beer *****es n' bikes

Tensioners suck.

... but old derailleurs set up as tensioners rock. After like a year of experimentation with various tensioners, a gutted, bent, broken 8/9spd LX derailleur works better than all the tensioners combined. The B-tension screw and lateral adjustment is worth its weight in gold... and it will NOT drop the chain, no matter how hard I try. Anyone with tensioner problems this is for you.
    bike dude, velocity employee (this is my personal account)

mtbr member

now it's time

Quote Originally Posted by seely
    ... but old derailleurs set up as tensioners rock. After like a year of experimentation with various tensioners, a gutted, bent, broken 8/9spd LX derailleur works better than all the tensioners combined. The B-tension screw and lateral adjustment is worth its weight in gold... and it will NOT drop the chain, no matter how hard I try. Anyone with tensioner problems this is for you.
    now, get ENO

The Top Cap Guy
    Quote Originally Posted by ernesto_from_Wisconsin
    now, get ENO
    Hmmm - never saw that coming..... .lol

Seely - let's see a picture of it - some derailleur tensioners I've seen have been cut apart and only use the top pulley...

FF
    "If I'm leading, I'm bleeding."

Just Ride!
    The other day, I dropped the chain only to find that my Singleator had failed. I disassembled the unit on the side of the trail to find one end of the spring had straightend itself out under load and was of little use. To be able to complete my ride, I tossed the spring, seal washer, and clip into the back pack, then slid the inner collar into the unit from the outside. I installed the tensioner, set the proper tension and cranked down the pivot bolt which locks the two piecs together, forming one rigid unit. All is still well, it just has constant tension all of the time and requires an allen wrench for wheel removal. I am sure the ENO or EBB is the end all answer in some opinions, but this is working great if you are on a budget and are stuck with what you have.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

i never had a problem with my surly singleator

rode it for a year in "push up" mode and it performed flawlessly. only bought a dedicated SS because my converted M2 had no disc tabs.

said M2 in action:
    [size=1][/size]

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

... and if we just ... sorry, i couldn't find a bigger pic. (nm)

narcoleptic marmot
    [size=1][/size]

beer *****es n' bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast Freddy
    Hmmm - never saw that coming..... .lol

Seely - let's see a picture of it - some derailleur tensioners I've seen have been cut apart and only use the top pulley...

FF

Thats how I did it... I cut the cage short and only run the top pulley. I used a longer bolt to run through the pulley and the other side of the cage, finished off by a Nylock nut and some Loc-Tite. Sorry no pictures... I lost the cable for my digi cam (its an old proprietary cable too) Anyways its ghetto as crap, ugly but it works so stinkin' good its rediculous. Beautifully smooth, and you can fine tune it all day long on the bike with a screwdriver.

The only problem I had was the pulley was striking the rear 20T cog (44x20 setup... its a commuter). This was solved by adjusting the derailleur so the chain is slightly outboard, which actually compensates for my cog spacing which wasn't quite perfect to begin with. The derailleur seems far more forgiving on less than perfect chainlines than any tensioner I used.

I put the tensioner through its paces today, dropped off some good size curbs, rode down a small set of stairs, slammed it going up some curbs, and it never even skips. Like buttah.
    bike dude, velocity employee (this is my personal account)

gentle like

hey eSSq ...

that's great pic.

but i gotta ask - how late were you leaving the "level the pedals and get your rump off the seat" 'till?

maybe i just get all nervous and have meself ready way ahead of time.

where's that shot taken? looks like a gorgeous trail.