Thread: tenniss elbow

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

tenniss elbow

Anyone get tennis elbow related to riding SS? I mean, from pulling up on bars while grinding out steep climbs? Perhaps transitioning to a swept bar like a Jones Loop bar or similar will help?

I'm currently running a 7 deg sweep riser bar. Thought the pain in my elbow was from riding rigid so I put a Reba on there, helped a little but the tendonitis is back with a vengeance after riding some tight, twisty trails with lots of short steep climbs that had me wrastling the bar. Maybe I shouldn't do that (?).

Thoughts????

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    SS rigid here with similar occasional issues.

Stateline Falls, Watauga
    Same problem here. I've even had surgery to relieve the pain from lateral epicondylitis, which helped for about a year but the pain still comes back if I don't do the proper exercises. I ride SS rigid, but I'm not sure if my cycling or paddling is the real cause. This device and associated exercises helps alot. More than surgical relief, in fact...

Amazon.com: Thera-Band Flexbar Hand Exerciser - Tennis Elbow Relief Bar: Health & Personal Care
    It never gets easier, you just go faster. -Greg LeMond
    I'm not as fast as I think I am. -JeffL

I'm your density
    I had a bad case of it when I started SSing (also rigid). I installed some Ergon GC2 grips; between that and consciously relaxing my death grip on climbs, it eventually went away.
    "Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left."
    Ty Webb

No known cure
    I only have issues in one elbow. Maybe it's from something else.
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

Stateline Falls, Watauga
    All my trouble has always been in only one elbow. And Ergons don't help - I've used Ergons for over 5 years and they help greatly with wrist issues. But only the Theraband exerciser I linked above helps me with the tennis elbow pain.
    It never gets easier, you just go faster. -Greg LeMond
    I'm not as fast as I think I am. -JeffL

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Some of the guys I ride with use Jones bars or Mary bars or similar and swear by them, primarily for the control they feel while riding through technical singletrack. And these guys get vertical a lot, frequently unweighting the front, wheelies, manuals, etc.

When I put my hands out and simulate a rowing motion, it feels much more comfortable with the hands rotated at an angle simulating greater sweep. But when I simulate my preferred position for downhill, then I'm looking for much less sweep. This is why I abandoned the Carnegie bars (24 deg sweep) in the past - they felt "OK" for cruising around, pretty good for tight/twisty technical singletrack, but not good for fast downhills. Maybe I just didn't give them enough time to get used to it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    try rotating your bars back so they sweep back but also down a little. makes all the difference for me. never liked the ergons.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by BmoreKen View Post
    Some of the guys I ride with use Jones bars or Mary bars or similar and swear by them, primarily for the control they feel while riding through technical singletrack. And these guys get vertical a lot, frequently unweighting the front, wheelies, manuals, etc.

When I put my hands out and simulate a rowing motion, it feels much more comfortable with the hands rotated at an angle simulating greater sweep. But when I simulate my preferred position for downhill, then I'm looking for much less sweep. This is why I abandoned the Carnegie bars (24 deg sweep) in the past - they felt "OK" for cruising around, pretty good for tight/twisty technical singletrack, but not good for fast downhills. Maybe I just didn't give them enough time to get used to it.
    I get this issue sometimes. Do you use bar ends? From reading your posts it doesn't sound like you do. I found that using bar ends felt good but killed my elbows. I have used all forms of swept bars, but I have gone back to more of a traditional wide bar.

I have not tried rotating them down at all like the previous post ^.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    i have this also on my left elbow. i ride a rigid 29er

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by saki View Post
    i have this also on my left elbow. i ride a rigid 29er
    Tendonitis in the elbow - main cause, poor shoulder function.

mtbr member
    I get elbow pain if I use a widish bar. One with 10 or more degrees of sweep makes it worse. A narrow flat bar (FSA SL-K) with bar ends alleviated the issue for me. A wide bar makes me flare out my elbows which also was causing some neck/shoulder stiffness. The FSA bar causes me to keep my elbows tucked and my upper body (neck/shoulders) relaxed through the rough stuff.

mtbr member

Tennis Elbow

I had it bad when I first started SSing, especially in my left elbow. My remedy was bar ends. It may sound crazy but just turning your grip 90 degrees takes a lot of the strain off your elbow and allows your biceps to pull in more of a straight line. I now do all my climbing on the bar ends and no more pain.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    wow thanks bruce i thougt it was old age

Moderator Moderator
    Jan 2004

Theraband bar will fix it right up

I have had numerous bouts of elbow tendonitis going back more than 10 years from when I was a serious rock climber, and I tried *everything* - acupuncture, diet, new grips/positions on the bike, ibuprofen, etc. I knew surgical outcomes are mediocre at best (and I didn't have the $ anyway) but then I read this:

Phys Ed: An Easy Fix for Tennis Elbow? - NYTimes.com

Note that the researchers actually had to *stop the study* because the bar/exercise was working so well that it would have been unethical to continue making the placebo/PT group continue.

And no, it's not a scam. The exercise is easy to learn (even if you're a spaz like me) and the bar costs like $15. Nothing else to buy. Do it 5 times a day for 10-20 reps on each arm and I pretty much guarantee you'll be good to go in a couple of weeks.

Amazon.com: Thera-Band Flexbar Hand Exerciser - Tennis Elbow Relief Bar: Sports & Outdoors

-Walt
    Waltworks Custom Bicycles
    Park City, UT USA
    www.waltworks.com
    waltworks.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    hey walt thanks 15 bucks and looks way more convenient thanks

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    yes as nuts as it sounds, mounted bar end inside the grips about 16" apart, reason being changing hand positions seems to help me a ton, maybe bar end could provide the same relief but i like the lowered position.