the heck out of them myself.... Any issue with running that rear hub SS?
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Nice Bike!

I have a pair of Lucky Stike frames that I converted to singlespeeds for use in endurance races. My main bike is the older, pre-disk version but my backup bike is the same as yours.

I was able to run the chain without a tensioner...for a while. The chain eventually got loose, and I started having promlems. In the end, I went with ENO hubs.

I can't comment on the suitability of Crossmax wheels for singlespeed use, as I have nerver owend a set. I can't think of any reason they wouldn't work, however.

Good Luck!

Joe
    --
    Joe Partridge

mtbr member
    I run XMax's on my bike, they have been flawless after 3 years of SS duty and used previously on geared bikes. Just make sure you run a wide based cog.

As long as you take good care of the bearings (hubs and freehub) and keep them true they last for ever. I got mine used over 5 years ago and still going strong.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by DiRt DeViL
    I run XMax's on my bike, they have been flawless after 3 years of SS duty and used previously on geared bikes. Just make sure you run a wide based cog.

As long as you take good care of the bearings (hubs and freehub) and keep them true they last for ever. I got mine used over 5 years ago and still going strong.
    Thx. Running the Chris King, which seems to be wide enough - or at least wider than those Shimano DX cogs.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe_Jitsu
    I have a pair of Lucky Stike frames that I converted to singlespeeds for use in endurance races. My main bike is the older, pre-disk version but my backup bike is the same as yours.

I was able to run the chain without a tensioner...for a while. The chain eventually got loose, and I started having promlems. In the end, I went with ENO hubs.

I can't comment on the suitability of Crossmax wheels for singlespeed use, as I have nerver owend a set. I can't think of any reason they wouldn't work, however.

Good Luck!

Joe
    Great! Too bad the Airborne story had all those weird turns, deaths, rebirths, and witness-protection identity changes. I've enjoyed this frame, which was originally supposed to be a Dean, but after 6-months of "2 more weeks" Ariborne shipped me this on in a few days.

Glad to see more of these still around.

Goin' Down ain't bad!!!
    Damn Matt...you do get around....so you got a Lucky uhhhhh.

I've been riding a Strike for about 2 years myself....my buddy Barry Ritchey has had one for probably 8...he's the one that got me interested in them.

I just picked up a Black Widow that I'm gonna move my Lucky components onto. I was gonna unload the Strike on EBay but now ya got me thinkin', maybe I will try my hand at single speed. How much your SStrike weigh???

Hopefully I'll see ya at the IMBA deal this weekend and we can talk more,

Later,
    Dug-da-Goat

"Oh momma, could this really be the end? To be stuck outside of Mojo with the High Side Blues again!!!"

me.
    mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I have been working towards the same goal. I moved most of my parts to my titus and have been slowly buying parts to make the LS a singlespeed. Seeing this makes me want to hurry up.

Michael

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Hey Doug - yeah give it a try, I was suprised to see the gearing work perfectly w/o the need for tensioner. A frame with chainstays like that you want to keep! It's been out to Foothills of course and Cedro lately. Will be at White Mesa this weekend.See ya there.M

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Timo
    Hey Doug - yeah give it a try, I was suprised to see the gearing work perfectly w/o the need for tensioner. A frame with chainstays like that you want to keep! It's been out to Foothills of course and Cedro lately. Will be at White Mesa this weekend.See ya there.M
    White Mesa, what time...which day. Doug you really should try SS. Itsa blast! Matt why didn't you attend GITA. Jen tell you that I saw her. Did not know she was your wife at first Just kidding...

Is this the IMBA crew that will be sposoring the clinic? RCC and I showed them around the Sandias last year.

They are from Florida. It started snowing furiously as we started the 10k descent. We ended up bailing at Oso Corridor due to really bad trail conditions. As you can see be the look on his face...it was extremely cold. Being from Florida, Im sure he was not used to riding in these conditions.

BTW..he was hunkered in the bathroom at the bottom of Oso until the shuttle arrived to bring him back down So when you see them remind them of their last trip here and offer to show them the epic 10k. See the look on their faces
    Last edited by Mtn. Biker123; 10-25-2006 at 08:45 PM.