mtbr member

Tensioner Devices for Conversions

Tensioner devices...

Okay, I've been running the generation 2 Singleator (the one with the big cage) and thought it was pretty good even though it would bounce out of the way, ie decrease chain tension over chatter bumps. I liked how I had th option to tension the chain "up", increasing wrap around the cog.

Last night, however, the spiral spring came out of the pinhole it secures in, and left me with a very slack chain. My on-trail fix was so good that I want a new tensioner. I used the rubber band from my CoolTool to cinch the Singleator up, and it worked better than it ever has.

Who makes the tensioner that one sets tension on, then to release the wheel one has to push a "release" that only then lets it swing down and away?

Who else makes good "push up" tensioners?

paintbucket
    Pffft on your tensioner.

http://www.soulcraftbikes.com/id57.htm
    When the going gets weird its bedtime.

Combat Wombat

I checked one of these out at a LBS.

Quote Originally Posted by wooglin
    Definately looks solid and seems well designed. A little pricey though for something to just tension a chain.

Brian

mtbr member
    Bingo, that's it!

Thanks, Wooglin.

glyphic bacon

I have a soulcraft convert...

...and it doesn't work perfectly. It looks nice and is built ruggedly, and the delrin roller with sealed bearing is great. But I've had problems with it slightly slipping after some hard rides, resulting in a fairly saggy chain at the end of the trail. I've fussed with it, scored the metal mating surfaces between the tensioner and derailleur hangar (and used beeswax as recommended here), and it still slips some. It still works though, the chain hasn't slipped or anything, but it's far from perfection. And considering how much it costs, I'd have to say it doesn't meet with my expectations. I'll probably try and rig it as a push down tensioner and see if that cures the prob.

I don't know if you have seen the captive chainring/cassette cog tensioner idea (as shown in the FAQ). It's a "floating" chainring inserted between the upper and lower chain (near the rear cog). It very simply and (apparently) effectively keep the chain taught...and will not fall out like you might think. It's cheap, light, simple, tough, and wont slip or dangle down in a way that can be ripped off by a root or rock. Might want to give it a shot, I may do it myself soon.

Other than that, and I almost hate to say it, the best tensioner I've seen used for a convert is an old shimano derailleur rigged to run in one gear/position.

Good luck...

Quote Originally Posted by BrianU
    Definately looks solid and seems well designed. A little pricey though for something to just tension a chain.

Brian

mtbr member
    ok, i'm gonna toss in a newbie to the tensioner market. i'm fixing to order one (i.e. as soon as i post this) because it is what i was wanting in a tensioner. the Singulator, nor the Convert totally satisfied me. this one does. bear in mind, i have not ridden one of these, and they were just released to the public about 2 weeks ago.

www.rennendesigngroup.com

mtbr member
    Ziggy, thanks for posting input! Is the Convert supposed to bind into position just by friction/tension on the dropout when you cinch it down? Can you adjust that roller for chainline? It sure is pricey.

Inbred, man, that one's pricey, too! Can you tell if the Rennen can be adjusted for chainline? It doesn't look like it, but their website doesn't like my browser much, so it was hard to navigate around.

mtbr member
    nah, it can't be. if you want a little more info, check this thread:

http://www.hcor.net/postlite16537-.html

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Half links

Harris Cyclery has half links. They are only a couple of bucks. You might have to find a different gear combo though.