Wzl
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Tensioner for a fixie conversion

In the Soulcraft Convert instructions it says that the convert will not work with a fixed gear set up. Anyone know of any tensioner device that will? I've got two old raod frames collecting dust that would be worthy of fixin. Any suggestions?

mtbr member

Yes...

Quote Originally Posted by XTRKona
    In the Soulcraft Convert instructions it says that the convert will not work with a fixed gear set up. Anyone know of any tensioner device that will? I've got two old raod frames collecting dust that would be worthy of fixin. Any suggestions?
    The solution is called ENO eccentric hub.

If you use a standard tensioner, you will run into issues. Either that, or play around with chain lengths and cogs to get the right fit. I am assuming your bikes there have vert drops?

If you have semi-horizontals, you're ok. You can get a conveter to run a standard hub a la fixie, and use a Surly Tug Nut tensioner to take up the slack:

http://www.surlybikes.com/parts/tuggnut_pop.html

And this

http://www.surlybikes.com/parts/fixxer_pop.html

I hope this helps.

mtbr member

Eno

A tensioner won't work for you. You can either:

Mess around with different chainring/cog/chain-lengths to find something that will work with vertical dropouts,

-or-

Get one of these: http://www.whiteind.com/ENO_web/eric.html

-or-

Have Gene Spicer or somebody put some track ends on there for you.

Good luck!
    James
    ---------------
    my bike sucks!

"Mr. Britannica"
    you can't use any chain tensioner for FG

mtbr member
    Well...I've heard of people running fixed without a tensioner , but you'd have to be very careful never to try to coast, skid, slow down with your legs...basically don't do any of the things that make a fixie more fun than a freewheel bike. That means using two brakes and never loading the bottom run of your chain. Sounds like too much caution to be taking to be riding the simplest bicycle you can get.

You see, the trouble with tensioners is that they put tension on the slack side of the chain, because as long as you're pedaling forward, the top run of the chain is transferring power, and the bottom run is just completing the circuit. When you start skidding or riding backwards, it's the other way around, and that puts a whole lot of force on the tensioner, typically either breaking it if it's a fixed tensioner, or dropping your chain if it's a spring-loaded tensioner.

However, if your road frames are old enough (or retro-cool enough), you might have a bit of space in your dropouts to give you sliding room for some gearing options. Otherwise, like everyone else said, you either need that magic ratio (finding it is one of the best feelings ever) or you need to drop some cash on an eccentric hub.

King Pin

Good job!

If you INDEED have "two old raod frames worthy of fixin"...then one or both have horizontal drops capable of providing enough chain tension to do so!

All you need are dropouts capable of providing the adjustment you need......perhaps "semi-horizontal"...?? If you can slide the rear wheel back in the drops to provide good chain tension, you're golden!

Quick release scewers do not apply....you need some good old track nuts.

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    I've never done it, but the "ghost ring" method might work. Anyone actually try it?
    "Keep your burgers lean and your tires fat." -h.d. | ssoft | flickr

mtbr member

scary

Quote Originally Posted by Drevil
    I've never done it, but the "ghost ring" method might work. Anyone actually try it?
    Would I be like scared n' stuff? I don't like ghosts. As a matter of fact, I think I'm haunted some times.

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    'Nesto, guess which comic strip character you remind me of?

off-beat humor...

beady eyes...

five o'clock shadow...

"Keep your burgers lean and your tires fat." -h.d. | ssoft | flickr

mtbr member

4:49

'Nesto, guess which comic strip character you remind me of?

off-beat humor...
    beady eyes...
    five o'clock shadow...
    [/URL]

Actually, I have more like a 4:49 PM shadow, which reminds me, I better get goin'!

Hasta Luego cholos!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    the ghost cog sounds nifty, in a spooky way. i tried it briefly around my neighboorhood, but it doesnt seem "secure" enough for my liking. i'd work towards the magic ratio, or support ErNestO prime sponsors..
    Last edited by halfinch; 02-16-2005 at 08:50 PM. Reason: i before e...

Wzl
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Neither of these old frames are worthy of much, which is why they are sitting around collecting dust. Both are aluminum crit frames which are just find for donut racing but really really beat up your back side and lower back. My intenion with a fixie is to have a fun (read steel) commuter bike since my commute is essentially 5 miles of flat with the only difficulties comming from the intense spring winds we get here in ABQ. Of course the post work commute can be a 50 miler when we get a little more sun time around here which is why the crit frames suck.

So looks like I will start trying to find a deal on a Soma Rush - black - 53cm - in case anyone's got one.

Thanks for all the info tho....

the wrench
    after reading this thread last night i was inspired to comvert my road bike rigt then and there. so i went to the bike shop picked up a few cogs. i have put a phantom gear on a mtb before but as the chain would loosen and tighten through its revolution it would sometimes catch and fall off. i was going to fix the problem by adding some plates on the outside almost like a double bashguard setup.

so i get home take apart my cassette re space everything go and put the chain on and thats when i had an epifany(sp) of "fack gad dammit. ssob, etc..." well the problem was that on roadbikes the chainstays are 1)shorter. 2)they are almost always straight and not bent. what this caused is the phantom gear would have to theroetically intersect the chain stay. however on a mtn frame the chainstays are wider and they also are bent for more clearence thus leaving ample space for a cog to sit between the upper and lower portions of chain.

upon some rough measuring of a really short b were to be used with a mabye <40mm chainline and using a cassette hub to space in that far or a 5 speed freewheel hub to space in that far there would probably be enough room for a small phantom gear.
    do it, do it DO IT!!
    DOOOO IIIIIT!!

"Mr. Britannica"
    Neither of these old frames are worthy of much, which is why they are sitting around collecting dust. Both are aluminum crit frames which are just find for donut racing but really really beat up your back side and lower back. My intenion with a fixie is to have a fun (read steel) commuter bike since my commute is essentially 5 miles of flat with the only difficulties comming from the intense spring winds we get here in ABQ. Of course the post work commute can be a 50 miler when we get a little more sun time around here which is why the crit frames suck.

So looks like I will start trying to find a deal on a Soma Rush - black - 53cm - in case anyone's got one.

Thanks for all the info tho....

If you're willing to get Surly and take what colors are available, Crosschecks (long horiz d/o) and Steamrollers (limited sizes) can be had new for 287 at aebike.

Wzl
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by roadiegonebad
    If you're willing to get Surly and take what colors are available, Crosschecks (long horiz d/o) and Steamrollers (limited sizes) can be had new for 287 at aebike.
    Didn't know the Crosscheck had horizontal dropouts - might could work.

Last fall I found a guy who would sell me a Soma Rush with fork for about that. Never took the plunge tho...